Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who live in snowy and icy environments in the winter, I am curious as to what brand of ice melt that you use? The local store stopped selling what we normally use, and we tried something called "eco friendly," which the guy at the store claimed was pet friendly. We've had to use a lot of it lately, and Jasper is licking his paws, and then vomiting at night (3 nights now). I truly believe it is due to this ice melt. Even if he doesn't walk directly on it, the residue is all over.

Any suggestions on dog brands?

·
Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
I use ordinary rock salt. It's cheap and relatively non-toxic to mammals.

Several towns in my area have experimented with using a beet juice mixture for road deicing. Sugar (as in beet juice) is actually capable of deicing, although it's not something most people think of.

·
Super Moderator
5,109 Posts
Poor Jasper! That's awful :(

I think large quantities of non-toxic salt on paws, regardless of the brand, will make a dog sick. I once ate the bottom scoop of peanut butter out of a jar we obviously hadn't been mixing properly. It was so salty, I immediately vomited. The reflex was SO STRONG.

To prevent salty paws when I lived in Toronto, I bought these: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/pawz-dog-boots

They're easy to get on with some practise and last a long time with moderate use.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions!

I will try the boots and see if he will allow me to put them on him (Miracle probably would). He's very sensitive about me touching his feet. For right now, I am only allowing them in the backyard, instead in the front where there is more ice. This is the first year he has had this type of reaction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts