Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We will be getting a toy poodle by the end of this year. Any suggestions on a good pet insurance. I don't know if this is needed, but we live in California.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I use Embrace and I know it is considered one of the best. Trapanion and Healthy Paws are also popular. I think it is typically recommended to use insurance if you are unable to self insure up to 10k or so.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
I use Embrace and I know it is considered one of the best. Trapanion and Healthy Paws are also popular. I think it is typically recommended to use insurance if you are unable to self insure up to 10k or so.
Does "self insure" mean being able to cover $10k out of pocket? We'd never really considered pet insurance before, but our friend's puppy just needed $7k in emergency care and he's so glad he had insurance. With the financial uncertainties of covid, it feels even more important. I'm just wondering if we missed the window for affordable coverage.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Does "self insure" mean being able to cover $10k out of pocket? We'd never really considered pet insurance before, but our friend's puppy just needed $7k in emergency care and he's so glad he had insurance. With the financial uncertainties of covid, it feels even more important. I'm just wondering if we missed the window for affordable coverage.
Yep that's what I mean. I don't think you have missed the window. Pre-existing conditions aren't generally covered but some like embrace have a policy where they cover them after 12 months of no symptoms.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Pre-existing conditions aren't generally covered but some like embrace have a policy where they cover them after 12 months of no symptoms.
I just insured my dogs after spending 1500$ in vet bills. Merlin is 6 and Beckie 3 and I pay the same amount for both. After 12 months, I can provide proof of health and they will remove the restrictions they put on both dogs for gastric problems and related conditions.

But Merlin’s patella and heart issues will never be removed. They just won’t.

PTP, I think your window is still wide open ! In my case, I made sure I had the opportunity to cancel and get a complete refund if I had too many restrictions. I had 30 days to do so. You could do the same and decide
Knowing all the facts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is a ballpark range of monthly costs for pet insurance?
From what I seen so far, it seems that there are usually 3 options. It usually depends on what deductible you want and how much of a percentage (70%, 80% or 90%), you want the insurance to pay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts