Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
I am glad that Peggy is okay, I do seriously hope that you reported the incident to animal control..

·
Registered
Layla
63 Posts
I am so saddened to hear what an awful experience both Peggy and your husband endured. I walk my Layla mostly by myself and I don’t know I if would be strong enough to try and defend Layla myself. As bad as this experience was Peggy was so lucky that your husband was able to try and kick those dogs off Peggy. I hope you never have to experience that again. My thoughts are with you

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have tears rolling down my cheeks. I’m sad this happened to Peggy and your husband. He is definitely a hero!!! And even if he did feel panic...shame, shame on that owner for saying those words. He is totally in the wrong at so many levels. Who wouldn’t panic to some extent in that situation? I know I wouldn’t be able to fight off two large dogs like that. The nerve of that owner to blame your husband is appalling to me but knowing people and experiences we have encountered with our dogs, sadly I’m not surprised. I could go on and on but just know my heart goes out to the 3 of you and I am very glad to hear Peggy is ok. As others have said, definitely report it so that at least they have it on record. Give Peggy a big smooch, belly rub or whatever she likes best and hugs to you as well.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
Poor Peggy! I'm so sorry this happened to all of you. My heart hurts just thinking about it. Please for the sake of the dog/person that these
dogs hurt/kill report him and his dangerous dogs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’ll keep details off the forum, but another friend just gave me an earful about this guy. Sounds like animal control definitely knows who he is. :(
I'm so sorry that he and Peggy had to go through that. Dog attacks, especially with larger and/or multiple dogs are so scary.

Absolutely report this incident, if you haven't already. If this person's dogs have a history of attacks, the more people who report them the better.

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts
The sight of two Dogo Argentinos charging would have been terrifying to me. Those are BIG dogs, used for hunting big game and wild boars from what I what I've read. Not to excuse the owner's irresponsibly having them off-leash, I'm wondering if they only wanted to play since neither Peggy nor your husband were bitten hurt. This could have gone so very wrong. Can you imagine if an elderly or frail person were walking their dog and panicked, and got knocked down and had a heart attack or broke their pelvis?

Sheesh. I agree with others that the owner should receive an official warning or fine. And who needs two giant, big game-hunting dogs in the city anyway?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I'm so so sorry this happened. That sounds awful. The owner of the dogos was entirely at fault. That's completely irresponsible and nonsensical.

Reactivity isn't necessarily triggered by events like this. I know many dogs that have been attacked and injured and still not had any reactivity or aggression surface. Misha was attacked a year ago and did suffer minor injuries but never showed any change in his behavior. Hopefully Peggy can rely on all the good experiences she has had to bolster her against this one bad one.

Sending hugs and tea. Tell Peggy we are so glad she is ok.

·
Registered
Remy
85 Posts
How horrible for you all! Thank goodness your husband and Peggy are ok.

I experienced something similar when a pit bull attacked my Afghan hound. I reported it to animal control and the owner was fined. Some dog owners have no sense of responsibility.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
458 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I'm glad everyone is OK. Do you know the owner? If yes, maybe you can you talk to him about the importance of keeping them leashed (leash or loose them). I agree that you should report it for the record.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Appreciate you all so much. And thanks for the tea, @Raindrops :)

@Vita, if they wanted to play they have zero social skills. Running straight up to a leashed dog and pouncing on her is neither normal nor polite. But I’m also wondering why there were no bite injuries. I’ll be chatting with our trainer about it. She has extensive experience assessing and documenting these types of incidents. I’m sure she’ll be able to offer some insights.

And no, @94Magna_Tom, we don’t know the owner.

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
136 Posts
While Peggy might have leash reactivity problems in the future (and who could blame her!) at least you know they will be mitigated by the fact that you and your husband have put in so many hours building up her bank of positive experiences. She at least has a lot of prior experience to know that not every dog will do this to her and that more often than not, she has been safe on leash. SO. That's a tiny bit of solace, but all of your training and love will really come a long way towards helping Peggy get over this incident.

NOW. With that said. What the hell! That guy is terrible and I am so mad and I'm really sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
Stella - Standard Poodle
92 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened. I'm glad that Peggy and your husband are okay, and that your husband was there. Sending hugs (and treats for Peggy, of course)

The owner of the dogos was at fault and needs to control his dogs. Something should be done about him so this doesn't keep happening (or worse!)

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that Peggy and your husband were able to walk away. Your husbands instincts kept this from becoming a potentially much worse situation. This incident needs to be reported and even tho there's no apparent physical injury, you'll want confirmation that those dogs are UTD on rabies.

When we were attacked on a walk in our neighborhood a bit over a year ago Neo didn't make a sound while it was happening and if not for the small amount of blood, I couldn't have been sure that he'd been injured without going to the vet for a check.

If your area has leash laws, they're repeat offenders. They have no right to deliberately endanger anyone by allowing their dogs to be off leash outside of their own secure property, an officially designated off leash area, or at the invitation of another property owner on their own secure property.

I'd also post the experience on Nextdoor if you belong. This will possibly help your neighbors to be on the lookout, and to, without names or blame, put that owner on public notice in an area it's likely to happen again.

I know you'll pay close attention to her to watch for effects. After our incident, at first the boys both seemed fine on our walks, then lockdowns hit and I think the requirements to avoid close contact with people spilled over and intruded on full recovery, at least for Remo. He was not attacked but watched the attack on Neo from the far end of his leash. He's now very uncomfortable around loose dogs except those he knew before. It's a work in progress.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts