Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi poodle lovers! First of all, thanks for being a wonderful resource. I've been lurking here since December last year and finally made an account today. My new spoo pup will come home in early April!! (WOO!)

I was wondering if anyone used a pet carrier backpack to bring their puppy to public places for socialization without being exposed to parvo. Is it worth it or will the backpack be quickly outgrown? Thanks! :D

To anyone interested, I will definitely make a 52 weeks thread! He's a black spoo boy and I'm still deciding on what to name him! I like Howdy, Jinx, and Zaggy. (I have goofy name sense haha!) Suggestions are very welcome!

·
Super Moderator
9,049 Posts
Welcome! And congrats on your upcoming pup!

We didn’t use a backpack. I imagine it could make positive socialization a little tricky not being able to make eye contact with your puppy, let him search your face and body language for reassurance, or offer him yummy treats and praise. And yes, he will absolutely outgrow it quickly. We had just a few “cuddly puppy” weeks before our girl started looking more like a lanky little teenager.

I believe parvo immunization is complete at 12 weeks, which is a perfectly appropriate time to start visiting areas frequented by other dogs. From Ian Dunbar:

There is no need to expose a young puppy to any risk of parvovirus infection when socializing puppies with people. Prior to three months of age, puppies may be safely socialized in the breeding kennel, or in their new homes, provided that outdoor shoes remain outside. Rather than taking puppies to the people, bring the people to the puppies. Have puppy parties four nights a week, wherein all guests, especially children, men and strangers, gently handle and train the puppy. (When you have a young puppy, your social life will improve as well.)

We must triage the various aspects of socialization — socialization with people, socialization with dogs, and exposure to different physical aspects of the environment. Socializing puppies with people is extremely urgent, beyond important and completely safe, whereas socializing puppies with other puppies/dogs is less urgent, less important and may carry a minimally greater risk of parvovirus infection. Nonetheless, there is simply no scientific evidence that puppy classes cause an increased incidence of parvovirus. The real risk of parvovirus infection comes from puppies, with little or no immunity, sniffing the ground in contaminated areas, such as low-income (low-vaccination) public spaces and of course, veterinary clinic car parks. Even so, parvovirus infection is seldom fatal with appropriate treatment.”

Of course, covid means home visits will likely have to be outside, but that’s fine. Have friends and family over to your yard. Or sit out front in a lawn chair and watch the world go by.

As for names, I think our pups name themselves if we let them. It’s fun to make a list, but then just spend those first few days (or even weeks, in our case!) getting to know your puppy until the right name pops into your head.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome!

I dont think you'll need one. Just hand carry him/her like a football on your arms when your out and about. Plus, you will feel really bonded to your furbaby when you hold them close to you, hearts touching.

Then 4 weeks will go by, and you have to start learning leash manners, and then they turn into a landshark, and pee everywhere, but then they snuggle with you and it's worth it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! And congrats on your upcoming pup!

We didn’t use a backpack. I imagine it could make positive socialization a little tricky not being able to make eye contact with your puppy, let him search your face and body language for reassurance, or offer him yummy treats and praise. And yes, he will absolutely outgrow it quickly. We had just a few “cuddly puppy” weeks before our girl started looking more like a lanky little teenager.

I believe parvo immunization is complete at 12 weeks, which is a perfectly appropriate time to start visiting areas frequented by other dogs. From Ian Dunbar:

There is no need to expose a young puppy to any risk of parvovirus infection when socializing puppies with people. Prior to three months of age, puppies may be safely socialized in the breeding kennel, or in their new homes, provided that outdoor shoes remain outside. Rather than taking puppies to the people, bring the people to the puppies. Have puppy parties four nights a week, wherein all guests, especially children, men and strangers, gently handle and train the puppy. (When you have a young puppy, your social life will improve as well.)

We must triage the various aspects of socialization — socialization with people, socialization with dogs, and exposure to different physical aspects of the environment. Socializing puppies with people is extremely urgent, beyond important and completely safe, whereas socializing puppies with other puppies/dogs is less urgent, less important and may carry a minimally greater risk of parvovirus infection. Nonetheless, there is simply no scientific evidence that puppy classes cause an increased incidence of parvovirus. The real risk of parvovirus infection comes from puppies, with little or no immunity, sniffing the ground in contaminated areas, such as low-income (low-vaccination) public spaces and of course, veterinary clinic car parks. Even so, parvovirus infection is seldom fatal with appropriate treatment.”

Of course, covid means home visits will likely have to be outside, but that’s fine. Have friends and family over to your yard. Or sit out front in a lawn chair and watch the world go by.

As for names, I think our pups name themselves if we let them. It’s fun to make a list, but then just spend those first few days (or even weeks, in our case!) getting to know your puppy until the right name pops into your head.
Thank you so much PeggyTheParti! By the way, I see so many of your helpful comments across all the other threads and I want to thank you for that!

Welcome!

I dont think you'll need one. Just hand carry him/her like a football on your arms when your out and about. Plus, you will feel really bonded to your furbaby when you hold them close to you, hearts touching.

Then 4 weeks will go by, and you have to start learning leash manners, and then they turn into a landshark, and pee everywhere, but then they snuggle with you and it's worth it.
Aw, I can't wait! Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Welcome - how exciting for you, waiting for puppy. Soon come!

Reactions: jebby

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and soon to be NewSpoo!

Reactions: jebby

·
Super Moderator
9,049 Posts
Thank you so much PeggyTheParti! By the way, I see so many of your helpful comments across all the other threads and I want to thank you for that!
What a nice thing to say! Thank you! Can’t wait to follow along on your journey with Howdy/Jinx/Zaggy/??? :)

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
My only concern with walking the dog is Parvo. The vaccinations for parvo, at least in my State are recommended for all puppies and are usually given in a series of three shots . Between 6-to-8 weeks old, again at 10-to-12 weeks, and at 14-to-16 weeks. A booster shot is administered one year later and every 3 years after that.
I wouldn't waste my money on a backpack, they grow way to quickly and you can be surprised at the size of a 9 week old Standard.
When our boy had his 2nd round of shots we began walking in the neighborhood and in areas not frequently visited by other dogs. We basically stayed on the street surface. We went to stores and brought along a towel or blanket and laid it in a shopping cart. And just walked round and allowed anyone who wished to pet him. He was so mouthy and barky at that age though . I had trouble socializing him well, then I had a injury and that caused more of a set back. I would do some things differently, just get that expose. Puppy classes only for puppy play are good too. Perhaps they will resume by the time you get your poodle. This picture was my boy at 9 weeks old,

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts