Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Pennhip tests a different aspect of a dogs hips. I have read that it can be a very good indicator of overall hip health.

The problems?

Breeders test too young. Hips change and not usually for the better, yet breeders are breeding based on Pennhip scores they got when their dog was 6 mnth old. I feel like Pennhip also becomes an excuse to breed early.

Margin of error. Even Pennhip will tell you that there is a certain percentage of error.

Buyers don't understand how to interpret scores. A Pennhip score of say .30 means that the dog's hips tested as good or better than 70% of the other dogs of its breed who also were tested with Pennhip. You can see the problem with this system. If all the dogs in the test population have crumby hips, what does it mean if you are better than 70% of the crumby hips?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Very interesting. I had never head of Pennhip till I joined this board. From what I have read, it is thought to be a good test. However it is fairly new and there is little consensus about whether it is better or as good as OFA (which also has some issues).

Perhaps in an ideal world, breeders would do both?

And as for the breeding early thing. I don't understand why people are breeding on early Pennhip or prelim OFA scores. Surely if those scores were solid enough for breeding purposes then OFA would certify earlier than 2 years old?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pennhip measures the angles, same score no matter who looks at it, where from what I have been told and read OFA is subjective, you can get an good from one test and two weeks later get a poor.

PennHip also doens't give you a good/excellent/fair/poor testing it gives you a rating in comparison to aother breeds that have been tested, as in dog A has hips better than 90% of the dogs tested in the breed, and dog X had hips better than 40% of dogs tested in that breed, also each hip is looked at and given its own score, not sure if OFA does that. I would prefer a breeder that uses PennHip over OFA as long as they test the animals hips AFTER two years old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts