Poodle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I was going to suggest they maybe skip today’s walk, but my husband took Peggy out before I woke up today. She did fine. He took her to a park and let her sniff and explore and really do whatever she wanted. The only thing that spooked her was a white plastic bag drifting in the breeze. (Normal silly adolescent stuff.) He said she was otherwise happy and relaxed.

She will be seeing familiar dog friends and our dear trainer on Tuesday. I’m so grateful for our dog village, of which you all are very much a part. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It as been awhile since I have posted here. But I do read the post. When reading your post on Peggy, my heart broke 😓. We had the same experience with Bond . We always went to our favourite dog park, great caring people and wonderful dogs. Bond had played with this group since he was a puppy. No issues, we all took care of our dogs, and took responsibility within the park keeping it clean and adding fresh water for our pups. He played with all of them and loved to run with them. Until one day , we arrived as usual ,same time hoping to meet up with our friends and his canine buddies. Two years we had formed great friendships. We had some new people and there was a beautiful golden lab running with his group of buddies, they stopped and looked at us as we unleashed Bond in the holding area.
A separate fenced in area for leashing and leaving the park. My husband unleashed Bond at the entrance. The Lab and his buds approached the fence. There was no reaction from Bond, he was ready to play and run. That was when the Lab rushed Bond in the fenced in area and pounced on top of him along with two other dogs. We could hear our poor Bond whining yelping in pain , we could not get them off as it is a small containment area. I kicked at the Lab and others Off, Off get them off Now, My husband grabbed the Lab threw him off ,he goes after Bond again. Finally someone calls them off. The owner of the Lab had a shocked look on her face. I said to her you need to work on your dog. Shaken, upset we left. Not One Apology, nothing. We. Walked to our car to check on Bonds condition , he threw up and was shakened, there were no open cuts around his neck or the rest of his body. He was able to calm down. From this maddening incident we went from a calm happy socialized dog to a reactive dog. We had to slowly introduce him to other dogs, no rushing forward, it has been a long training session. With work he is able to run again with his buddies again with no apprehension. And No More dog parks. Lessoned learned. This also applies to walks. If another dog starts barking we move to another part of the street. We have him sit and stay , with praise and stay in place, until then other dog leaves and he remains calm. Sorry for the long post , I know how traumatizing this feels.
im sure, Peggy will do well and all my best. Your husband did the right thing.
Thank you for popping in to share and commiserate. I’m so sorry this happened to Bond. :(

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I’m sorry to hear this, that must have been scary. Good to see her looking happy!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ugggghhhh.

My husband was walking Peggy today, in a field at the edge of our little downtown, when he saw two dogo argentinos off leash. We’d been warned about these dogs before.

The owner started shouting “Don’t panic!” as my husband turned to leave. The dogs ran and both jumped on Peggy. She was pinned. My husband is so horrified by it now, but he just started kicking them. He would get one off, and then the other. He has rope burn on his hand from the leash.

Peggy is okay. No punctures. No limping or anything, at least not yet. The owner said it was my husband’s fault. (Peggy was on leash, the dogos were not.) He said that my husband “panicked.” (My husband did not panic.) And that he always knew his dogs could “sense panic” and that my husband proved him right.

Peggy took cheese after. She was calm, but not shut down. We’re both pretty amazed by her. But I assume this could lead to future reactivity, especially when faced with a muscular white dog or multiple dogs at once while on leash. My heart feels a little broken at the moment. We, like all of you, just want our poodle to believe the world is kind and safe and good. At least she knows she can always count on my husband.

View attachment 475325
Ugh, 1st I'm so happy Peggy is okay. No, your husband didn't cause this. The idiot who has 2 Dogos who are off leash & out of the handlers control is who caused it. If he has dogs that he can't recall he is an irresponsible jerk to have them off leash. 😡

I hope your husband reported the incident. Had that been some elderly person who actually freaked out... could turn much worse. It's owners like that guy who ruins walking in public with our dogs. Your hubby was brave & Peggy is lucky he acted fast. Hugs to Peggy

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Lol! She says "Please focus on the important things! We could be playing and you are pointing that dumb thing at me again!" Also I think she is going to start rocking the mustache look.
Lol. I’m torn between embracing it and shaving it off while she’s sleeping.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I am so glad to hear the Peggy and your husband are doing fine. I have seen Dogos in action and those Dogos were not being very serious. Thank goodness for that little miracle. Be sure to give Peggy a once over massage to check for any swellings that may pop up. I am sorry you had to suffer through this.

·
Registered
590 Posts
PeggythePoodle, I would be very interested in your trainer's assessment of this. I have a pretty good guess. Their size & capability, I'm guessing they didn't view her as a threat/challenge. The argument is still sound that the handler did not have control. Control means when I call a dog out (off of a target) then the dog ceases to move forward & stops pursuit of his target regardless of the dogs' feelings on the matter. It's not okay to have your pair of Dogos (breed/size really doesn't matter) on the loose, out there molesting, bullying, doing any form of harm to others (breaking the skin or not). If you don't have control of them when they saw Peggy & her human walking, then they should be on leash. When you handle big powerful dogs like, you KNOW if your dogs launch on someone they're not gonna be like, "hey man, you're dogs are coming at my dog... I'll just stand here & hope they don't kill her". Blaming the victim of your dog's attack (bloody or not) is a cheap excuse.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
That’s horrible poor Peggy. I’m glad she’s ok and I’m glad your husband was able to protect her.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
I have shared many times how my DH fended off two pit bulls, with a previous dog. Don’t forget the human PTSD possibilities. Your husband was brave to reset to routine immediately, after such a frightening attack, from potential human and canine, oops lion killers... So glad your husband and dear Peggy are okay. That’s a lot. Hugs!

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's exactly what I did when Levi was attacked by an off leash mutt, kick at it. I did not connect, but wish I had.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Ugggghhhh.

My husband was walking Peggy today, in a field at the edge of our little downtown, when he saw two dogo argentinos off leash. We’d been warned about these dogs before.

The owner started shouting “Don’t panic!” as my husband turned to leave. The dogs ran and both jumped on Peggy. She was pinned. My husband is so horrified by it now, but he just started kicking them. He would get one off, and then the other. He has rope burn on his hand from the leash.

Peggy is okay. No punctures. No limping or anything, at least not yet. The owner said it was my husband’s fault. (Peggy was on leash, the dogos were not.) He said that my husband “panicked.” (My husband did not panic.) And that he always knew his dogs could “sense panic” and that my husband proved him right.

Peggy took cheese after. She was calm, but not shut down. We’re both pretty amazed by her. But I assume this could lead to future reactivity, especially when faced with a muscular white dog or multiple dogs at once while on leash. My heart feels a little broken at the moment. We, like all of you, just want our poodle to believe the world is kind and safe and good. At least she knows she can always count on my husband.

View attachment 475325
Oh just seeing this. I am so so sorry this happened. Glad everyone is ok. I have absolutely no patience for people having their dog off leash in public. I see no excuse or reason for it no matter how well behaved or friendly the dog is. At anytime you can encounter another and dogs are animals and you never know how one will react. It is one of the main reasons I have no longer been getting my walks in. Its totally disrespectful to others. I am glad Peggy and your husband are fine.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
PtP. Did you contact the authorities? Has anything happened? How is Peggy doing now? Is she completely back to normal, and your husband too? I hope you are all doing okay.

Reactions: Ava. and EVpoodle

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am so glad to hear Peggy and your DH are ok! I had a very similar incident that I think I may have shared here before. I am rarely here these days, but still get updates once in a while. So the attacking dogs in my horrible incident were American Bulldogs (very similar in style and build to Dogos) and we were on a rail trail very close to our house. I walked passed a house next to an orchard early morning with my two leashed dogs - a Pointer and a Dalmatians and the two Amercian Bulldogs came charging at us from their yard. What happened next was pure gut reaction - I don't recommend it and I am still traumatized by it but I gathered both leashes tightly behind me tucked both my large and strong dogs behind me, lifted my arms and loudly cursed and shouted at the approaching dogs. I acted like a completely unhinged lunatic. First it startled them. They stopped. Then they tried to creep closer, trying to avoid me (I was acting even more crazy and they did not want anything to do with me - they just wanted to get passed me and at my dogs). So they crept closer and I stomped and screamed and kicked up the gravel towards them. That startled them. Then I advanced towards them screaming actually charging at them (my two boys tugged behind me then). The older one of the two American Bulldogs had enough of this lunatic woman and ran back home. The younger male was still sizing me up and now the completely ineffectual owner appeared being roused by my non stop screaming and hollering. The woman made some feeble calls of "come" which the dog completely ignored and it was visibly emboldened by the owner's appearance. We kept this dance up for at least another 10 minutes - the owner incapable of catching the dog, me by now hoarse from screaming and my two boys tugged behind me and scared (but I knew at the same time if I let them go there would be a major fight). So this went on and on - the dog circling around me but keeping a distance and then a poor jogger came on the scene. The dog let off us and pursued the jogger - the woman screaming and cursing at the owner! It was a mess! I was able to move on - and get out of what the dog considers his territory (I felt terrible for the jogger, but she seemed to give the owner a piece of her mind) Unfortunately our car was in the other direction, so we had to pass the scene yet again. We walked 15 minutes in the other direction to calm down me talking to my dogs in a cheerful and upbeat tone and then 15 minutes back to the same spot and to our horror the scene was almost the same as half hour before, only now two guys on bikes also were involved because the out of control dog was now trying to attack them as well. In the fracas we made it passed all this mess and ran back to our car. To this day I regret that I did not exchange phone numbers with the other parties involved. The owners of these horrible dogs many years later finally moved or surrendered their dogs I don't exactly what happened, but the dogs are no longer there. I avoided the house for many years even though it is my closest walking trail near my house. In other words do yourself a favor and for the future you DO report it...you may be saving someone else's or someone's dogs life!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ugggghhhh.

View attachment 475325
Watch her closely for a day or so. i would also call your vet to determine what symptoms you should watch for. As a Nurse, I know for a fact that internal injury may not present right away.

Is there a leash law where you are? Even if no, I would call your local animal control. It is not your husband's fault. It is apparent the owner does not have control of his animals. The dogs need to be leashed or fenced. Even if your husband did panic....it doesn't matter. THE OWNER DID NOT HAVE CONTROL OVER HIS ANIMALS!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ugggghhhh.

View attachment 475325
And what would have happened if those dogs had attacked a child. I would feel more comfortable if the dogs/owner were reported

61 - 80 of 84 Posts