Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
14,844 Posts
It's possible that daycare has given Bobby marathon-level play stamina.

We used to interrupt Peggy and her friends every few minutes, just for 30 seconds or so, so they could regroup. If we didn't do that, their manners would quickly fall apart.

Now they self-regulate, naturally stopping and starting, with longer and longer breaks until eventually they're just chewing sticks next to each other. But then inevitably one will get a second wind and all hell breaks loose.

When they're tired they are quick to get rough and slow to back off. So the humans have to call it a day. This is typically at the 1-hour mark. When they were younger it was 30 minutes.

Since Bobby probably always has at least one willing (or maybe even not-so-willing) playmate at daycare, I'm not surprised he's not getting the message from Bang.

I'd do as suggested here and start teaching him what's expected of him: Play independently or settle. I know this will split your focus from your family, but think of it as an investment.

·
Administrator
14,844 Posts
He really sounds like such a lovely boy.

I don't think it's ever really normal when dogs are visited by other dogs on their turf. It always seems to trigger overexcitement or resource guarding or (in the case of my last girl) marking.

She was still quite young, but Peggy was OBSESSED with my parents' dogs when they visited over Christmas, and it was actually quite stressful as they're very small and fragile.

In the grand scheme of things, I think it sounds like Bobby and Bang are getting along nicely, and maybe Bobby will eventually tune into Bang's cues. Perhaps try giving him one clearly communicated chance to leave Bang alone when asked, and then separate him from the action for a few minutes if he persists. As long as he understands his options and your expectations, he'll probably catch on quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.