Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes find objects or food that people throw in my yard (Even though it’s completely fenced and inaccessible). Today, I saw Beckie munching on something that looked like a stick. I went to look and it was some kind of chocolate covered hard candy. I took it away immediately but couldn’t stop worrying that she would be sick.

Later tonight she was breathing very rapidly (it’s 81 degrees in the house) even though she had the fan directly pushing air on her. I kept thinking it might be the consequence of what she ate. Merlin was breathing just fine, right beside her, which made me even more worried. I took her temperature and it’s normal, and she’s acting like her usual, sweet self.

It’s probably just the heat, but still. Why are people such complete idiots ? What if I had a toddler who ate it and choked on it ? What if next time I don’t catch her and she becomes ill from the chocolate ? Or Merlin ? Arrrgh

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Ugh. I hope she feels better as the evening temperature cools down. Yeah, people can be gross and inconsiderate. I used to rent a house that backed up to a bank drive-thru. People would toss soda bottles filled with urine over my fence from the drive thru lane. Seriously, why? The bank had a bathroom and a trash can.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh. I hope she feels better as the evening temperature cools down. Yeah, people can be gross and inconsiderate. I used to rent a house that backed up to a bank drive-thru. People would toss soda bottles filled with urine over my fence from the drive thru lane. Seriously, why? The bank had a bathroom and a trash can.
Wow, that is seriously disgusting ! :-(

·
Registered
473 Posts
Urgh, I cannot empathize with you enough! We live across from a park and the stuff we get is unreal. Take out meals thrown in the street, garbage etc. There was vomit on our sidewalk a few weeks before we got Tikki! I’ve honestly been thinking about buying a dog bag dispenser so people pick up their dog’s crap. Even still, I think they’d probably still just leave it. People are really so disrespectful these days!

·
Super Moderator
4,319 Posts
I'm sorry, Dechi! That's terrible. Really hoping Beckie is doing a little better now.

People can be extra awful when they think no one is watching. The condition of most public restrooms is a perfect example.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I hope Beckie's feeling better by now.
I wonder if an inexpensive real or fake, very noticeable, security camera might put them off, if it could be mounted where it could be seen by the perps?

Fake

Real

Outdoor Bracket

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Yes I'm sorry that happened. Here we just have those that do not pick up after their dogs and leave the poo right by your mailbox. We have a FB page for the neighborhood to rant, lol (thats what they do) and now that many onus have cameras they will say you know who you are and now we do too, and if it happens again we will post your photo to FB so everyone will know what a inconsiderate person you are.
Todays society is a "ME" society. People have lost respect for others , if you don't like what they like , its their way or no way, no room for objectivity.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That's scary, Dechi. I'm glad you saw it and were able to take it away before harm was done.

Just to pile on ... around here people throw fried chicken bones out their window as they drive. 🤬😱😵

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
For over 30 years I have been disgusted by walking out to the faculty parking lot I normally use (but where students often parked for evening classes until there was a security gate install just about 2 years ago. The disgust was finding fast food bags with the remains of the meal in them sitting exactly where people would have opened their driver doors to place them on the ground. These folks have to walk past trash cans to get to class. Seriously? I became even more disgusted when it didn't totally stop once students couldn't get into the lot to park. Hey colleagues WTF!

People throwing stuff into our yard has been very rare, mostly chicken bones, but I was really horrified when I recently found a used condom on the grass at the end of my property that faces a very tiny little street that connects my neighborhood and the one behind us. It was outside the fence, so not a risk for our animals, but yuck.

Dechi I hope Beckie is fine this morning. As an FYI hyperactivity is the sign Lily shows when she has gotten a bite of chocolate, accompanied by lots of panting. I do hope it was just the heat.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, Beckie’s breathing is okay this morning !

I wonder if an inexpensive real or fake, very noticeable, security camera might put them off, if it could be mounted where it could be seen by the perps?
I’m thinking I might have to go this way if it continues. I already have a camera, but it wouldn’t catch what’s going on in the path on the side of the house, where stuff happens. It would have to be a cheap one, because it would be easy to destroy without me knowing (except by watching the footage).

Dechi I hope Beckie is fine this morning. As an FYI hyperactivity is the sign Lily shows when she has gotten a bite of chocolate, accompanied by lots of panting. I do hope it was just the heat.
I really have no clue what happened, other than as you say, hyperactivity caused by the chocolate candy, which she barely touched but since she has food allergies, it might have been enough.

Since she was acting normal last night when I went to bed, I let it go for the night. This morning she is breathing fine, even though it’s almost 81 degrees in the house, just like last night. She ate well too so I’m not concerned anymore.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Reactions: Dechi and EVpoodle

·
Registered
98 Posts
For future emergencies, keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a syringe handy. Talk to your vet about correct dosage for your dog's size. For mine it was 10cc's. If they eat something like chocolate, getting it out asap is vital. Give them a dose of peroxide and, within 10-15 minutes, they should vomit out whatever they ate. I used to live 2.5 hours from the nearest vet so, at my vet's direction, was always prepared for this. Came in handy when a guest left a triple chocolate brownie on the coffee table.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I sometimes find objects or food that people throw in my yard (Even though it’s completely fenced and inaccessible). Today, I saw Beckie munching on something that looked like a stick. I went to look and it was some kind of chocolate covered hard candy. I took it away immediately but couldn’t stop worrying that she would be sick.
I wonder if it’s the same person who left that wonderful tissue ball of nastiness on your property :sick:? People are so gross sometimes... Poor Beckie.

The camera idea is a good one.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For future emergencies, keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a syringe handy. Talk to your vet about correct dosage for your dog's size. For mine it was 10cc's. If they eat something like chocolate, getting it out asap is vital. Give them a dose of peroxide and, within 10-15 minutes, they should vomit out whatever they ate. I used to live 2.5 hours from the nearest vet so, at my vet's direction, was always prepared for this. Came in handy when a guest left a triple chocolate brownie on the coffee table.
That’s very good advice. I’ve given Beckie hydrogen peroxyde once when she ate Merlin’s medication that fell on the floor. In this case it didn’t even cross my mind because I took it away before she could even take a bite. The chocolate might have melted a bit in her mouth though.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if it’s the same person who left that wonderful tissue ball of nastiness on your property :sick:? People are so gross sometimes... Poor Beckie.
You have a good memory ! I had forgotten about that. Yes, it might be the same individual. :-(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts