Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Aaww -poor Peggy. I hope that they get to the bottom of this soon. I'd ski\p classes until this is resolved.
I've been going back and forth with our dear trainer all day. She's wondering if it might be the hardcore sanitizer she's required to make everyone use at the start and end of each session.

To be honest, there are soooo many possibilities, I'm not sure how we'll ever know. :(

·
Registered
362 Posts
Someone else on this forum mentioned (years ago) that their dog drank water from a pond and got a bacterial gastrointestinal infection... could it be from a walk or hike you took? Altho 3 dogs from one class does sound like it’s from the class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Someone else on this forum mentioned (years ago) that their dog drank water from a pond and got a bacterial gastrointestinal infection... could it be from a walk or hike you took? Altho 3 dogs from one class does sound like it’s from the class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We were actually thinking it might be the water at class, as we fill up her bowl from the sink there. But I think bacteria would cause much longer illness.

Even though the diarrhea was more urgent this time around, and there was a LOT in a short amount of time, it was over faster. After last class, she actually leaked a bit in the house a few days later. This time around, she already seems back to her old self, 24 hours from onset.

So mysterious.

I keep coming back to the volume of training treats, as this seems like the simplest explanation. But if it were the treats, I feel like she'd have gotten sick right away. Or at least that night. I'm not sure why it would take until the next day.

Peggy says, "Thanks everyone for helping us try and figure this out! Now can someone please fill up this pool for me?"

·
Registered
330 Posts
Grrrrrr. That makes me SO MAD. And sad.

I wonder how many animals get treated needlessly each year for all sorts of possible ailments, possibly doing even more harm to their poor bodies, when it's actually pesticide exposure.

Glad Fluffy was okay.
I know. I wish they were banned, or at least kept away until desperate situations. I worry about kids getting it in their mouths, we have so many younger children here. And we’re right by a nature preserve, so I hope it doesn’t affect the wildlife... At least they only seem to spray it irregularly.

Glad Peggy seems to be doing better!

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I know. I wish they were banned, or at least kept away until desperate situations. I worry about kids getting it in their mouths, we have so many younger children here. And we’re right by a nature preserve, so I hope it doesn’t affect the wildlife... At least they only seem to spray it irregularly.

Glad Peggy seems to be doing better!
I worry, too. Spraying parks, as well as hiking trails and rec paths, seems like common practise in the U.S.

Peggy finally pooped for the first time since yesterday's horrible episode, and it was just all yellow bile and mucous. She's definitely still dealing with whatever this is. I don't think we'll be returning to class this week. :(

·
Registered
215 Posts
Poor Peggy and u! That definitely doesn’t seem like a coincidence! It could any of those things or all of those things. How frustrating. I’m sorry 😐

·
Registered
215 Posts
I worry, too. Spraying parks, as well as hiking trails and rec paths, seems like common practise in the U.S.

Peggy finally pooped for the first time since yesterday's horrible episode, and it was just all yellow bile and mucous. She's definitely still dealing with whatever this is. I don't think we'll be returning to class this week. :(
Awe poor Peggy 😔

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Poor Peggy and u! That definitely doesn’t seem like a coincidence! It could any of those things or all of those things. How frustrating. I’m sorry 😐
Thanks, Teddy's Mom.

We're going to start ruling out the many possibilities, beginning first with skipping Thursday's class. If it's something like IBD, it could come in waves, so I need to be sure she's not just going to get sick again on Friday, regardless of what we do the day before.

If she's fine, I'll give it another day or two to be safe, then do an intense one-hour training session, with a typical allotment of treats, and see how that goes.

I feel better having a plan in place. It's hard seeing her like this. :(

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yellow bile and mucus on the poop, and vomitting sounds a LOT like Annie's recent experience with herbicide... If it continues, I'd be calling the vet.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yellow bile and mucus on the poop, and vomitting sounds a LOT like Annie's recent experience with herbicide... If it continues, I'd be calling the vet.
No vomiting, thankfully. And she's got a good appetite, bright eyes, drinking fine, wanting to play—all the signs of a healthy poodle.

When it happened last week, she was lethargic for a few days. This time around it's just the diarrhea (so far). But it's gone from urgent big messy piles yesterday to almost pure slimy liquid today.

TMI, I know. Sorry. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Still sick today? smh. I hope she's completely better in the morning.
I think someone forgot to tell her she's sick! She's currently prancing around the backyard without a care in the world. Just tried to steal the garden hose, and now it's time for zoomies.

Hoping her tummy catches up with the rest of her tomorrow.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It helps when they act fine. Gives u hope that it will b ok and this to shall pass. Maybe vet could give her a small dose of meds to calm to gut. My vet had done that a few times for Teddy when his gut was inflamed and pooped out snotty mess. Looked like an alien. I was up all night googling dog poop. I know way more about dog poop than I ever thot I would. But we love em and we wanna help them feel better. My vet said the slime is the intestine sluffing off the hurt or sick that’s trying to go thru. Sorry for the graphic poop talk. Again it’s been my world lately. 😬

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It helps when they act fine. Gives u hope that it will b ok and this to shall pass. Maybe vet could give her a small dose of meds to calm to gut. My vet had done that a few times for Teddy when his gut was inflamed and pooped out snotty mess. Looked like an alien. I was up all night googling dog poop. I know way more about dog poop than I ever thot I would. But we love em and we wanna help them feel better. My vet said the slime is the intestine sluffing off the hurt or sick that’s trying to go thru. Sorry for the graphic poop talk. Again it’s been my world lately. 😬
Lol. For two people without kids, my husband and I also spend a considerable amount of time talking about poop! Something I always tell friends when they're contemplating getting a puppy: "Just know that at some point you're going to have to pull poo out of his or her butt. It may or may not be attached to a long human hair."

If Peggy's not back to normal on Monday, I'll be taking a fecal sample to the vet at our trainer's request. And if she gets dehydrated again like she was yesterday, I'll ask for a prescription to slow things down a bit.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Ah, the Poo Diaries... I'm glad Peggy is feeling more herself. Poppy did a Good Poo this morning, after 10 days or so of diarrhoea paste and 3 days of Metronidazole, but the last four weeks have produced nearly every variation of colour and texture, bar the horrors of actual blood. Since she was showing signs of dehydration earlier in the year I now add a little water to every meal, so her four meals a day now each consist of Royal Canin canned hepatic diet, cooked chicken breast, a dollop of canned pumpkin, a splash of water and a tiny dab of digestive paste, which my sister reckoned looked just like chocolate sauce on a sundae!

If Peggy can't tolerate pumpkin have you tried her with sweet potato? Same benefits, different vegetable.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If Peggy can't tolerate pumpkin have you tried her with sweet potato? Same benefits, different vegetable.
It's just pure yellow liquid now, and more frequent, so I've been sticking to the most bulking, digestible, bland thing I can think of: Overcooked white rice, chicken breast, and water. Unfortunately, this morning she's even turning her nose up at that, so we're handfeeding her a bit here and there. She doesn't even want to lick one of her beloved ice cubes.

But! She did just beg for my cinnamon roll, so that feels positive. Whatever this is ran its course in three days last week, so I'm hoping that will be the case again. We're currently on day 3.

Love to Sophy and Poppy from Peggy and me.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Just catching up. Sorry you and Peggy are going through this. I hope you're able to identify the cause and that she heals quickly.

21 - 40 of 152 Posts