Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Bless your heart ❤. Sending hugs. What a cute puppy! Be kind to yourself—it is humanly impossible to be all places at all times. The summer months here in Florida are a time when pesticides are used heavily and I struggle with how to keep dogs and children safe as well. Take care and when you are ready you can call the breeder about a puppy.
 

·
Registered
Dior The Illest Na Na, Phoebe The Baddest Broad
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am so very, very sorry. I too am shocked that she was not treated immediately, and that such extremely toxic pesticides are available with so little regulation or even warning.
RIGHT!!!, the worst part is that on the bag it has kids and dogs on it, making it seem as tho it is safe.
 

·
Registered
Dior The Illest Na Na, Phoebe The Baddest Broad
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think your dog died due to an unfortunate intersection of three events:

1) Underestimation. Like many families, yours underestimated the ability of pets (and small children) to get into poison. It's an unknown how long your dog had ingested it before you discovered it in her stool that morning, but I'll guess the night before. By that time, a lot of it would have been absorbed into her 2-lb. body.

2) Possibly the Pandemic. Your dog might have been an indirect casualty of Covid. This is similar to many people who had signs of a heart attack or stroke and hoped it was nothing b/c they were fearful about catching it at the ER... but was something and they died. You weren't afraid to go to the vet's office, but their office policy and patient backup was due to their fears of catching Covid.

3) Poison control issues are time sensitive.

"We brought her to the emergency room at 9 AM in the morning where there was a wait lasting a couple hours, and they just had us sit in the car. They treated her at around 7-8pm which was 10-11 hours AFTER we brought her." - @diorthebaddest

Just as not discovering when she ate the poison, a additional two hour wait in your car with the dog from 9 to 11am was time lost. In this case may not have made a difference. Ideally, however, you would have been made aware of that two hour delay and referred to the nearest ER Vet Hospital. This was likely either human error or poor judgement by the vet's office, i.e. they thought they could get her in much faster, but time flew as they dealt with other emergencies. Please remember that an ER Vet Hospital might have been backed up too; it's another unknown - so don't beat yourself up about that.

Unclear is what they did with your dog from 11am to 7-8pm. I'm sure she wasn't just sitting in a cage. My guess is they immediately did the usual treatment for bromethalin rat poison and checked her periodically for observation. I'll guess that wasn't enough so they tried other methods in the evening. Their report should show what that was.

By 8pm at the vet's, your dog would have had ingested the poison likely up to 24 hours earlier, and at 2 lbs she was too small and the ingested quantity too large. Nothing would have worked or saved her.

Dior, I'm very sad along with you that this happened, but I think it was Phoebe's fate. Terrible things do happen to good people and good dogs. I would be mad too, but mainly at fate... and then I'd struggle to not get stuck in the "if only" thinking trap... and then I'd grieve.

One last thought is your breeder was extremely generous to offer you another puppy for free. I've never heard of this happening in accident cases. Never. And like you said, it's too soon, just let her know that in the future when your heart has healed enough, you might be ready to accept her offer.

Here's a cyber hug and you're in my prayers.

~ Vita
Thank you so much, Covid definitely has ALOT to do with her untimely demise. I was also told they were short staff. The breeder is very kind and I cannot even believe they cared enough to do that for me.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,770 Posts
RIGHT!!!, the worst part is that on the bag it has kids and dogs on it, making it seem as tho it is safe.
That sort of marketing deception is all too common. :(

Thinking of you and your little one today. And Dior, too. I’m sure she’s missing her little sister.
 

·
Registered
Dior The Illest Na Na, Phoebe The Baddest Broad
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I am so terribly sorry for your loss of your Phoebe! My heart breaks reading this. Prayers to you and your family.
thank you so much!
 

·
Registered
Dior The Illest Na Na, Phoebe The Baddest Broad
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am so very, very sorry. I too am shocked that she was not treated immediately, and that such extremely toxic pesticides are available with so little regulation or even warning.
right! literally had it been any other form of rodenticide she'd still be here today.
 

