Poodle Forum banner

What type of dog bed does your poodle love?

• Bolester (bed with raised sides)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Donut

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Pillow style (no sides)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious which beds your poodles love? I’m looking at one that’s a pillow style for our new puppy coming but it’s quite expensive. Our yorkipoo loves her bolster bed. So I’m just curious if anyone’s had luck with the pillow style?
our dogs usually sleep in bed with us but as a pup she’ll have a puppy pen as the bed is quite high.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I use Maxx crate beds that I buy off amazon. They last very well and are super easy to machine wash which is important with a puppy. They are also sized to fit in crates. And have moderately raised sides that are a good middle ground.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don’t use crates, she will have a puppy pen. It’s about 3ft x 3ft, but it’ll be pretty rare she’s in it with the door not open.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bed for a new puppy. Better to have a towel or polar fleece throw for a soft spot for the puppy - something easy to wash in case of a potty accident. Puppies often chew on dog beds or any fabric in their crate/playpen. Keep an eye on your puppy, you might have to remove everything from the crate/playpen.

Not all dogs like beds, so don't spend a lot of money on a fancy one until your puppy is older and you know what style is preferred.

My dog has many beds around the house that I had bought for the cats and for her.......her favorite place to be is on top of the highest softest spot on the couch. She will push throws and decorative pillow to build herself a mountain to snooze on.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I can't imagine a dog not wanting something to prop their head or elbow on sometimes.

My last girl loved her donut. Peggy's got a rectangular bolster bed now, but she just had blankets and towels for her first few months, and even then we had to be careful. She was pretty much potty trained from day 1 unless there was something soft on the floor. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
I agree with those who say not to spend a lot of money early on.

Most of my dogs have preferred lying in arm chairs or on the sofa. My Benji mutt (14 inches at shoulder) favored a square cardboard box with a piece of carpet in the bottom. He wasn't proud, lol.

I went through several beds/cushions when Snarky and Pogo were young. They kept destroying their beds by peeing, puking, or chewing. They got their first permanent beds at around age 3. Each got an oval fleece bed with padded sides.

Remembering the destructive phase I started Galen out with an old dormitory floor cushion in his crate and and old pillow off my bed for lounging around. I figured both would be doomed. Sure enough he peed on my old bed pillow. He also rejected the crate cushion when he got to be a little over 3 months. He kept clawing at it and squeezing himself into the gap until I removed it. Too hot I guess. Now he has a folded dog blanket in his crate. He pushed it mostly into a corner and used it as a pillow for his head.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Normie went through a destructive stage with his greatly loved round doughnut bed where he would attack and try to kill it. Not thinking ahead at all!

We had to replace it with an Orvis bolster bed too large and heavy for him to move. We keep it between our favorite chairs and he sleeps there until bedtime (unless he's sitting with one of us).

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
My girls loved these, and now my boys do too, from the day they came home to us as tiny babies. They have survived several years now, even thru inappropriate puppy chewing and are very washable. This brand is very inexpensive at Chewy, and this type found at almost every pet store. We used something a bit more pillowy for sleeping in their condos but have several of these around the house, under the coffee table, on sofas, in the car when going for a ride.

on the bed when they got older for a bit of protection for the bedspread

It was also a toy lol..... If the box says Sensitive Content, it's really not.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
My girls loved these, and now my boys do too, from the day they came home to us as tiny babies. They have survived several years now, even thru inappropriate puppy chewing and are very washable. This brand is very inexpensive at Chewy, and this type found at almost every pet store. We used something a bit more pillowy for sleeping in their condos but have several of these around the house, under the coffee table, on sofas, in the car when going for a ride.

View attachment 466834

View attachment 466836

View attachment 466835
Lol how a dog wrapped up like it's wearing a taco shell is sensitive content.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peggy

View attachment 466834

View attachment 466836

View attachment 466835
Hahaha. I actually like the idea of that style. It looks shorter than the bolester beds. She’ll be tiny when she comes home so she may have an easier time climbing in that. Dad was 4lb and mom was 6-7 lbs. We’re home all day so it’ll only be needed in the puppy area. I have 3 small children so we teach them early that this is puppy area and they don’t touch it.They’re amazingly good with puppies bc we’ve always had tiny puppy’s. Gia was a tiny toy so I made sure my kids knew from the get go that we don’t pick up, pull, or play rough. Huntleigh’s the only one who hasn’t gone through the puppy stage bc we got g2 right after she was born but she’s always done very good. We tested it a few weeks ago and had my sister in law bring over her mini Aussie puppy, just to get an idea of how she’d be. She petted softly and didn’t try to pick up. They did follow her around a bit so I wanted a puppy pen, That way she has an area where can unwind from the kiddos, but still not feel alone.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'd bought my first of these at petsmart and when I wanted to get more for other areas I'd discovered chewy. I found this brand for less and when they arrived I found that they are a bit more substantial and a bit cushier.
The smallest is 18"x12" exterior dimensions

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I totally went off board and decided to make her puppy bed! I found what I needed and it'll be from a crewneck sweatshirt. I ordered the sweatshirt today, that way I can wear it for a bit first! best part is it'll be the theme I wanted without spending a small fortune on the bed I loved. i'll be excited to see how this turns out, I haven't crafted for awhile!!!! any suggestions on fillings? the center will be a type of pillow with a protective waterproof cover and the sides will need something loose.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ours like the hammock style beds (a piece of fleece stretched over a rigid frame on legs) and the big Costco dog beds. Both have a washable cover

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
My cats and spoo both are not a fan of beds. I’ve got a few hanging around the house but they’re never used. The cats sleep on the couch, on their scratching posts, on a blanket on the floor, chairs or on someone’s bed/hutch but never in their beds. My spoo has 3 or 4 blankets on the floor that she can lay on but quite often she lays on the floor and uses them as pillows or she sleeps on the couch with her head on the armrest - sometime there will be a dog and then 2 cats will come up and flop themselves beside her when she’s sleeping. She’s lately figured out to get up on the rocking recliner and loves that as well. LOL

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Peggy got a new, larger crate, so we needed a new mat for it. She LOVES it:

We got a great deal (45% off!) but it's well worth it at full price. Firm, but with really nice give. And while she took a while to warm up to her last bed, this one she claimed immediately after it came out of the box. She couldn't believe it when I took it away to wash the cover.

I like flat mat-style beds for crates because they maximize real estate. I just leave a blanket or two in there for her to push into pillow shapes.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm amazed at how inexpensive the orthopedic beds have become. I swear those things used to cost a month's rent, and now they're the price of dinner.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I'm amazed at how inexpensive the orthopedic beds have become. I swear those things used to cost a month's rent, and now they're the price of dinner.
I just worry about what's in these foams, especially when they explicitly state "NOT FOR HUMAN USE"...

We actually have an extra Tuft & Needle mattress here, which we have no use for. Was wondering if it might be worth it to cut it up into dog beds. I could give a few away to friends and neighbours, and keep a couple for different rooms in our house.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts