Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Poodle Forum! There, that's my lovey dovey stuff. :)

I was thinking it would be great to have a section devoted to training issues, whether just household related or performance (agility, hunting, etc). There's a lot of threads dedicated to behavioural issues (housebreaking, barking etc) as well as questions about getting into the performance area. I just thought it would be a great resource for members and visitors to have all those threads gathered in one area!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't think this is a bad idea, though the more sections there are the more some posts might be missed as some people only read one or two sections.
A suggestion on this one though, if it were to be set up that way could there be a place to post the household/general training threads and a seperate little subsection for threads concerning performance. It might make it easier to find a previous post concerning a question you are looking for an answer to rather than ask the same questions over and over?

·
Registered
135 Posts

I was thinking it would be great to have a section devoted to training issues, whether just household related or performance (agility, hunting, etc). There's a lot of threads dedicated to behavioural issues (housebreaking, barking etc) as well as questions about getting into the performance area. I just thought it would be a great resource for members and visitors to have all those threads gathered in one area!
I think this is a great idea. I am apart of another forum who has a training section. It makes it easy to find the answers to your training questions without digging through general discussions

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Ok... this is a great idea.

So should I do one training area or split it into two sub categories like Wonderpup suggested (i.e. household/general AND performance)?

And someone please write a short description of this/these new forum(s) please. I can do it but it'll be very generic. :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

LOL... NOW, don't go getting all mushy on us! :rofl:

I totally agree with this.. this would be an EXCELLENT addition. So many people want to talk about specific issues dealing with training, or sharing their wins/steps forward with everyone, I would love a section like this. This would allow specific issues to be discussed and not lost in the general poodle chat thread. Could have a separate section that contains threads for showing, fun stuff, behavioral issues, and a brag one, just a thought. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok... this is a great idea.

So should I do one training area or split it into two sub categories like Wonderpup suggested (i.e. household/general AND performance)?

And someone please write a short description of this/these new forum(s) please. I can do it but it'll be very generic. :)
Maybe a training/ behavioural questions area and a subforum performance area, like Wonder suggested?

Something like (someone might be able to improve these more :)):

Thread Title: Training/ Behaviour: Discuss training methods and ask your questions about training and behavioural problems here.

Sub Forum: Performance (Agility, Obedience, Hunting etc): A place to talk and brag about performance training/ titles.

I guess the only thing I left out is Conformation... I'm not sure if that would go in this area or not?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I think you could add conformation to this subforum. Just add it the already proposed title and discription. There is alot of training that goes into a conformation dog, maybe it's not as complex in most cases but there is still alot of it. Conformation dogs could post videos and pictures of their training sessions to get feedback just as Obedience or Agility dogs could or discuss problems with gating or stacking.

Call me selfish :( yeah I'll admit to it, (sorry) but I get a lot of joy out of talking about training for various events and would like to be able to find those posts without weeding through all the general training post about barking, housetraining, and the like. A newer poodle owner would probably also find it helpful to not have to weed through advanced training topics to get to a thread that might be helpful to them with their new puppy and crate training. Don't get me wrong I do read those general training type post but make it a point to stay out of any resulting discussion except on very rare occasions. A lot of members already know this about me and my reasons for it.

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Okay, I added these new forms except for conformation. How did I do? Changes? Edits? Delete it?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I would still love to see one strictly on conformation. It would be very helpful to my sister and I as we really would like to continue to be educated in that area. Thank you for the changes!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Conformation Showing

I would still love to see one strictly on conformation. It would be very helpful to my sister and I as we really would like to continue to be educated in that area. Thank you for the changes!
I too would love to see a thread dedicated to conformation showing. The decline in participation in all shows is declining. There are many reasons but a place to share helpful information can help the newbies get out there. Such as getting the word out that AKC now has an Amateur/Owner/Handler class so you can come out and participate and not have to compete with professional handlers right out the show gate so to speak. Or that UKC judges are starting to over-look the rules about product in the show coat, like hairspray, and that we need to enforce rules otherwise it'll end up just like other venues.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Id like to see a conformation section too, its hard to weed through all the other posts- for example, when I first joined I wanted to see pictures of the puppy clip, and maybe even a how to but if you search for "puppy clip" you get pat puppy clips, teddy bear clips, and other people looking for puppy clips.

I would also maybe like to see a how-to file section (how-to clip nails, how-to teach a good recall, recipes and other good stuff)
but thats a different thread

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Id like to see a conformation section too, its hard to weed through all the other posts- for example, when I first joined I wanted to see pictures of the puppy clip, and maybe even a how to but if you search for "puppy clip" you get pat puppy clips, teddy bear clips, and other people looking for puppy clips.

QUOTE]

I agree being on the other side as I weed through some of these topics. Although I think pictures should be pictures. Based on topics you may still download a picture to show different trims......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts