Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,499 Posts
I'm not putting my money anywhere with this pup, lol. His splotchy patterning in his first pictures looks quite similar to a brindle Scotty I know. I couldn't tell what pattern the Scotty was, due to his long hair, until his owner explained. However, the color shown in the last picture looks similar to what a very young wild sable German or Belgian shepherd might have.

·
Super Moderator
5,499 Posts
Recessives are interesting, aren't they? The breeder of my solid blue boy once had a brindle show up in a litter--only once. She breeds for brown dogs.

I read somewhere that brindles didn't show up in the records until the 1950s, well before the genetic test options we have today. My private opinion is that somewhere along the line a Dutch Shepherd jumped the fence and the poodle-looking pups that carried genes that could make brindle were bred until recessives met up and were expressed.

Here's the weird and interesting reports on "traits" that appeared in my brindle boy's genetic report (Optimal Selection/Genoscoper, now Wisdom Panel):

Coat type:
Coat LengthI/I: The dog is genetically long-haired.
Furnishings / Improper Coat in Portuguese Water Dogs (marker test)AA/TT: The dog is genetically likely to express furnishings.
KRT71 c.451C>T(p.Arg151Trp)T/T: The dog carries two copies of the tested allele causing curly coat. The dog is likely to have curly hair, if it is long-haired.
MC5R c.237A>TC/T: The dog carries one copy of the allele associated with heavy shedding and one copy of the allele associated low shedding. This genotype has no effect on a dog with furnishings, but non-wire-haired dog with this genotype is likely heavy or seasonal shedder.
Also does not carry the hairlessness alleles of either the American Hairless Terrier or the Scottish Deerhound.
Coat Color: No copies of merle, harlequin, dilution, or albinism.

And finally, morphology:
chr10:11072007 C/T: The dog carries one copy of an allele typically associated with floppy ears, and one copy
of an allele typically associated with pricked ears.

And in spite of these oddball indications, he's a fully registered "PR"-prefixed AKC poodle that is also registered in UKC.
That's a really interesting genetic readout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.