Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

First of all wanted to say how much I’ve enjoyed using this site and how nice it is to be in the company of fellow poodle enthusiasts. This site as been a wealth of knowledge and I really appreciate it!

My question is in regards to phantom mini poodles. And pardon me if it’s quite silly— but to get say a black and red phantom litter, do both parents have to be phantom black and red or can one parent be Phantom black and red and the other parent a solid red or solid black?

Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,031 Posts
Phantom is a recessive, so yes, there is a 50-50 chance a solid carrier will produce phantom puppies when mated to a phantom.
Edited to add - most solids aren't carriers. The breeder would want to verify via genetic testing if phantom was a goal of the breeding. Red/apricot/cream can also mask phantom.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Many solids, and even partis are kb/kb and can not produce the phantom pattern even if they carry it. If the solid is kb/ky then you'll have a 50% chance of patterns. If you havent color tested the solid you cant know what they carry on "a" locus or calculate what patterns you might get. You could get a litter of solids with either of them. Since red covers everything you could get lucky and he/she is a genetic phantom. If so, you will probably only get half a litter of phantoms because your phantom probably carrys red, so half of the litter will be in the red/apricot/cream spectrum. That sounded so confusing. Lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phantom is a recessive, so yes, there is a 50-50 chance a solid carrier will produce phantom puppies when mated to a phantom.
Edited to add - most solids aren't carriers. The breeder would want to verify via genetic testing if phantom was a goal of the breeding. Red/apricot/cream can also mask phantom.
Thank you this was very helpful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many solids, and even partis are kb/kb and can not produce the phantom pattern even if they carry it. If the solid is kb/ky then you'll have a 50% chance of patterns. If you havent color tested the solid you cant know what they carry on "a" locus or calculate what patterns you might get. You could get a litter of solids with either of them. Since red covers everything you could get lucky and he/she is a genetic phantom. If so, you will probably only get half a litter of phantoms because your phantom probably carrys red, so half of the litter will be in the red/apricot/cream spectrum. That sounded so confusing. Lol.
Thank you for your explanation this was very helpful :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts