Poodle Forum banner

What type of dog bed does your poodle love?

• Bolester (bed with raised sides)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Donut

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Pillow style (no sides)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I just worry about what's in these foams, especially when they explicitly state "NOT FOR HUMAN USE"...
Good point! Manufacturing efficiencies alone aren't driving the reduction in price.

I think it's a brilliant idea to cut up an old mattress to use as dog beds. I have friends who do that with egg crate foam. You could even buy a fancy covering from Orvis or LL Bean and no one would be the wiser.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It’s just as bad as picking dog food now IMO. It feels like the moment you think you’ve picked a good one, you find something bad about it. 😂

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good point! Manufacturing efficiencies alone aren't driving the reduction in price.

I think it's a brilliant idea to cut up an old mattress to use as dog beds. I have friends who do that with egg crate foam. You could even buy a fancy covering from Orvis or LL Bean and no one would be the wiser.
If I had a large dog I always said I’d buy a toddler mattress and then one of the toddler frames for them. That way you know the mattress is safe and already waterproofed.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
We actually have an extra Tuft & Needle mattress here, which we have no use for. Was wondering if it might be worth it to cut it up into dog beds. I could give a few away to friends and neighbours, and keep a couple for different rooms in our house.
After you brought this up, Peggy, I made a little project for myself. I found a gently used memory foam mattress pad for sale, picked it up this morning, and cut it up into smaller mats for Mia. Two of them were stuffed into an old dog bed cover (still need to replace the zipper), and the third was placed in her crate. under the crate pad. I knew I had a winner when Mia laid down on the mattress pad after I laid it out to measure. Now she's snoring gently on her "new" old bed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok new question. So I need a pillow for the inside. What do you think would be better the poly fill, down alternative, shredded memory foam or the block memory foam?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used a cheap $4 bolster crate pad for Lacey when she was a younger puppy, but only at night. If I left it during the day she’d pull on the fleecy texture and create strings that I was worried would break off and be swallowed. I constantly was trimming them off. Once she was old enough where I trusted her not to need the divider in her crate I got a primo pad— something she couldn’t pick at and destroy but provided some padding instead of a hard crate floor.
Otherwise I don’t use dog beds since most of my home is carpeted. only recently at 10 months am I starting to trust that MAYBE she wouldn’t pick the seams apart, but Id still avoid the fleece texture types for her. She has a weird thing for picking and ripping off thread from seams, fake fur textures and individual strings of rope toys with her teeth. If I had the space I’d love to get her that fat boy bed that Mimi the Black Poodle shared. Lacey would love that.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Ok new question. So I need a pillow for the inside. What do you think would be better the poly fill, down alternative, shredded memory foam or the block memory foam?
My dog would prefer the poly-fil or perhaps the down alternative, depending on whether it's over-stuffed (she seems to prefer less stuffing, at least to a point). At 10 years old, she loves memory foam beds but avoids memory foam pillows.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I used a cheap $4 bolster crate pad for Lacey when she was a younger puppy, but only at night. If I left it during the day she’d pull on the fleecy texture and create strings that I was worried would break off and be swallowed. I constantly was trimming them off. Once she was old enough where I trusted her not to need the divider in her crate I got a primo pad— something she couldn’t pick at and destroy but provided some padding instead of a hard crate floor.
Otherwise I don’t use dog beds since most of my home is carpeted. only recently at 10 months am I starting to trust that MAYBE she wouldn’t pick the seams apart, but Id still avoid the fleece texture types for her. She has a weird thing for picking and ripping off thread from seams, fake fur textures and individual strings of rope toys with her teeth. If I had the space I’d love to get her that fat boy bed that Mimi the Black Poodle shared. Lacey would love that.
We just got new kitchen dining floor....whoops. lol But I’m making hers. It won’t be spectacular but cute. That way if she chews or ruins it it was cheap and kept me occupied while waiting on her. I always do little puppy themes, I know it’s silly but it’s fun. Hers is Tiffany & co bc when I was talking hubs into her, he looked at me and said can’t I just get you a Tiffany & co something instead. 😂 It’s the only jewelry I’ll wear so he knew he was screwed when I said nope! 😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
352 Posts
That’s too funny. That’s a good idea to make one inexpensively in the event of pee/poo/throw up/destruction. I’m not that skilled to make my own. I’ll probably try getting a donut style since she prefers to curl up in a small space in between two large pieces of furniture.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
That’s too funny. That’s a good idea to make one inexpensively in the event of pee/poo/throw up/destruction. I’m not that skilled to make my own. I’ll probably try getting a donut style since she prefers to curl up in a small space in between two large pieces of furniture.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
My dog has many beds around the house that I had bought for the cats and for her.......her favorite place to be is on top of the highest softest spot on the couch. She will push throws and decorative pillow to build herself a mountain to snooze on.
Now that just proves how related Babykins and Zoe are! Zoe roosts on top of the sofa back most of the day. I think it's mostly because she can see out of the front window better from that perch.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts