Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking Vegas to my work to socialize him, he loves the attention, but he already knows everyone that works there and I want to introduce him to new sounds, smells, ect.

Aside from Petco and Petsmart, what are some other businesses that allow pets in?

Oh.. I just remembered my first job at a plant nursery allowed dogs in, man that'll bring back memories. I had never had that dark of a tan until I worked there. Probably increased my chance for skin cancer by 90% rofl.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Our local coffee place will let you bring in your dog while ordering. Of course you can't stay with them, but it's nice to be able to get a coffee while out on a walk. A lot of places that sell pet supplies welcome dogs. Both of our little local pet stores, Co-op and even Ace will let them in.

Unfortunately Home Depot doesn't anymore :(, at least not here. The very small sign on the door says it's for the protection of their customers. Wonder if something happened or if they're being cautious?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have taken Ry into the local plant nursery many times. I have never tried our local hardware stores as i dont go in them much anyways. I would maybe do a drive by and see if they have any signs on the doors about no pets. Parks and playgrounds are always a Wonderful place to socalize pets to sounds, people, kids, etc! Any parades, outdoor activities, pet events, etc. Riley has been to all! Being that the weather is getting nicer it shouldnt be as hard to find places to take him. I will also go to food places and eat in the outdoor patio with Riley. I just ask first if he is allowed, order to go, get him from the car and go to the patio.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Any kind of hardware store, nursery, or sportsmans wearhouse should allow dogs especially if they are well behaved and quiet.
Mister is welcome most places and i mean all you have to do is ask. The worst they can say is no lol.

Good job on wanting to socialize your pup, its so good for them to get out and meet new people. I know Mister loves to meet and lick new people. Work is a great place for that too.

·
Registered
478 Posts
All of these are great places. We went to Panera Bread this weekend and ate on the patio with 4 dogs. There were tons of people and they loved it.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
We went to Panera Bread this weekend and ate on the patio with 4 dogs
LOL! We did this on our road trip one summer. My friend and i wanted something other then drive thru and it was too hot to leave him in the car. I believe it was in KY that we stopped and ate in the shade outside at Panera. He was so great and just layed down with his water bowl.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tractor Supply will also allow dogs. I take Poppy when we get her food, they are the only ones in my area that carry Taste of the Wild.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I know this won't be particularly helpful to you since your dog is a spoo, but I've taken Teddy to Rite Aid, Home Depot, The Avenue (women's clothing), Starbucks, Lowe's, TD Bank (they even give him dog biscuits) and, of course, all the pet stores. And he even goes with me to my doctor appointments. He just lays on the floor quietly while the doctor meets with me. The last time, he gave my stomach a little poke and Teddy had to come over and see if I was okay. Or maybe he wanted his tummy poked too. :)

I carry him in an Outward Hound Sling-Go. Some people think he's a stuffed animal because all they see is his little fluffy head sticking out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you like to hike/walk, Millcreek Canyon down here in Salt Lake is off leash on odd numbered days and on lead on even number days. You can meet other dogs, lots of people, skiers, bikers, horses. Its great fun for any spoo. You can hike 30 feet to 30+ miles :) In the summer, Dog Lake is a fun hike with a rewarding swim at the top.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Take I-15 South to I-80 East take I-80 east to exit 128 (belt route) take exit 4 to 3900 South turn left on 3900 South and then left on Wasatch Blvd take
1st right on 3800 S/Millcreek Canyon Rd. If you follow the road all the way to the gate you can park there and start walking. Wear shoes/boots that are good for snow and mud. There are poop bags and a poop garbage right by the gate. Have Fun!! (if your dog poops you can bag it right there and set it to the side of the trail and pick it up on your way back so you don't have to carry it on your hike)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Millcreek Canyon is one of our favorite places to go too. We even like to go snowshoeing in the winter there! Of course Liberty doesn't wear snowshoes, but she does wear Musher's Secret. Cosita enjoys it too. The wildflowers are amazing, lots of friendly dogs and people!
Another great place is Tanner Park. It's free, and follows a river down to a little pond at the end, where the dogs love to swim (Cosita loves it, but Liberty doesn't like getting in the water). It's really crowded on even days though, because so many people who can't go up Millcreek go there on those days.
If you're into hiking with them, there are a bunch of gorgeous spots up canyons North of SLC. If you're interested I can post them. I've visited many, but not as often because it's a longer drive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In Canada, Chapters allows dogs in their book store. Apparently the owner is a HUGE dog lover and it's written in their policy/procedures book. Most employees have absolutely NO idea about the rule, but when you tell them about their policy book and they check . . . . .yep, it's in there!

Now, where I live, Chapters is connected to Starbucks - the dogs are not allowed in Starbucks portion of Chapters.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Millcreek Canyon is one of our favorite places to go too. We even like to go snowshoeing in the winter there! Of course Liberty doesn't wear snowshoes, but she does wear Musher's Secret. Cosita enjoys it too. The wildflowers are amazing, lots of friendly dogs and people!
Another great place is Tanner Park. It's free, and follows a river down to a little pond at the end, where the dogs love to swim (Cosita loves it, but Liberty doesn't like getting in the water). It's really crowded on even days though, because so many people who can't go up Millcreek go there on those days.
If you're into hiking with them, there are a bunch of gorgeous spots up canyons North of SLC. If you're interested I can post them. I've visited many, but not as often because it's a longer drive.
Do you mean like Adams Canyon? I took the boxer hiking there last summer, there's a sandy trail before you get to the rocky mountain trails and the sand was really hot and she kept trying to sit on the bushes.. I felt so bad, rofl, but she loved the hike.. even though fatty threw up >_> she's a little out of shape.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yes, I love Adam's Canyon. I too hate the hot sand. We went in the morning, and it wasn't bad at all, but on the way out it was really hot, with lots of cheatgrass...hate that stuff. The waterfall at the end was fun though. Both my girls made it, though they were pretty tired by the time we got out. I like Mueller Canyon even better though. It's in Bountiful, and is a beautiful trail. I haven't walked it all of the way because I wasn't feeling well the day we went, but I'm planning on going again this summer.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
boo- we don't hve chapters- but have INdigo... which i think is the same company- wonder if it's the same rule... hmmmmmmmmm

That said- mine come to work- seriously one of the reasons im still sticking with my business (love it- could sell make some good cash- and make more working for someone else). the dogs come with and get so much socialization there

1 - 20 of 22 Posts