·
Registered
Dior The Illest Na Na, Phoebe The Baddest Broad
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hugs. My childhood heart dog died after getting hit by a car after digging out from under our fence. It wasn't a quick death; he had an internal rupture the vet didn't find immediately. The poor dog lingered for almost two weeks.

The thing his death taught me is that blame can really cut you up inside. Maybe if my vet was more experienced or had better diagnostic equipment he would have found the leak in time to save my dog. Maybe if we'd spent money on better fencing my dog wouldn't have tunneled out. Maybe if I'd taken the dog on a walk instead of trusting the fence the dog wouldn't have escaped. Maybe if we'd neutered him instead of leaving him intact he wouldn't have wanted to go roaming. However, no amount of guilt, blame, and what-ifs were going to bring him back.

The best I could do was learn from my mistakes and do better by my next dog.
I am so sorry for your loss!, and exactly I feel like we as owners blame ourselves all the time. At first I went through the same thing, I wanted so badly just to go back in time and prevent everything that had occurred. The way I've been able to find a bit of peace is considering the great life we gave her while she was with us. People say I spoil the crap out of my dogs (strollers, bows, home-cooked meals) but the truth is you never know when they could be gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
My dear sweet Phoebe died of bromethalin toxicity. Bromethalin is a neurotoxin which stops brain function and unlike other forms of rat poison has no antidote. You can only try to get them to throw it up, prevent absorption, and try to reduce its effects.

My mom put tomcat rat poison under my bed (a couple weeks ago) which I had no idea about, and 2 pound Phoebe wiggled her way under there and ate an entire block. I did not notice she had even eaten any until I found it in her stool.

We brought her to the emergency room at 9 AM in the morning where there was a wait lasting a couple hours, and they just had us sit in the car. They treated her at around 7-8pm which was 10-11 hours AFTER we brought her. I will NEVER forgive that practice and I was told she was left unattended numerous times once they got her in.

View attachment 477588

Phoebe’s brain had begun to swell and she had stopped breathing, the rest my mom had to take the phone because I couldn’t handle it.

The place I got her from is offering me a replacement puppy for free and the insurance we had for her is covering 80% of everything but I’m not ready for another puppy after the traumatic loss and the treatment at the vet center.

I haven’t even yet buried Phoebe in her casket and I have many questions and hoping someone can help me fully grasp what happened. View attachment 477575 View attachment 477576
So sorry for your loss, I have always tried not to use rat poison , because once the rats die they crawl somewhere and get stinky , do use tomcat but place cheese on them only . My cavapoo is two and I watch her
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. My heart is weeping for you and also for your mom. This is such a dreadful ordeal for both of you. I always have a huge fear that one of our neighbours will use some kind of bait to kill rodents and one of my dogs may find the dead and now highly toxic animal and also fall victim. We have a really bad mouse plague in the bush in Australia at the moment and one of my dogs has caught three mice in the last few days. I am constantly watching him just in case one of them has been baited. Luckily we have a great vet service. It's a tragedy that your veterinary services are working under such horrible restrictions still. I'm sure they are also heartbroken over your little dog. That is a truly lovely gesture from the breeder to offer another pup to you. I can understand your reluctance right now, but this may change over the coming days as you begin to come to terms with this loss. Grieving is a process that can't be rushed and is a very individual thing. It took me over a year to get to the point where I was ready for another pup after one of mine died. I'm sending lots of love and blessings to you in you heartbreak and keeping you and your mom in my prayers as you work through this difficult time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Phoebe. Please do not blame yourself or your mother. I am sure she is feeling very upset as it is. Just remember that Phoebe is enjoying a wonderful place with no pain or problems. It is possible that a new pupppy just might be the best medicine for your grief.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Oh no! What a tragedy. I am so very sorry. Sending hugs and comfort. It sounds like you have a wonderful, caring breeder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
I am so sorry to hear, sending hugs.
 
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Top