Poodle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Excellent news on the digestion, less so on the learned reaction - I think you are very wise to avoid that class for a while. After a week of improving poos Poppy woke me an hour after we went to bed and has now done two yellow splats... I have dosed her with tummy medicine and will wait an hour before trying to sleep again.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Excellent news on the digestion, less so on the learned reaction - I think you are very wise to avoid that class for a while. After a week of improving poos Poppy woke me an hour after we went to bed and has now done two yellow splats... I have dosed her with tummy medicine and will wait an hour before trying to sleep again.
Oh poor Poppy. And you. Hope you and the whole gang are able to get some good sleep soon.

All is still refreshingly boring over here.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
I think it is a bit of everything - liver disease, a sensitive stomach, hoovering up stuff she shouldn't and perhaps an overgrowth of bacteria in the upper intestine. She used to want to eat grass until she vomited, and was showing signs of that this morning. I had her out several times this evening knowing she needed to poo, but she waited until it was dark and raining and I didn't have my lenses in... Nothing like playing hunt the poo bent double with a very inadequate torch, while rain drips down your neck!

It's been just about an hour with no aftershocks so I think we will try going back to bed. Hope Peggy's tum stays on an even keel, and that she quickly forgets about barking at passing dogs.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
It's been just about an hour with no aftershocks so I think we will try going back to bed. Hope Peggy's tum stays on an even keel, and that she quickly forgets about barking at passing dogs.
Hope you're sleeping soundly right now.

Peggy just did an icky urgent poop, but still normal brown colour. I'm calling it a win.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm happy to hear that Peggy is doing better and that you're going to ask your trainer about real life situation training that's going to fun and awesome😎🎉

FJM I'm sorry to hear about Poppy, and I hope you guys are doing okay today.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
It's a bit of a roller coaster isn't it, anxiously watching for the Perfect Poo! I am a bit zonked this morning - just as I was getting back to sleep at 1.30am the cats arrived and started an argument with Sophy about who got the best bed spot, and I woke up with caffeine withdrawal symptoms at 6.30am. Fortunately no need to go anywhere today, so I can kip this afternoon if necessary. And when I found the Lost First Poo this morning it was formed rather than splat - not Peggy's good colour, but like you I will take it as a partial win!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Grrrrrr. That makes me SO MAD. And sad.

I wonder how many animals get treated needlessly each year for all sorts of possible ailments, possibly doing even more harm to their poor bodies, when it's actually pesticide exposure.

Glad Fluffy was okay.
I just saw this post. I feel so bad about Peggy. Hopefully she recovers without any long-term effect. Our first standard poodle, at ~ 2yrs. old, went into the back yard after the yard was sprayed. We waited few hours longer than the company rep. stated it was safe to allow our dog to go into the yard. By next day, she developed diarrhea and began omitting. We ran to the vet. Vet asked about eating anything or walking anywhere, then performed some blood work, and put our fur baby on IV fluids. After that she explained that dogs absorb pesticides through their paw pads rapidly. Depending on the chemical, how hot it was, length of the time the dog walked on the sprayed grass, the condition of the dog worsens. We got lucky, we came for help just fast enough, before her systems began shutting down.
If the cause of Peggy’s diarrhea is a pesticide, the trainer should pay for more than just sample of Peggy’s poop. Trainer should know better than allowing a class to be held on the grass that was sprayed. FYI, after grass/weeds get sprayed with pesticide(s), both grass & weeds turn yellow to brown and look like that patch is dying out.
I’m not trying to scare you, just sharing our experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Could be high glycerin content in treats... cheap treats give my Sammy
I mostly steer clear of this ingredient, too. It used to give my mini mix terrible diarrhea.

Peggy's training treats are mostly low fat human foods, cut up into tiny pieces. She does love one processed treat that contains glycerin, but we only give it to her in moderation. Maybe I'll phase it out entirely.

81 - 100 of 152 Posts