Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the park today Peggy landed wrong after launching into the air to catch a ball. She didnt really make much of a noise when she landed but did walk back a little sheepishly. We thought maybe it had just knocked the wind out of her and she'd had a bit of a scare. We gave her a few cuddles and she seemed like she was fine. After a bit of a break she was running around again and playing with our other poodle Ned like nothing had happened.
I'm getting a bit stressed though as her tail is down and it was about 4 hours ago. I've given her some inspection (obviously i'm no vet) but she doesnt seem sensitive to any pressure or movement. She's walking naturally, sits normally and seems happy. She's actually not doing anything different at all except she's normally really expressive with her tail. i'm out of vet open hours atm but will take her down in the morning to get checked out.
Wondering if anyones had a tail down for 4 hours because of a scare etc or does this really indicate that she has an injury?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
I would suspect a back strain or similar. To be on the safe side I would restrict activity, especially jumping and steps or stairs until you have the all clear from the vet - disc injuries in dogs can be devastating, and although it is probably a minor strain avoiding anything that might cause further damage is a sensible precaution (Sophy slipped a disc some years ago - three weeks of strict crate rest sorted it). Have you checked her hind foot placement? If you turn the foot under while she is standing does she immediately put it right, or does she tend to rest on the knuckles? You say she is walking normally, which is good - watch for any weaving or stumbling in the hind legs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the responses.
charmed - yes totally agree, i think this may be the very first time she has been injured and isn't sure what to do other than act like nothings wrong.
fjm - i didnt test hind foot placement but she is now sleeping so i'll try let her get a good night rest in and check in the morning.
vita - thanks you, definitely going to the vet first thing in the morning and following anything they say

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
My Pia startles easily I've worked hard with her to overcome this, we've done so well occasional I forget. Pia tripped on the stairs, she refused to go up or down, yes we went to the vet she was unharmed it took a few more days to convince her the stairs weren't going to eat her.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Zekefur strained his neck jumping up on my (high, tall) bed. The next morning his tail was down as he walked around. He wasn’t sensitive to any pressure on his neck. (Shortly after that, he had two bouts with pancreatitis).

I noticed later, that if his foot slipped, or somehow scared himself, he would immediately go into “hurt” postures: tail down, head low, but very soon after that was fine again. So yes, it can scare them.

The vet had him on Carprofen. A very good anti-inflammatory. Hopefully that will be all that is needed, if anything at all.

Please keep us in the loop as to what the vet say, etc. I’m hoping it was a simple scare and a bruise of pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts