Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I wash Phooey's face when I give him a bath without getting soap in his eyes. And what kind of brush should I use?:bathbaby:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Oh dear. Is he wet in that picture? I know that light colored dogs get staining around their mouth from food, but he seems to be stained all the way up his muzzle. Do his eyes run?

Boy, I think this guy is a prime candidate for a shaved face! BTW... is Phooey a purebred poodle?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use tear-free baby shampoo on my dogs faces, just in case some gets in their eyes. We like a clean-shaven face here too, it really does help keep things cleaner. GL!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Tearless puppy shampoo can be used for the body and face. But, I really love the blueberry vanilla face scrub. It helps combat the stains, smells great and works well on staining. It's made by Spa Lavish, here's the link.

http://www.petdiscounters.com/Spa-Lavish-Pet-Fresh-Facial-Scrub-Blue-Berry-Vanilla-p9494.html

I also like to give my cream colored Havanese, who is prone to staining greek style yogurt that I get from trader joe's. I but full fat, plain one.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I don't really think the floral basket is doing this dog any justice, he needs a complete grooming done you should probably take him to a professional groomer. Is he a purebred? He looks like a lhasa mix.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
From what I understand "tearless" isn't always tearless or safe for the eyes, so be careful. I think a soft sponge or washcloth can help, but I do agree Phooey looks like he needs a start over. It shouldn't take long for the hair to grow back if you're really in love w/ the fuzzy face. I know he had some health issues that prevented him from being groomed; is there a way you could do it at home?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Phooey came from a shelter and I think couldn't be bathed right away due to neutering. So that explains why he looks the way he does!

We don't use special shampoo on our guys, we're just very careful not to let it get in their eyes. I find when you're washing their face they tend to shut their eyes anyway. Just be careful to move fairly slowly and carefully and you should be fine. Stripping him right down for now might be your best bet. You might want to go to a pro groomer for this first one. If you do it yourself, I guess a wire comb would be best? Just move very slowly and carefully as it could really hurt him if he's super matted (as he seems to be in the photo). I'm looking forward to the after photos!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ok. Now I understand better. That brownish staining won't wash off. I'd for sure totally shave his face and start over.

I use normal shampoo. I think the clarifying ones are best. Don't worry. It isn't hard to keep it out of their eyes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts