Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
To me, buying insurance is somewhat like playing the lottery, except that the winners don't collect, because they, or their pets, stay healthy. Insurance is a group effort, with a lot of people participating and a few people collecting. Most of us, I think, would be happy to stay healthy and not have to claim benefits, but it's comforting to know the benefits are there if you need them.

Some of you may remember that my Jazz was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma in early June. So far, her bills have totaled between $5000 and $6000, with more to come. I pay a $350, maybe $375/year premium, with a $350 deductible and 10% copay. Pets Best has paid every claim promptly, with no question about any of it. Believe me when I say, I'd much rather Jazz were healthy and someone else was submitting claims, but believe me, too, when I say I'm really, really glad to have her insured.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was amazed by the number of companies offering pet insurance. When Buck’s premiums exceed his monthly medication bill, I’ll probably drop insurance. So far the meds are winning the price war:(

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
That was very interesting. I also was pretty surprised to see how much competition is in that market. One thing I would have liked to have seen was how people fare who have dedicated vet health emergency funds that they build up themselves in comparison to buying an insurance plan. We have been lucky in not having major problems with any of our dogs and I like having the money that I would have spent on premiums under my control.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For multiple dogs, the premiums could be a significant monthly expense. Until and unless you have a dedicated savings account or enough credit to cover thousands, pet insurance bears looking into. A $3k broken leg, torn ACL surgery for $10K, the cost of Addison’s or seizure medications, or God forbid your dog is hit by a car. I hope every PF poodle sails through a healthy and charmed life. Our breed is healthier than many others, thank goodness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Pets Best and have been very happy with it. Dobby is my first dog with insurance, and I got it as soon as we brought him home.

We have used it a couple times after he ate things he shouldn’t have. I also have care credit, which I could not be without. Their waived interest for a certain number of months depending on how much you spent has been a life saver for years now.

I highly recommend having both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts