Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just out by the herb garden and saw some movement in the grass. Eek! We have lots of (harmless) snakes back here, which give me the creeps, so I hightailed it back up onto the deck.

A few minutes later I hear a leisurely "crunch crunch" from Peggy, who'd been lounging in the grass nearby. I got close enough to see a flash of white belly and then she was done and begging me to play frisbee.

What do you think it was? What has a white belly? Snake? Lizard? Mouse? Mole? Bird? Whatever it was, I hope its poor friends and family got the message: This yard is patrolled by a POODLE.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hope it wasn’t a snake! They give me the creeps too! A house I rented had them outside so badly! One day I found one In my room next to me on the floor and not even kidding I ran out topless to my upstairs neighbors, boobs in hands and he was laughing so hard at me. Went right down and snagged it out. I didn’t stay there for weeks after that lol

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope it wasn’t a snake! They give me the creeps too! A house I rented had them outside so badly! One day I found one In my room next to me on the floor and not even kidding I ran out topless to my upstairs neighbors, boobs in hands and he was laughing so hard at me. Went right down and snagged it out. I didn’t stay there for weeks after that lol
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:😭😭😭

A neighbour found one wrapped around the faucet in her bathtub. I told my husband I'm moving if that happens. I love where I live, but I've still got a city girl's tolerance for critters.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was it a furry white belly? I’d say a bunny. There’s been a ton of them in our yard lately.
I suppose it could have been a baby bunny, though I've never seen one around here. My parents had a dachshund mix that devoured an entire nest of baby bunnies right in front of us on a walk. It was horrifying how fast it happened.

·
Registered
474 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:😭😭😭

A neighbour found one wrapped around the faucet in her bathtub. I told my husband I'm moving if that happens. I love where I live, but I've still got a city girl's tolerance for critters.
Omg! I was totally living in the city when mine happened! I eventually got so frustrated I went out with a butcher knife.... until I realized they totally regenerate unless you hit the brain. Needless to say I moved lol

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
Thankfully Pogo is mostly a catch and release kind of hunter, although his encounters with our baby bunnies usually prove fatal to the bunnies. He just doesn't understand how fragile they are. He has zero interest in snakes. They just don't move in a way that sets off his chase instinct.

Me, on the other hand...I've horrified hubby by catching garter snakes so I can admire them better. He's not particularly interested in admiring them and would prefer I just left them in the yard. Since the snakes probably feel the same way, I mostly leave them alone these days.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm guessing lizard. Most are small enough that you wouldn't see it unless you're looking.

If Ms Peggy swallowed a bit, it may come back up with no harm done.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankfully Pogo is mostly a catch and release kind of hunter, although his encounters with our baby bunnies usually prove fatal to the bunnies. He just doesn't understand how fragile they are. He has zero interest in snakes. They just don't move in a way that sets off his chase instinct.

Me, on the other hand...I've horrified hubby by catching garter snakes so I can admire them better. He's not particularly interested in admiring them and would prefer I just left them in the yard. Since the snakes probably feel the same way, I mostly leave them alone these days.
If you came towards me with a snake, I'd be screaming bloody murder lol!

I've seen Peggy ignore snakes or show only mild interest. Same with lizards. Then again, they typically freeze in her presence so maybe they don't trigger her prey drive.

She does alert us to insects in the house. The cutest was when a parade of tiny ants was marching past her pen. She was not happy until we dealt with the situation! I'll sometimes see her stalk and pounce on something in the house, but I have zero interest in investigating. If she's keeping our house spider-free, that's fine with me!!

The more I think about yesterday's crunching, the more I think she couldn't have possibly caught something unless it just wandered onto her front paws. Wouldn't I have seen her stalking it? Or playing with it? Or actively guarding it from me? Would she really go so quickly from killing to dining? If so, yowza! Those are some primal instincts.

I suspect the mystery shall go unsolved.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah you'd think there wouldve been some scurrying and wild excitement if she caught something wild. My poodle is super gentle but my little Boston is a straight up killer, but thankfully nothing comes in the fenced portion of our yard anymore.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Groot brings me the birds he catches alive.. I suspect if he ever caught a squirrel he’d keep that to himself though 😂

·
Registered
507 Posts
I love the visual of Peggy being very unsettled by the ant parade marching by her bed. That is pretty cute.
Maybe today she was super stealth and quick with her catch because it was a snake and she knows you were freaked out by it. Then she completely disposed of the evidence. She basically saved your life, lol.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The snake avoidance clinic scheduled for this month has been postponed indefinitely. I was really hoping to take our dogs to it.

Our old whippet/border collie once brought a medium size (about 2 1/2 feet) bull snake into the house. We searched for it for 11 days before we were finally able to get it cornered and evict it. We do have rattlesnakes around - I've only see two since we moved here 22 years ago, though. I used to have horses - snakes tend to avoid places with horses probably because of those hard hooves hitting the ground. The wild horse band visited us last week, so maybe they have chased all snakes away for awhile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Last Sunday, I was on the computer and not paying attention to Maggie, I heard a noise. Didn't look down for a second or two. I saw something on the floor, leaned over with a tissue and picked it up---It was a WORM, and still alive! I brought it to the vet the next day, and the diagnosis was "non parasitic' worm! In other words not a worm that came from the dog. Where did she pick that up??? She definately coughed/gagged it up. Oh well, I looked all over the porch and nothing. Never know!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts