Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on pet insurance? Is it useless and silly? a good idea? is one company particularly good?
I think someone on here mentioned they have pet insurance through AKC, and that got me looking into it. When Kaitlyn's stomach flipped and she got bloat, that cost me $3000 and with Twiggy, my last whippet, I easily spent a couple thousand dollars on her over the past 2 years, more so in her last couple of months. It would be nice to have some help with those expenses in the future. Hopefully I won't be needing it with my spoo but I'd like to have that safety net. BUT if it's all a scam I just won't worry about it.

so, opinions?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Read the small print carefully.

I have read some that do not cover genetic issues... so the thing your dog most commonly can get won't even be covered!!!

I think they are best for 'accidents' like getting hit by a car, smaller accidents the co-pay is 50% of the bill anyway so it's kind of a wash (lose $ end of year anyway).

Read read read.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've been told many times that a savings account is better, especially if you have multiple animals. A person from another forum I belong too, recently paid quite a bit of money for her persian to have some kind of operation on her sinuses. (I blelieve her girl had polyps.) This lady works in the insurance industry and her pet insurance company was still able to weasle out of paying. According to them the issue with her cat is common in persians and therefore not covered.

·
Registered
546 Posts
A savings account sounds like a good idea! The $25 or so dollars a month that you would put towards insurance will accumulate quickly in a savings acct.
God forbid anything ever happen, but the funds will be there should you need it for your pet. And if your pet never needs it, then you have a good little nest egg saved up!

I've also heard that not all vets accept insurance so yes, definitely familiarize yourself with terms and conditions...

I had also thought about pet insurance... But now a savings account does sound like a great idea! ( thanks Harley Chik) :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
What are your thoughts on pet insurance? Is it useless and silly? a good idea? is one company particularly good?
I think someone on here mentioned they have pet insurance through AKC, and that got me looking into it. When Kaitlyn's stomach flipped and she got bloat, that cost me $3000 and with Twiggy, my last whippet, I easily spent a couple thousand dollars on her over the past 2 years, more so in her last couple of months. It would be nice to have some help with those expenses in the future. Hopefully I won't be needing it with my spoo but I'd like to have that safety net. BUT if it's all a scam I just won't worry about it.

so, opinions?
I've never had pet insurance... but I use to work at a vet clinic that offered it. Many people said it's great if you get it right when you get a puppy, but don't recommend getting it when your pet is older than a year or two. I never came accross anyone who said the insurance company didn't pay (guess it depends on who you use too) but I do think harleychick has a great idea and $25 a month into a saving should cover you (unless you're pet is prone to accidents or are getting really old)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I vote for the savings account, pet insurance doesn't always cover what you may need. I got a free 30 days of it for Saleen somewhere and it doesn't cover hardly anything that I can see myself using. If you think you're going to have to deal with some accident resulting in injury then maybe?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did get it for Star.

I got the wellness rider on it.

It can come very much in handy if you have a puppy who likes to chew up inappropriate stuff (what pup doesn't) and get into things that it shouldn't and other issues that come up.

Star had two UTIs in a row and extra tests to see why (no conclusive reason and she has,,,,,,knock on wood......not had another!)

Star's paid $100 towards her spay since I had the rider for that.

I don't have it for my older dog.

The first year or two....I think its worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts