Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Oliver and I also send our anger and sorrow at this attack happening. Your husband reacted wonderfully and protected Peggy, and I'm sorry about his rope burn. Watch that it heals well and please don't let him hesitate to get seen if it starts looking wonky at all.

I'm grateful Peggy came through physically and apparently emotionally safe - in no small part due to your DH and all the happy experiences you've given her with other dogs.

Finally, I join everyone else in seething at that lousy owner's arrogance and idiocy.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is horrible! Good for your husband that he defended poor Peggy with kicks, probably saved her life. Took real courage on his part. Typical - the owners of aggressive off-leash dogs ALWAYS blame the people/dogs who are attacked by their animals. So glad Peggy seems ok, but you should file a complaint with your local authorities. Then it is on record that the dogs already attacked a leashed pet unprovoked, and when it happens again, a better case for charges can be made. I was once walking a mini Schnauzer on leash next to my toddler in a carriage and an off leash German Shepherd charged us, snarling. I tied the leash to the carriage, pulled my baseball bat out from under it and positioned myself in front, ready to do some swinging. The owner went nuts on me, threatening to call police, etc. I told him to go ahead, there was no court in the land would convict a Mama defending her baby from a dog attack. The guy started to threaten me, and I invited him to come closer for a helping of my bat as well. Both aggressors decided I was deadly serious and ran off. I usually carry a stout hiking stick for safety. Most aggressive dogs (and their idiot owners) cool off real quick when faced with someone ready and able to defend themselves from attack

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh dear!!! Poor Peggy! I’m glad she and your husband are ok. I have had trouble with off leash dogs as well. My mini got attacked from behind by a loose dog that ran out of the pet store we had just visited . I didn’t have time to pick him up—it happened so fast. I ended up turning in circles and lifted the leash so my poodle would hop over the dog —kind of like those rides at the fair. I got really dizzy-the owner finally ran out and grabbed the dog! Luckily, despite all of the snarling-there were no bites. He is a bit reactive now with larger dogs. I try to be aware and walk him on the other side of the street when we pass a dog we don’t know. Hugs for Peggy!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts
I was once walking a mini Schnauzer on leash next to my toddler in a carriage and an off leash German Shepherd charged us, snarling. I tied the leash to the carriage, pulled my baseball bat out from under it and positioned myself in front, ready to do some swinging. The owner went nuts on me, threatening to call police, etc. I told him to go ahead, there was no court in the land would convict a Mama defending her baby from a dog attack. The guy started to threaten me, and I invited him to come closer for a helping of my bat as well. Both aggressors decided I was deadly serious and ran off.
I'm sitting here laughing... do not mess with mama bears! You are awesome. 🏆

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That is horrible! Good for your husband that he defended poor Peggy with kicks, probably saved her life. Took real courage on his part. Typical - the owners of aggressive off-leash dogs ALWAYS blame the people/dogs who are attacked by their animals. So glad Peggy seems ok, but you should file a complaint with your local authorities. Then it is on record that the dogs already attacked a leashed pet unprovoked, and when it happens again, a better case for charges can be made. I was once walking a mini Schnauzer on leash next to my toddler in a carriage and an off leash German Shepherd charged us, snarling. I tied the leash to the carriage, pulled my baseball bat out from under it and positioned myself in front, ready to do some swinging. The owner went nuts on me, threatening to call police, etc. I told him to go ahead, there was no court in the land would convict a Mama defending her baby from a dog attack. The guy started to threaten me, and I invited him to come closer for a helping of my bat as well. Both aggressors decided I was deadly serious and ran off. I usually carry a stout hiking stick for safety. Most aggressive dogs (and their idiot owners) cool off real quick when faced with someone ready and able to defend themselves from attack

I was going to recommend my husband start carrying something, but now I might just suggest he take you along on their walks!! I almost cheered out loud reading that. :)

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
OMG - how frightening for Peggy and your husband. - without his reaction something even more serious could have happened - he is a great defender of Peggy.

This man & his dogs need to be stopped now - report if you can.
Second the glass of wine & special rubs and treats for Peggy - keep her close.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Very frightening, and very concerning, considering who might next be hurt. Definitely report the incident and add to the growing weight of evidence against this criminally careless dog owner.

As others have said I think the many, many happy experiences Peggy has had with other dogs will help her to recover quickly, and not label all other dogs as potentially dangerous. Big white dogs may be an issue - mine decided black spaniels were to be warned off after an unpleasant experience with one. Bit by bit they worked out how to distinguish the nasty spaniel from all the others, helped by the sensible owner keeping him on leash whenever other dogs were around.

Your husband acted heroically - I am sure knowing he was there to protect her will help her keep her confidence. Big hugs to all three of you - it has been a really stressful day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am so sorry—what a frightening and traumatizing experience. Poor Peggy! Your husband is a hero! I’m not sure what I would have done in the same circumstance. Thank you for sharing so that we can learn from it too.

·
Registered
Tessa and Molly
97 Posts
Peggy is okay. No punctures. No limping or anything, at least not yet. The owner said it was my husband’s fault. (Peggy was on leash, the dogos were not.) He said that my husband “panicked.” (My husband did not panic.) And that he always knew his dogs could “sense panic” and that my husband proved him right.
I'm very relieved to hear that Peggy is OK.

But I think your husband needs to make an effort to prove the other owner "wrong".
At the very least you should speak with your local animal control or bylaw department.
Especially if there are leash laws where you are.

No one else should have to go through what you did, and you shouldn't have had to either.

His very irresponsible comment is like a like a mugger demanding your wallet at gunpoint and then saying it's your fault because you have money. (IMO.)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

Normie wants to walk with you from now on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is awful! I'm so sorry it happened, and yet I'm not surprised at all. Your husband is my new hero. And @Charlie's Person as well.

One of our neighbors on our little street has two large dogs (he claims they're cane Corso, but I don't think they follow the breed standard) that are allowed to roam free. The male is intact (they both are, as he's planning to breed them). I'm worried about when Pooka goes into heat. So far nothing bad has happened but it really only is a matter of time. The male in particular is very difficult to read the body language on because his ears and tail are cropped very, very close. Pooka, of course, wants to play with them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So sorry to hear about what happened to Peggy and your husband. My husband would have done the same. Brings back memories of Winnie's ordeal a couple of weeks ago. It's so scary that these dogs are out there. I spend most of my walk time keeping my eye out for dogs that could go for her and truth is there are more of them than I would like to see. I hope she gets through the trauma unscathed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad that you are all ok. Your husband definitely reacted in the right way and that's brave of him. I just don't get some people. Definitely report that, it could have escalated quickly. I do wonder though, why the 2 dogs didn't bite. Please give Peggy some treats for us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It as been awhile since I have posted here. But I do read the post. When reading your post on Peggy, my heart broke 😓. We had the same experience with Bond . We always went to our favourite dog park, great caring people and wonderful dogs. Bond had played with this group since he was a puppy. No issues, we all took care of our dogs, and took responsibility within the park keeping it clean and adding fresh water for our pups. He played with all of them and loved to run with them. Until one day , we arrived as usual ,same time hoping to meet up with our friends and his canine buddies. Two years we had formed great friendships. We had some new people and there was a beautiful golden lab running with his group of buddies, they stopped and looked at us as we unleashed Bond in the holding area.
A separate fenced in area for leashing and leaving the park. My husband unleashed Bond at the entrance. The Lab and his buds approached the fence. There was no reaction from Bond, he was ready to play and run. That was when the Lab rushed Bond in the fenced in area and pounced on top of him along with two other dogs. We could hear our poor Bond whining yelping in pain , we could not get them off as it is a small containment area. I kicked at the Lab and others Off, Off get them off Now, My husband grabbed the Lab threw him off ,he goes after Bond again. Finally someone calls them off. The owner of the Lab had a shocked look on her face. I said to her you need to work on your dog. Shaken, upset we left. Not One Apology, nothing. We. Walked to our car to check on Bonds condition , he threw up and was shakened, there were no open cuts around his neck or the rest of his body. He was able to calm down. From this maddening incident we went from a calm happy socialized dog to a reactive dog. We had to slowly introduce him to other dogs, no rushing forward, it has been a long training session. With work he is able to run again with his buddies again with no apprehension. And No More dog parks. Lessoned learned. This also applies to walks. If another dog starts barking we move to another part of the street. We have him sit and stay , with praise and stay in place, until then other dog leaves and he remains calm. Sorry for the long post , I know how traumatizing this feels.
im sure, Peggy will do well and all my best. Your husband did the right thing.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that Peggy was attacked. I agree with the others that the owner should be reported. Most cities/counties have pretty strict laws about dangerous dogs. Hugs to Peggy and to you and your husband, too.

·
Premium Member
24,031 Posts
First it is good that physically neither Peggy nor DH was injured. Second if your area has leash laws the offending party should be reported. Here is where I will disagree in some ways with most other people posting to say that a dog on leash is always very vulnerable because its choices are restricted by the leash. In that situation I would have dropped my leash so my dog could make its own effort to escape or to counter the attack, admittedly very hard to think to do and more so since there were two loose dogs. I also am not sure I think the other dogs can be characterized as dangerous though since neither of them inflicted damage that broke skin. I think the owner was a jerk since he had loose dogs in a public space and what he said to your DH was at the very least too much macho stupidity and really very mean spirited. He needs to obey your local leash laws especially since he admitted his dogs will take unfair advantage of the situation.

Please make sure that you take active measures to counter any psychological damage inflicted on Peggy and your DH asap.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti
41 - 60 of 84 Posts