Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else stress when it rains? My 34 week old poodle, Phoebe loves water and im glad she does don’t get me wrong but it can be frustrating. We live in Oklahoma so naturally during spring we have tons of rain and Phoebe is set in rolling in the mud or even just laying in the down pour. Usually we go on once daily long jogs and then she is able to run around our very large yard as much as she wants all day. But I’m wondering how I can keep her happy indoors after a jog on very rainy days, as I unfortunately don’t have the ability to give her a bath everyday it rains. Once summer hits I would love to get her a dog pool to use most days since it will be warm and she will dry faster. Also here is a picture of her first time at the lake and let me tell you it was a struggle getting her out of the water!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I understand your frustration. I always thought it would be fun to have a water and retriever loving dog which it is but I never thought of how hard it would be when I didn’t want her to go in the water. She comes to the door to come in and is soaking so I have to go out and dry her off some before I let her in. We live on the water and she is usually out playing in the water when she is outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
She's such a cutie!

Have you considered investing in an indoor exercise pen? We have this one, which is at an amazing price right now:

I have no idea how I ever raised a puppy without one. As I type this, 11-month-old Peggy is snoozing in hers after a rainy-day play session with her puppy buddies.

She does all her eating and drinking in there. We give her stuff to shred and chew, and we used to spend a lot of time in there with her when she was younger, so it's a happy place for her. She'll now go in there on her own when she's really tired because she's learned it's a place to settle down.

When puppies seem restless indoors, assuming they're getting appropriate physical and mental exercise, sometimes it's just that they don't know what to do with themselves. So we bend over backwards, trying to entertain them, when really what we should be doing is teaching them how to chill out.

An exercise pen is great for this. PLUS it helps to contain the mess, which I love. If Peggy didn't have her pen, she'd be drying out on the couch right now. No, thanks. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand your frustration. I always thought it would be fun to have a water and retriever loving dog which it is but I never thought of how hard it would be when I didn’t want her to go in the water. She comes to the door to come in and is soaking so I have to go out and dry her off some before I let her in. We live on the water and she is usually out playing in the water when she is outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen to that! My other dog is a German Shepard mix and she hates water, won’t even go out when it rains. So this water loving dog has been a new experience for sure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's such a cutie!

Have you considered investing in an indoor exercise pen? We have this one, which is at an amazing price right now:

I have no idea how I ever raised a puppy without one. As I type this, 11-month-old Peggy is snoozing in hers after a rainy-day play session with her puppy buddies.

She does all her eating and drinking in there. We give her stuff to shred and chew, and we used to spend a lot of time in there with her when she was younger, so it's a happy place for her. She'll now go in there on her own when she's really tired because she's learned it's a place to settle down.

When puppies seem restless indoors, assuming they're getting appropriate physical and mental exercise, sometimes it's just that they don't know what to do with themselves. So we bend over backwards, trying to entertain them, when really what we should be doing is teaching them how to chill out.

An exercise pen is great for this. PLUS it helps to contain the mess, which I love. If Peggy didn't have her pen, she'd be drying out on the couch right now. No, thanks. :)
Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely have to try it, I tried to create a relationship like that with her crate and it was very unsuccessful. Not sure why she hates her crate as my other dog who lives with us loves her crate.
I agree drying on the couch is not an option :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts