Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled out an aplication on a well known spoo breeders web site just to lay the groung work and get info for the future. The info I got back suprised me. The breeder charges $1200 for whites and blacks and $1800 for brown. All dogs must be fixed by 5 months which means no showing etc. Why the heck would anyone pay that for a pet? Why are the browns more expencive if they are just going to be pets? She does have striking spoos, but still. She does testing, but so do other spoo breeders who ask half that for a pet. It shocked me.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I charge $1500 and I may bump that to $1800 for the next litter. That is the going rate for a show/performance bred litter on the Front Range. Heck, even the puppy mill in our area charges $1,000+ and more for certain colors like Sable/Parti and wow... White (guess their colors are all so muddles that true "White" is actually rare.)

Why is Brown more expensive? I don't charge more for Brown, but it is a recessive color and harder to find. A well bred Brown? Very hard to find!!!!

BTW... who is the breeder? PM me if you want. I like to keep track of anyone breeding good quality Browns.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I filled out an aplication on a well known spoo breeders web site just to lay the groung work and get info for the future. The info I got back suprised me. The breeder charges $1200 for whites and blacks and $1800 for brown. All dogs must be fixed by 5 months which means no showing etc. Why the heck would anyone pay that for a pet? Why are the browns more expencive if they are just going to be pets? She does have striking spoos, but still. She does testing, but so do other spoo breeders who ask half that for a pet. It shocked me.
If it is a good breeder - with all the must haves, that is not a bad price at all. Just going off price.

·
Registered
918 Posts
$1700-2500 seems to be the going rate here regardless of pedigree. Luckily we do have a number of good breeders around. The application process can sometimes be intensive (before ever getting to see a puppy), and often the breeder picks the puppy for you, which may drive people to the less than meticulous breeders. While most breeders are selling with limited registrations, I haven't really found there to be a price difference between show and non-show pups so far, but typically the latter is done as a co-ownership.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
In Canada it seems $1,200 to $2,500 is the norm for pets. I think when you are getting into the two thousands, that is bizarre, even if you CAN get it. It drives me crazy when people will pay that from a breeder whose dogs are no better (and maybe LESS testing or none at all, etc) than the other guy who is charging $1,300 and tests his breeding dogs. It seems sometimes humans have more money than brains!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I guess I am just used to the byb prices around here. No wonder most people around here have not such high quality spoos. Ive heard people complain about dogs costing over $400 so I bet most would faint shopping for a well built spoo. I sure am uneducated, but that's why I love this forum. If that's the going rate for pets Im sure it's going to be a chunk when I finally get a show girl. I know she'll be worth it, it's only $ after all.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
In Canada it seems $1,200 to $2,500 is the norm for pets. I think when you are getting into the two thousands, that is bizarre, even if you CAN get it. It drives me crazy when people will pay that from a breeder whose dogs are no better (and maybe LESS testing or none at all, etc) than the other guy who is charging $1,300 and tests his breeding dogs. It seems sometimes humans have more money than brains!!
Yep seems thats the outcome anyway. $$$. I tell ya, I have seen a breeder change her looks a bit and her bust size. Life must be good:eek:hwell: That was bad......

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Don't mean to offend anyone-but that is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a dog (I'm sure some of you have spent more for quality show dogs, that is understandable and thats you), especially for pet price, I mean I got bills to pay!The economy is bad! LOL! For people looking for a purebred dog for the sole purpose of companionship, I suggest looking into a rescue group, 25% of dogs nationwide in shelters are purebred.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Don't mean to offend anyone-but that is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a dog (I'm sure some of you have spent more for quality show dogs, that is understandable and thats you), especially for pet price, I mean I got bills to pay!The economy is bad! LOL! For people looking for a purebred dog for the sole purpose of companionship, I suggest looking into a rescue group, 25% of dogs nationwide in shelters are purebred.
It is a lot for the times we are in, agree. And I couldn't agree more there are some great poodle rescues out there if you can pass the qualifications.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It is a lot for the times we are in, agree. And I couldn't agree more there are some great poodle rescues out there if you can pass the qualifications.
Glad you understand my opinion, my poodle "Cash" I did buy and I said I wasn't buying another dog after I started volunteering for my animal shelter and saw the "over population problem" in effect-it is heart breaking to see such wonderful dogs put down. When adult Christmas comes...aka income tax I will be getting Cash neutered.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
It is a lot of money and I get very put off by people who are rude or dismissive of people who balk at paying that price. My grandparents were relatively well off but that was b/c they watched their pennies and didn't buy things they didn't need. (They drove used cars when they could've afforded brand new Caddies for example.) I'm not saying a breeder shouldn't charge that if they are investing a lot of time and money in their program, but they should understand that $1500 isn't peanuts. Everyone should understand that IMO. I'm willing to pay that price for a puppy out of health tested, champion parents. Charging more for a certain color would cause me to take a closer look, but if I were dead set on a brown and everything else was in order, I'd pay the extra $300.

And yes many people have more money than sense. I think part of the reason the whole "designer dog" fad took off, is b/c some people want to brag about their $4000 "Australian Labradoodle."

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think its fair to make such judgments on people when we have no idea what their finance status is or where they might get other money or where they have original money from and how they may spend their money. I see lots of weatlh envy these days and I think its a sad statement when people begrudge others who have money or spend it the way they want to. The US is a great place to live and we all have choiced about what we spend and what we make and how we make it. We should all be happy that people can be sucessful and if they want to spend 5K on a dog more power to them. I just hope that someday I can do the same someday and not be questioned about where my money came from and how I should have spent it if they don't agree with what I want.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Wow that is pretty good money . Relocate or renovate on PUPPY money ? Must not be reinvesting much back into the dogs ..
There are tons of breeders doing it. I agree with Poodlepal though. We don't always know where the people who breed get their money. Sometimes it isn't all from the dogs. BUT, someone who breeds reds had a video on her web site not too long ago giving people a tour of her kitchen which had been recently renovated, stating it was all done with puppy money, and they'd be renovating the rest of their house witrh the next litter!!! Even if that is true, it is not the smartest customer relations.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I don't think its fair to make such judgments on people when we have no idea what their finance status is or where they might get other money or where they have original money from and how they may spend their money. I see lots of weatlh envy these days and I think its a sad statement when people begrudge others who have money or spend it the way they want to. The US is a great place to live and we all have choiced about what we spend and what we make and how we make it. We should all be happy that people can be sucessful and if they want to spend 5K on a dog more power to them. I just hope that someday I can do the same someday and not be questioned about where my money came from and how I should have spent it if they don't agree with what I want.
Right on !!!! Judge not lest you be judged yourself :)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I don't think its fair to make such judgments on people when we have no idea what their finance status is or where they might get other money
This is very True I see many young men in LA with 24" rims and nice flashy cars ( bentleys, range rovers, aston martins ) and see they live in a apt LMAO.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts