Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugggghhhh.

My husband was walking Peggy today, in a field at the edge of our little downtown, when he saw two dogo argentinos off leash. We’d been warned about these dogs before.

The owner started shouting “Don’t panic!” as my husband turned to leave. The dogs ran and both jumped on Peggy. She was pinned. My husband is so horrified by it now, but he just started kicking them. He would get one off, and then the other. He has rope burn on his hand from the leash.

Peggy is okay. No punctures. No limping or anything, at least not yet. The owner said it was my husband’s fault. (Peggy was on leash, the dogos were not.) He said that my husband “panicked.” (My husband did not panic.) And that he always knew his dogs could “sense panic” and that my husband proved him right.

Peggy took cheese after. She was calm, but not shut down. We’re both pretty amazed by her. But I assume this could lead to future reactivity, especially when faced with a muscular white dog or multiple dogs at once while on leash. My heart feels a little broken at the moment. We, like all of you, just want our poodle to believe the world is kind and safe and good. At least she knows she can always count on my husband.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh! That other owner is abominable! I'm so relieved that Peggy and your husband are safe.
I know. :( My eyes keep filling up with tears. Just an automatic reflex when I think about Peggy pinned on the ground like that (those dogs are HEAVY!) or what might have happened.

I asked my husband if, reflecting on it now, he wishes he would have dropped the leash. He thinks probably not. There was nowhere safe for Peggy to run. Just a busy road. Really an impossible situation.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So glad to hear Peggy is okay, and very sorry to hear that your husband received some injuries. Are you able to report this owner? Sounds like he needs to be put in his place regarding his responsibility of keeping his dogs leashed in public.
Our friend has encountered this same owner before, luckily with just one of the dogs, but it was unleashed on a popular walking and biking trail. I agree something needs to be done.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am so sorry this happened. I will say though, you need to find the owner, and at least report his dogs for agression, and or sue him for having his dogs attack your dog.
I would feel better if the owner had seemed like he learned something from the situation. He did eventually say he was sorry it happened, but I don’t think he was especially contrite.

I was never afraid of dogs before I moved to this town. :( The lack of responsibility is staggering.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would feel better if the owner had seemed like he learned something from the situation. He did eventually say he was sorry it happened, but I don’t think he was especially contrite.

I was never afraid of dogs before I moved to this town. :( The lack of responsibility is staggering
I know it it tuff when someone is like that. There is someone who walks through our neighborhood who has a dog that is highly aggressive. I would still sue him, only because Peggy and your husband were fine this time but what about next time?

Stay safe and give Peggy a treat for me please.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m so sorry this happened to Peggy and your husband. The fact the guy is blaming your husband and clearly thinks nothing at all would happen if only “dumb humans” would listen to him when he yells “don’t panic!” (and I’m guessing it hasn’t occurred to him his dogs could be reacting to that too) is quite infuriating. (I can’t remember which town you’re in?)

I hope Peggy and your husband are both able to shake it off, quite literally (it’s trauma technique wild animals use that studies show people could learn from)

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,716 Posts
Crud, I was hoping that this particular owner and his terrors stuck to a particular area, making it simple to avoid them.

ETA - Grant Lee Buffalo was a favorite back in the day. Nice to see the reminder.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crud, I was hoping that this particular owner and his terrors stuck to a particular area, making it simple to avoid them.

ETA - Grant Lee Buffalo was a favorite back in the day. Nice to see the reminder.
One of my husband’s clients. :) In addition to defending poodles, he illustrates t-shirts, posters, etc. for a number of musicians.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
(((Hugs))) poor Peggy. Hopefully you all can overcome this trauma.

I hope you can report it and have it on record, same with your friend who had a similar experience. I don’t know the laws in your area but I hope you can stop this from happening again. Clearly irresponsible owners of dangerous dogs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Peggy’s traumatic experience, but I’m glad that she’s physically okay. I am just stunned by the stupidity and arrogance of that other owner. If my dog ever hurt another dog in public (not that I let my dogs walk off-leash in the first place), I would be apologizing profusely and offering to pay the other persons vet bills; NOT victim blaming. Some people have few manners or common sense. :/

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Oh no, I had tears in my eyes reading this. I’m so sorry this happened to Peggy and your poor husband. This guy should not own such a powerful breed as he clearly has no clue what he is doing. Putting the blame on your husband because he is « panicking » is clearly an indication this man is a dangerous fool and he and his dogs are a ticking bomb. I mean, who would not feel a sense of danger at the sight of two big, muscular dogs running towards them and their dog ?

I really hope you file a complaint and this guy pays for what he is doing to people in his neighborhood. And that he wakes up. Make sure to write down everything while it’s still fresh in your husband’s mind.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,716 Posts
One of my husband’s clients. :) In addition to defending poodles, he illustrates t-shirts, posters, etc. for a number of musicians.
Gah, I'm impressed. Also, I've rewritten this post several times so I don't come across as a stalker. This was the best I could do.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this happened to Peggy and your husband. I think he made the best choice in a chaotic and dangerous situation. He was Peggy's hero, and I applaud him.

What a completely clueless owner! How infuriating that his stupid choices have endangered your family. He definitely needs to be taken to task. Though you are wise to not talk details here on PF, I have complete faith that you will be following up on this. Oh, the worst thing about pet ownership is enduring a dog attack!!

I am picturing Peggy being showered with your love and affection tonight. And maybe a glass of wine for you and hubby, lol. It is hard to destress from such a thing as this.

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
Oh no. That must have been really scary for both your husband and Peggy. I'm glad Peggy has a history of good interactions with other dogs. It would be worse if this was the first time she had encountered an unfamiliar dog.

I would file a police report. The police may or may not do anything if you do, but they certainly will do nothing if you don't. They need a record of an incident in order to act. These dogs are not under proper control, and they are therefore dangerous.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts