Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tips do folks have for getting good pics of black dogs? I’ve read that using a dark background is better, and to try to have as bright a light as possible. Any other tips? I have an older SLR I can dig out to try to get some better shots of Gracie. Any tips for iPhones?
Here’s a few recent shots- sunlight helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
The newest iPhone has a portrait mode that is very good with black dogs. Also, I seem to get my best photos outside in natural lighting, slightly overcast or filtered sunlight is great. The BEST place to photograph a black dog is at the beach. An attractive collar can add a lot to the photo because it provides context to the viewer. These are all just my opinions.

There is an inactive PF member who is a professional photographer. Here are his tips: Camera advice for good poodle pictures

I love pictures of Gracie! You cannot post too many, even if you think they are not "good."

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It's such a struggle!

I agree with Newport. Rather than super bright light, you want it to be gently diffused (sheer drapes, light cloud cover, etc.). And natural is generally best.

Also, try to avoid backlighting. That's the problem I think you're having in many of those photos you shared.

As for iPhone vs. SLR, I prefer my iPhone (even though it's a 7 and getting rather creaky) because it's what I always have on me. When photographing tricky subjects, quantity is what often leads to quality; for every dozen images, one might be a keeper if you're lucky. So the camera that's on you most is going to increase your odds.

With iPhone photos, I almost always brighten them up with the VSCO app:

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
There was a gent here on the forum who posted tips on photographing a black dog, he actually photographed his dog against a dark background and used daylight lamps the effect was amazing

·
Registered
555 Posts
A few seconds in Photoshop Express (free iPhone app) can really put some detail back into the blacks.

I’m no expert, but here is a quick example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow great tips! I went back to Poodle rick’s post and it was helpful. I downloaded the photo express app and attached are a few edits I made, including some puppy pics. What a difference. This is going to be fun!

The VSCO app appears to cost money so I’ll keep that one on. The back burner for now. I have a IPhone 7 too and am encouraged that it will probably do what I need it to do. But I do need to dig out my DSLR, it’s older, still uses the cards, but it took good pics.
The beach pics will have to wait for spring/ summer, too cold in upstate NY, everything is ice!
Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me too, she is so cute chasing bubbles!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
That's strange! The VSCO app I have was free, though you can purchase additional photo filters in-app if you like.

Regardless, I'm glad you're having fun with your photos! I collect cameras, but they've mostly gathered dust since I discovered Instagram in 2011. Now it's pretty much all iPhone, all the time.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's strange! The VSCO app I have was free, though you can purchase additional photo filters in-app if you like.

Regardless, I'm glad you're having fun with your photos! I collect cameras, but they've mostly gathered dust since I discovered Instagram in 2011. Now it's pretty much all iPhone, all the time.
I’ll try VSCO again, I was probably looking at the wrong one. You can’t beat the convenience of the IPhone!

·
Registered
403 Posts
For Windows/Mac/Linux users there is a free open source photo editor called GIMP. It does much of the same layering and tone adjustment stuff that Photoshop does. I used it one year to touch up a Christmas card picture of Snarky watching a cardinal in a snow storm. I brightened the red of the cardinal and the green of the hollies it was perched in. I also brightened Snarky's fur, which was looking grey and washed out under the snow and grey sky.
There's a bit of a learning curve, because layering isn't something most amateurs need to worry about, but you can get good results. And it's free.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I find it really hard get a good photo of diva. I only recently learned that, on your phone before you take a pic, if you click on the part of the dog you want lighter it brightens up. That helps abit. Sunlights always best. I have a make up ring light (not sure of the proper name) I use it for grooming to see the darker areas, they work well for photos to but It’s a lamp though so I can’t chase the dogs around taking pics 😄

1 - 12 of 12 Posts