Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just catching up. Sorry you and Peggy are going through this. I hope you're able to identify the cause and that she heals quickly.
Thanks, Liz. This is the first time she's really been sick since she was 9 weeks old. I love that her spirit still shines. She's out watching my husband rinse off his kayak right now, with all her usual enthusiasm for "helping."

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Probably best to make a vet appointment as soon as they are open - in my experience that often triggers an instant recovery, and if she is still unwell you can pick something up to help settle her. Poppy has now done two consecutive Good Poos...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yellow bile poo is scary to me after Annie's last adventure. If she isn't drinking or eating and is having bad diahrea.... doggy electrolyte solution by syringe in the mouth is what my vet suggested.

1 cup warm water, 1/4 tsp of salt and baking soda, 1 tsp maple syrup or honey is I believe the recipe she recommended.

She also recommended pinching the back of the neck and dropping it. If it is "springy" dog is fine, if "slack" and takes a while to bounce back, dog is dehydrated.

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I’m so sorry Peggy is still having symptoms. Poor girl. It sucks not to know what’s causing this.
I hope she’s back to her ice cube loving self with some normal poop tomorrow.
Thank you. :) Just sooooooo many variables. It's overwhelming trying to figure this stuff out.

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yellow bile poo is scary to me after Annie's last adventure. If she isn't drinking or eating and is having bad diahrea.... doggy electrolyte solution by syringe in the mouth is what my vet suggested.

1 cup warm water, 1/4 tsp of salt and baking soda, 1 tsp maple syrup or honey is I believe the recipe she recommended.

She also recommended pinching the back of the neck and dropping it. If it is "springy" dog is fine, if "slack" and takes a while to bounce back, dog is dehydrated.
Thank you for that recipe! I've gotten some salt into her, via handfed chicken and mushy rice, but we're letting her lick a bit of local honey right now. She says an enthusiastic THANK YOU!

I'm monitoring her closely for dehydration. She seems okay in that regard (better than Friday) but I know how quickly it can come on with those awful liquid poos.

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Probably best to make a vet appointment as soon as they are open - in my experience that often triggers an instant recovery, and if she is still unwell you can pick something up to help settle her. Poppy has now done two consecutive Good Poos...
Yay Poppy! I am going to do the happiest dance when I see a Good Peggy Poo in our yard.

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Is she doing any better? Teddy loves ice cubes too!
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday have all been relatively the same: A ton of urgent morning diarrhea, lethargic with little bursts of energy throughout the day, and then really feisty in the evening before she crashes. (Tonight was the first time in months that she refused to come inside when I called.)

She had no appetite today, which made me think she was getting worse, but then around 7pm she frantically began picking all the chicken out of her chicken & rice to gobble down. So I hope that's a good sign.

If it's like last week's illness, she'll be back to normal tomorrow. I've got all my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Poor Peggy! Her upset tummy reminded me of an incident we had in a dog class years ago. There was a woman who brought two dogs to class... Oprah and Dr. Phil were their names. The woman's voice had only one volume and it was LOUD. The people with more sensitive dogs kept moving away from the woman because their dogs were shaking and cowering. Picture a class of fifteen people with ten of them trying not to get stuck next to the loud woman. Not only was she loud, she was also quite verbose. Her philosophy seemed to be, "Why use one word when ten will do?!" There were only two dogs in the class that were not upset by this woman's litany of shouted verbiage. Yeah, Oprah and Dr. Phil were totally oblivious to their owner. They must have learned to ignore her as a method of self preservation.The rest of us were quite happy to see the class end. We saw a lot of lip licking and yawning from the dogs during that class. Hope Peggy gets back to her normal happy self soon.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday have all been relatively the same: A ton of urgent morning diarrhea, lethargic with little bursts of energy throughout the day, and then really feisty in the evening before she crashes. (Tonight was the first time in months that she refused to come inside when I called.)

She had no appetite today, which made me think she was getting worse, but then around 7pm she frantically began picking all the chicken out of her chicken & rice to gobble down. So I hope that's a good sign.

If it's like last week's illness, she'll be back to normal tomorrow. I've got all my fingers crossed.
And toes!

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
We saw a lot of lip licking and yawning from the dogs during that class.
1st: Oprah and Dr. Phil made me lol! I can't imagine being able to call those dogs with a straight face.

2nd: Do you think it's possible the loud new barking dog (we'll call her BD) in class could stress Peggy so much it might make her sick?

BD wasn't in the first class of the session, and Peggy didn't get sick after that one. Another dog did, but his symptoms are so severe, the vets are now considering meningitis.

BD joined the second class, after which both Peggy and another dog got severe diarrhea. That dog didn't return for the third class, and I have no idea how she's doing now.

The only other dog in class has been fine, but she's pretty unique. She was imported from overseas and was entirely unfazed by the air travel experience. Confidence through the roof and an extremely hardy breed.

But the barking really is intense. It's so shrill and stressed sounding, it gives me the same feeling as a visit to the Humane Society. And my husband commented midway through class that he's never seen Peggy hold her ears back like that.

She still did her best to focus on us, but it was obviously affecting her. She's never been around a dog like that. Certainly not confined in an indoor space with one.

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Good! Hopefully sweet Peggy is on the mend now. Fingers and toes crossed.
No change. :( We were so excited when she didn't go first thing this morning, but she's since had three urgent yellow mucousy liquid poops and is back to the same low energy she's had for the past three days. I tried scraping up a sample for the vet. Hoping they can work with it.

Was really hoping it would resolve quickly like last week.

·
Registered
322 Posts
No change. :( We were so excited when she didn't go first thing this morning, but she's since had three urgent yellow mucousy liquid poops and is back to the same low energy she's had for the past three days. I tried scraping up a sample for the vet. Hoping they can work with it.

Was really hoping it would resolve quickly like last week.
Maybe it's one of those things that suddenly gets worse before it gets better? Fingers (and toes) crossed that she gets better soon! I know it's no fun to have a poopy dog :(.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Fingers, toes, and paws crossed. I'm so sorry to hear that Peggy isn't feeling better. How soon can she go to the vet?

41 - 60 of 152 Posts