Poodle Forum banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts
Thank you. What would I do without Poodle Forum??

She's doing totally fine otherwise. Definitely still on edge—barking at any dogs that pass by the house, growling at noises, that sort of thing—but she's an adolescent, so I'm not especially surprised. And she stops quickly as long as I acknowledge the scary thing and thank her for alerting me.

She's eating and drinking normally. Training is going great. She's sleeping fine.

She's not played with any dogs or even been close to any dogs since her last class on the 16th.

I've not received any updates on her classmates that got sick. Our trainer did check in yesterday, though, to see how Peggy was doing. I assume she'd let me know if there was anything noteworthy.

With this flaring up again after exactly 4 days of perfect health (just like last time), it's seeming less likely to me that it's class related.
I wonder the same myself sometimes.

Okay👍

Okay, that's great😎👍🎉!!

Okay👍

Okay. Yeah, I would think so too.

I'm thinking that this is doesn't have anything to do with class too. Has she still been licking Peggy Rock? Had she been licking Peggy Rock for those 4 days.

It sounds as if it could be a bug. I had bacterial dysentry once - every Wednesday and Thursday for several weeks... I read the whole of War and Peace while stuck in the bathroom!

There again Poppy has recently had similar symptoms, and her vet thinks her problem may be SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth), caused by migration of bacteria from the large intestine, where they are helpful, to the small intestine, where they are not - all part of her liver disease in her case, but can happen for lots of other reasons. I am being a bit wary of probiotics for fear of making things worse.

NOOOOOOO! 😭

I’m glad she’s not completely down and out and but that’s so nerve wracking not knowing whats wrong. I think you mentioned you were working at home so you don’t have to leave her, right? If so, I’m happy she’s not stuck in her crate alone when the urge to diarrhea hits her like that.

Back in June Lacey had diarrhea every day for over 2.5 weeks (and not a fully solid poop until she hit 3 weeks after it started). She was much more jumpy, extra barky, and totally freaked out whenever I took her outside to use the bathroom. This was before fireworks started happening. She’s usually an alert barker in our yard, but this was even more than usual. Peggy’s barking might be adolescent alerty girl, but it also might be one of her sign’s she’s not feeling so good.

I dropped off a stool sample and they gave me two test options. One was a $50 test they do in house but was more basic (and can sometimes miss positive results like you mentioned in a past post). That is the one where the results are float, direct, cytology, and appearance. Then a $100 test where they send the sample out to a lab for a more in depth and precise test. It also tested for additional sicknesses like c diff and some other things I can’t remember. Is the more in depth test an option for you? Maybe something got missed and she just needs a round of medication to clear it. I hope it’s something simple. :(
(If you were wondering about what was going on with Lacey, I just did the regular fecal test and it came back negative. But I strongly felt it was related to a recent kibble transition so I didn’t pursue the more in depth fecal test.)

Give Peggy a good ear scratch from me and a kiss on her sweet poodle cheek.

Discussion starter · #125 ·
It sounds as if it could be a bug. I had bacterial dysentry once - every Wednesday and Thursday for several weeks... I read the whole of War and Peace while stuck in the bathroom!
Thanks for the laughter as always. :)

I've been reading about giardia, as it seems like it can cause these cyclical bouts of diarrhea, and she is a shameless drinker of standing water. She always manages to find some at our weekly playdates and will then lead the others dogs to it.

Is the more in depth test an option for you?
I'm going to have to call and check. They assured me the test would identify giardia, but it was only $25 (which shocked me) and everything I've read said giardia typically requires repeat testing.

I haven't read through all the 7 pages, so perhaps this was done, but has she been tested for Coccidia? It is hard to detect and they have to do some kind of flotatation test whatever that means but it is Highly contagious is what I read. I think Coccidia can eat away at the intestines. Not to scare you but I would ask them to do that. It is missed in just fecal exams or can be. I am not a Vet and maybe you have looked into it. It is a protozoa ....not a worm or Giardia. Poor Peggy give her a love.......🧡

Discussion starter · #127 ·
I haven't read through all the 7 pages, so perhaps this was done, but has she been tested for Coccidia? It is hard to detect and they have to do some kind of flotatation test whatever that means but it is Highly contagious is what I read. I think Coccidia can eat away at the intestines. Not to scare you but I would ask them to do that. It is missed in just fecal exams or can be. I am not a Vet and maybe you have looked into it. It is a protozoa ....not a worm or Giardia. Poor Peggy give her a love.......🧡
That's funny you mentioned coccidia as my mother just called me last night to ask if it was a possibility. Her schnauzer had it years ago (from eating goose poop), but was much sicker than Peggy, who currently seems to be fine.

Each bout of diarrhea (of varying durations) has been four days apart, and tomorrow marks four days since her last one. So fingers crossed, yet again!

That's funny you mentioned coccidia as my mother just called me last night to ask if it was a possibility. Her schnauzer had it years ago (from eating goose poop), but was much sicker than Peggy, who currently seems to be fine.

Each bout of diarrhea (of varying durations) has been four days apart, and tomorrow marks four days since her last one. So fingers crossed, yet again!

How is Peggy doing after the 4 days?

Fingers crossed! Poppy is much better after three days on metronidazole, so fingers crossed here too. I think hers is now chronic, as a result of the liver disease, but at least I now know what to do to control it.

Reactions: Mick and Liz
Discussion starter · #133 ·
And another good 'un here this morning.

(Can't believe I am actually having a transAtlantic conversation about the consistency of poo, and getting excited by it!)
Lol. I love it! Very grateful for your long-distance support. And good job this morning, Poppy!

Peggy's sleeping soundly now. Her last poop of the day got my hopes up: It was almost perfectly formed, and then the last bit was soft and covered in mucous. Not bad, relatively speaking; the last time she had icky poop, it started normal and then ended with pure terrible liquid.

But technically the mysterious 4-day cycle continues.

Sounds like a job for Metronidazole to me - you may be of an age to need to use gloves when giving it. I was rather touched when a very young vet insisted on giving me several pairs of surgical gloves along with the prescription - at my age with the menopause many years behind me, I think the possibility of my getting pregnant is so remote that handling a possibly teratogenic tablet is the least of my worries!

Wow, hope you find the solution. I monitor my Spoos poo. He is on a raw diet ( except now during COVID he is getting high grade kibble about every 3 meals). Whenever it is not really firm I give him a bone in chicken leg quarter for a couple of meals and it gets him right on track again.

Discussion starter · #137 ·
Curious as to how she’s doing?
She seems totally fine.

Her last two icky poops—although still on that weird 4-day schedule—have been isolated incidents. And the most recent one wouldn't have even warranted concern under normal circumstances.

I suspect her immune system is doing its job, so I'll avoid antibiotics as long as she continues to improve. I've had her on probiotics for the past week or so, just to support her gut health.

I’m struggling with something similar. Babykins has ulcerative colitis. Once I figured out she couldn‘t tolerate legumes, fish and excess fat and kept her on a very strict diet, she's been good. I haven't had to treat her with medication in 2 years.

We have had a really hot summer and I know my dog gets really hot outside, I can feel the heat on her when I touch her back. I had to give her a 10 day dose of Metronidazole and that normally kicks in within a day or two and once treatment ends she's completely normal. This time it never quite got her BM nice and solid and after a few days the squirts and vomiting returned. We're on our second 10 day dose of Metronidazole and I hope this sets her back to normal. The vet is thinking it's the heat that's stressing her.

We're limited her time outside when it's very hot and I hope that solves our problem.

Do you think this could be Peggy's problem?

Discussion starter · #140 ·
Yeah those probiotics are pretty good hey? My dogs are doing so well on them I went and got some human kind for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It took me a while to find a kind I could tolerate. The really good ones (expensive, refrigeration required) caused me to bloat so badly, I gave up after three weeks.

Now I take Align, which noticeably improves my digestion without any of the side effects. I didn't actually believe it would work, but I was desperate.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.