Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today is Penny's first day of reality. Meaning that I am back at work, my wife and son have been on their regular schedules. I woke up at 4am this morning, walked Penny, she ate some breakfast then I left for work at 5:15. My wife and son get up at 6am and one of them will walk Penny. Then she goes into her crate at 7 when they leave for school. We have a dog walker coming at 11:30 to walk and play. She says she spends about 20 to 30 minutes with her k9 clients. Then my son gets back from school at 2:30 unless he's involved it the tech aspects of a theater production. In which case I pick him up from school and we are both home at 4:15ish. I hope all the training I've done over the last 3 weeks works. She hasn't had any issues with her crate even up to the 5 hour tests I did with her. I'm a bit worried but I think she'll be ok. At least I'm hoping she will.

Rick

·
Registered
11,596 Posts
I am sure all the careful work will pay off, especially with three walks to help settle her. What a good idea getting a dog walker involved - will she be able to take Penny for longer walks when she is older?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank you PoodleRick,

You are living MY soon to be reality. You must feel pretty good knowing how much solid groundwork you have laid. If you care to share more details of you 3 week schedule leading up to this important day, I know I would be very interested.

LCS

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good Luck! Sounds like you've got her all set. Today is similar for Pedro (though I am still on leave so it's just the one day for now). He will be in crate from 10:30-4 with me coming home for one walk in there somewhere. Lucky I work a 10 min walk away. I feel bad for him though, I know he will have the crazies tonight. Hope it goes well!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Rick seems like you've out your heart and soul into Penny since your brought her home. She seems like a very well adjusted puppy. With all your hard work I'm sure everything will be just fine. Great that you have a dog walker, that is just fantastic. Remember puppies do sleep a lot, and I think it's us that get frantic. I know I feel guilty when I leave Brandon for a few hours, but I just keep saying to myself he's sleeping even if I'm home.
So best wishes to you, and please keep us posted.

🐩Suddenly🐩

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you PoodleRick,

You are living MY soon to be reality. You must feel pretty good knowing how much solid groundwork you have laid. If you care to share more details of you 3 week schedule leading up to this important day, I know I would be very interested.

LCS
Sure I'll tell you what I did and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Most of the first week was spent getting to know her and try to learn how to read her. Her likes, dislikes, what if anything scares her, makes her happy/spunky. What grabs her attention outside: Squirrels, birds in the bushes, leaves blowing in the yard, sticks. What her internal schedule is: When she gets the zoomies, when she's sleepy, hungry, bored, mischievous. Also trying to get both of us on an hourly potty schedule as well as after eating and playing hard. The second week was teaching her what is ok and not ok. Although that also started the first week. Like it's not ok to use our hands, clothes, and furniture as chew toys. And crate training from the start. I started by rewarding her for showing interest in her crate then rewarding for going in the crate. Then rewarding for going in and letting me close the gate. Then I would step out of site for about fifteen seconds and reward the no reaction I got from being out of site. Worked up to about ten minutes out of site with no problem. I didn't push past that point because I didn't want to push her to failure. Keep everything good and positive. Over that first week we worked up to about 2 hours alone in her crate using that same "build up" style. Got her up to 5 hours by the middle of the third week. I posted a video of me coming home after a 4 hour crate session. Second week we also started extending the time between potty breaks. Second week we got to about an hour and a half. Third week we can go 2 1/2 to 3 hours between potty but we take her out more often than that. We've only had 2 accidents in the past two weeks. Again I'd rather train from success than failure. Still working on the bitey thing when she gets excited but she's still a pup and I figure she'll grow out of that as long as we're persistent with trading hands for toys and using the "yelp" that she Mom and litter mates use to tell each other that biting hurts. Lots of human socializing. I have 7 band members come over every Sunday for rehearsal and family, neighbors and friends come over play and lots of petting. That's really about it. At least that I can remember right now. Hope that helps.

Rick

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
We crated Chanter whenever we were out and at night for 2 1/2 years. I was running home at lunch to walk him. Nowadays, he is allowed to roam the house in our absence and he sleeps in my son's room at night. However, I love getting out at lunch to visit him.

Good for you Rick! Penny is a darling! Hey maybe you'll get more snowdays? We continue to get snow falling...ack..I've have heard that here in Ontario, Spring is expected to arrive sometime in July!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We crated Chanter whenever we were out and at night for 2 1/2 years. I was running home at lunch to walk him. Nowadays, he is allowed to roam the house in our absence and he sleeps in my son's room at night. However, I love getting out at lunch to visit him.

Good for you Rick! Penny is a darling! Hey maybe you'll get more snowdays? We continue to get snow falling...ack..I've have heard that here in Ontario, Spring is expected to arrive sometime in July!
Ooof not even at gunpoint. I really don't know how you Canadians do it. I mean I love Canada, my wife is from Montreal, but if I were to live in Canada I would live in Vancouver. A lot of rain and there is snow but you usually have to drive to it if you want some. This past weekends' snow we got was about 8 inches and man was I pissed. I was snow blowing in anger :D. My wife was laughing her a$$ off.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It's always a worry when first we do the "this is it" day! I drove home from work almost blind with panic about how Pippin would be... she was asleep...!!!

Penny will be fine - you are doing an AMAZING job with her!

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
Rick, you are doing an amazing job!!! Penny has no other choice than to be raised as a wonderful family member with so much love and attention to detail!!!!!
You have the 'real world' thing worked out perfectly!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
You seem to have a very well regulated schedule and well planned out. You're doing a wonderful job.

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
I can't believe how mellow she is!!!!! When I leave Molly and come back, it takes her at least 5 minutes of twirling and skipping and 'talking' to calm down!!!! Penny is so nonchalant
about the whole thing! You obviously are doing a very good job with her!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts