Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a list of things for a pet first aid kit, since mine needs to be updated and i wanted to put a smaller one together for the car/travel - i read through the first aid sticky and did some googling, but wanted to post here and get opinions on things and see if anyone else could add to it.

Also: i can't find the website i used to use for pet medications and dosages, does anyone have a master list of pet safe human medications and the dosages? I want to print and laminate information for the stuff i keep on hand in case my parents (who look after the dog/s for me on occasion) need it. I'm also going to laminate dog info, vet info, emergency numbers, etc.

Is there such a thing as a mini flip book for basic first aid?

Anyway, here's what i came up with so far for the Main Kit:

Dog Info (Name, Breed, Weight, DOB, any underlying medical issues)
Vaccine Records, Vet Name and #, Emergency Vet #, Poison Control #
Peroxide
Antibiotic Ointment, Neosporin
Gauze Rolls, Pads, and Non-Stick Pads
Blunt Scissors
Medical Tape
Disposable Gloves
Emergency Blanket
Wipes
Collapsible Bowls
Slip Leash
Poo Bags
QTips and Cotton Balls
Quick Stop
Tweezers and Hemostat
Cold Pack
Flashlight
Magnifying Glass
Vaseline
Thermometer
Betadine
Benadryl
Eye and Ear Rinses
Muzzle
Tick Remover and Flea Comb
Syringes (Large and Small)
Saline
Splint
Bandages and Vet Wrap
Small Battery Clipper
Gas X
Pepto, Kaopectate, Immodium (??)

Car Kit:
Dog and Vet Info
Collapsible bowls
Flashlight
Magnifying Glass
Tweezers
Muzzle
Slip Leash
Emergency Blanket
Gauze Rolls, Pads, and Non-Stick Bandages
Vet Wrap
Saline
Syringes
Eye/Ear Rinse
Benadryl

I figure the car kit doesn't need to be as stocked. If anyone wants to add to either list, or tell me if i don't need something, input if very much welcome!

I have a tackle box that i got for $10 from Walmart that i'm putting the main stuff in, and a smaller pouch for the car kit. Both will be labelled appropriately.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
l
I'm putting together a list of things for a pet first aid kit, since mine needs to be updated and i wanted to put a smaller one together for the car/travel - i read through the first aid sticky and did some googling, but wanted to post here and get opinions on things and see if anyone else could add to it.

Also: i can't find the website i used to use for pet medications and dosages, does anyone have a master list of pet safe human medications and the dosages? I want to print and laminate information for the stuff i keep on hand in case my parents (who look after the dog/s for me on occasion) need it. I'm also going to laminate dog info, vet info, emergency numbers, etc.

Is there such a thing as a mini flip book for basic first aid?

Anyway, here's what i came up with so far for the Main Kit:

Dog Info (Name, Breed, Weight, DOB, any underlying medical issues)
Vaccine Records, Vet Name and #, Emergency Vet #, Poison Control #
Peroxide
Antibiotic Ointment, Neosporin
Gauze Rolls, Pads, and Non-Stick Pads
Blunt Scissors
Medical Tape
Disposable Gloves
Emergency Blanket
Wipes
Collapsible Bowls
Slip Leash
Poo Bags
QTips and Cotton Balls
Quick Stop
Tweezers and Hemostat
Cold Pack
Flashlight
Magnifying Glass
Vaseline
Thermometer
Betadine
Benadryl
Eye and Ear Rinses
Muzzle
Tick Remover and Flea Comb
Syringes (Large and Small)
Saline
Splint
Bandages and Vet Wrap
Small Battery Clipper
Gas X
Pepto, Kaopectate, Immodium (??)

Car Kit:
Dog and Vet Info
Collapsible bowls
Flashlight
Magnifying Glass
Tweezers
Muzzle
Slip Leash
Emergency Blanket
Gauze Rolls, Pads, and Non-Stick Bandages
Vet Wrap
Saline
Syringes
Eye/Ear Rinse
Benadryl

I figure the car kit doesn't need to be as stocked. If anyone wants to add to either list, or tell me if i don't need something, input if very much welcome!

I have a tackle box that i got for $10 from Walmart that i'm putting the main stuff in, and a smaller pouc h for the car kit. Both will be labelled appropriately.
This is fantastic! I plan to get out hiking with Felix this year, so this is a helpful list to start with. For that reason, I agree That I’d want a soft pouch (makeup bag?) for my daypack, and I have a bias to topical chlorhexidine over betadine as a wound cleanser. I’m going to think on this some more, thanks for starting this thread!

·
Super Moderator
5,499 Posts
One of my most used first aid items is a Ticked Off tick remover tool. It looks like a measuring spoon with a notch in it. They come in several colors; I try to get the pink and orange ones, as they are easier to find when I drop them. It's easier to use than any other tick remover I've tried. You don't even need to be able to see the tick all that clearly; just part the hair in the vicinity of the tick and place the notch against the skin. Slide the notch in the general direction of the tick and then pull up when you feel it catch. The tick comes right up, usually intact, which is better than I can normally do when applying tweezers to a struggling dog under poor lighting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.