Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our club's annual main trials yesterday and today. It is about 15-20 minutes from home so I opted to work from my vehicle rather than taking up crate space since that space is limited in our lobby area and leaving someone else who hadn't planned on doing so working from their vehicle. I also opted for going in the mornings for versatility with Lily and then coming home to get Javelin for beginner novice late in the trial. Yesterday Lily stayed home in the afternoon, but today she came back with us for veterans which followed beginner novice.

Lily did not qualify in versatility either day, but she worked happy both days and she did great for the exercises she Qd. Yesterday we had heeling and signals as our first utility exercise and I think she read some hand movement on my part as a stand stay as a moving stand, but she Qd all of the other exercises. Today she sat instead of dropping on the open drop on recall and her go outs weren't good, but again she worked happy.

Yesterday, Javelin did his up stress bouncing and mouthing on the heeling, so I asked to be excused. This does seem to have paid off since he didn't do it today. His heeling had two big lags, but was otherwise serviceable and his figure eight was pretty nice. He ended up excused on the sit for exam since he wouldn't let the judge touch his head and acted a little upset over it. He has a gunky ear at the moment and I worked on cleaning it when I was home at lunch time so I think that is why he was naughty with her. Although she also approached for the exams pretty abruptly (thought so too in veterans on the stand for exam). I am happy he seems to be getting the message that being a dope on the heeling has to stop. Tomorrow I will take a good look at what is going on in the ear department.

Lily and I placed second out of five who showed in veterans. this is a very nice class to show in since it is really a way to give recognition to a dog who has had a long and happy working life. All of the dogs have to be seven or older. We had two ten year olds, one nine and two eight year olds in the class. In addition to a placement rosette we also got a money prize and a very nice red white and blue rosette with Lily's registered name and her titles customized on it. She also got a toy which she is now napping with.

While I was super happy not to be sleeping in a hotel for a third weekend in a row this weekend I think I may have to reconsider my strategy for at home shows and plan on crating even if just by tailgating if I am taking both Lily and Javelin.

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Did you work happy and take those deep breaths? Congratulations on getting Lily back to happy and her performance veteran award! Next year, I’m sure you will never have to excuse Javy, unless he has ear problems. They FINALLY grow up:)

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Congratulations on Lily placing second in veterans. That’s wonderful. As to Javelin, I don’t blame him. If I had a funky ear I wouldn’t want some strange judge getting close to my head. Hopefully it’s not an infection.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Congratulation to Lily and it sounds like Jav may have a slight ear infection. We have already had one bad one, it was awful. You certainly do keep busy!

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am happy to not have any external events on the calendar today so will be doing some cooking and grooming (need to see what the story with Javvy's ear is). It didn't smell funky, but it looked funky and he's been shaking his head.

I did make sure I did some deep breathing these days and I do think it will help us.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Congratulations to Lily! The completion world is very new to me. I am unfamiliar with the rules for formal obedience. I know it is a lot of hard work to enter in competitions. Hope Javy feels better. I know you guys are gonna do great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Nice work, yet very hectic, as you say! Maybe a blessing in disguise for this weekend, since you were able to start work on Javelin's ear a little sooner. I'm sure it will clear it up quickly!

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just brought Javelin down from my grooming room. I got a lot of wax out of both of his ears. They don't smell infected. I am guessing that they got ahead of me with all of the traveling we've done in recent weeks. I don't like to make any grooming highly stressful for either the dogs or for me so I stopped when he seemed to have had it. I combed him out, trimmed his "bangs" and washed his from legs since he smelled a bit of pee. I will look at his ears every day this week to get any remaining wax out and make sure they are really okay without a vet visit.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I’m glad it’s doesn’t appear to be anything more than excess wax.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I just discovered this morning how long the hair in Oliver's ears had grown, and luckily had my small scissors with us so could trim. I think the long hair and resulting reduced air flow mean a Zymox when we go home tomorrow. It got away from me.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Congratulations to you and Lily, and good job supporting Javvy through his youth and ear issue. Do you use a regular maintenance product on his ears? I use Epi-Otic about once a week, and, knock on wood, it has done a good job of keeping things under control.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Congratulations on your success with Lily- sounds like she had a great day. Hope Javvy’s ears settle down.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all of you for the nice words. Lily and I will now focus towards finishing her rally masters title. Javelin and I will get his ears settled and go on to finish his BN and continue all of our other work. I put zymox in a cart and will use it along with my regular ear cleaning to get him back in order. I do really think being out on the road and having unusual schedules in the last couple of weeks is how it got ahead of me.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Registered
378 Posts
Congrats,Lils! Hope to see you next month!

I use Easy Ear once a month,and just clean each week w/a pad.There is something called WonderEar from Safari Standards that is supposed to be great.

Mmfst-PROMISE they grow up? I am beginning to wonder,though the WidMan had a couple of moments of brilliance in his last rally class. Biggest problem is watching the females-or HIMSELF in the mirrors!:ahhhhh:

Martha et al

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Martha when I was at Top Dog last month with Javelin he paid no attention to the other, many of them intact, male GR, BC, GSD, GSP and such but boy he sure took exception to that black standard poodle that kept giving him the hard stare (from a mirror). Silly Javvy!

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Sounds like you've had some hectic days. Congrats to Lily and hope Javvy's ears do better with a little more attention - funny how things get ahead of us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts