Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really some people as much as they want a new puppy added to their family really should not... at leah until they have the time to devote.
Recently I met a new neighbor who has 5 kids and just got a puppy, which will be a big dog. She was telling me how she can't housebreak it and it poos in its crate every night. She has it outside now. Saw it it can't be 16 weeks yet. I offered to help her. But what she wants is someone to take it housebreak it and then give it back. If I didn't have a house full of dogs I'd do it, but it would be too disruptful for my dogs. I told her I 'd give her hints and info if interested. She also had a huge pinch collar on it while it dragged one of her children down the road and when it reached me the mom says yank it to make it stop pulling. I told her thats not necessary and that she had the collar on wrong and if she corrected that the dog would stop as the collar tightened and the y should be no yanking.
Why or why, she said she is just so tired and will try later to train. Meanwhile the poor baby is outside. Another one rants she knows all about dogs and pet sits, now she does care well for the dogs and walks them and will play with them, but to her the dogs are dogs and should either be outside during the day or crated in a room and not ever allowed to roam free in her house.
Well thats my morning rant and I will return to my crate.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
I agree with your rant and the frustration that drives it. This is exactly the formula for any or all of the following: dog sent to shelter because it destroys house or is never house broken; dog bites a person badly and person suffers for the rest of their life with scars and fear, dog is destroyed; dog ends up on a chain in the backyard for the duration of a miserable life.

I remember when I was five and my brother was just two being thrilled when my parents gave me a beagle puppy for my birthday. Needless to say even I was too young to be very responsible for her so there were all kinds of outings in the rain and snow of my mom, me and brother trudging through the yucky weather with all of us thinking it wasn't so much fun. She had a great long life with us, but there were only two kids and my mom didn't work outside our home until we were much older. I understand wanting the family dog experience, but your neighbor's situation sounds like a recipe for misery all around.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I am battling a niece right now on how she is caring for her dog! This niece is one that seems to go thru dogs like people buy cars.....keep it til it bores you or breaks down. Her dogs seem to end up in various relatives homes.......... This time she has taken on a French Bulldog (I have a thread here that I shared of her and Molly) and while she was here for a visit I noticed her ear looked a little inflamed and her front legs had some old healing hive-like bumps. I told her what to try and if it got worse she would need to go to the Vet..........I just saw her again and her ears are bad and her skin folds on her face need attention too! I have talked myself blue in the face, but it just doesn't seem to help because this young lady thinks she knows everything! My sister is her grandmother, so I told her to get on her ass about it.........maybe with both of us harping at her she will do something for poor Nova!
She is 'one of those people'..........end of my rant too!!!!

Reactions: Skylar
1 - 3 of 3 Posts