Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone might help me troubleshoot.

Peggy has an ironclad stomach. It's her super power. We go to training classes on Thursdays, and last Friday-Sunday she had uncharacteristically horrid gas and diarrhea. She was otherwise okay, so we assumed it was something she ate. By Monday she was totally fine.

Then again today (the day after class) she's sick, but this time much worse. She woke me up crying in her crate and literally attempting to dig her way out. She NEVER has done that before. When I unlatched the door, she raced to the front door and then the back door, absolutely frantic, and barely made it to the lawn before the diarrhea started. She was so upset, she was begging to be let out of the backyard so she could poop further from the house.

This lasted an hour and now she's sleeping.

It seems like too much of a coincidence that this has happened twice now, the day after class, and I'm worried that it's more severe this time around.

I'm wondering: Could it be floor cleaner?

Our trainer has strict covid guidelines that she has to follow, which includes a lot of deep cleaning. Part of class is often scattering treats on the floor, or tossing a single treat, so Peggy absolutely licks the floor multiple times.

Another possibility: The last two weeks we've had a covid puppy join our class. This is an under-socialized adolescent who barks A LOT. And piercingly. It takes a toll on us humans, and Peggy's ears spend a lot of time in a funny "back" position, even as she's trying to focus on us. Could stress cause next-day tummy upset? Or is that a stretch?

For the first time ever, I'm scared to take her to class next week.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Poor Peggy! I would definitely bring it up to the trainer. It's certainly possible that she is licking a toxic cleaner. Generally they are not acutely toxic when dry but possibly they are cleaning right before the class. I would be surprised if it is the barking puppy. She has had worse shocks before I'm sure. Misha occasionally gets bad diarrhea if he eats a lot of grass. He has woken me up at night barking to go out when it happened. I know to listen to that bark!

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor Peggy! I would definitely bring it up to the trainer. It's certainly possible that she is licking a toxic cleaner. Generally they are not acutely toxic when dry but possibly they are cleaning right before the class. I would be surprised if it is the barking puppy. She has had worse shocks before I'm sure. Misha occasionally gets bad diarrhea if he eats a lot of grass. He has woken me up at night barking to go out when it happened. I know to listen to that bark!
I slept on the couch last night because I hurt my shoulder and needed the extra cushioning. Thaaaank goodness!!! Otherwise we probably wouldn't have heard her. This might be a good time to move her crate to the bedroom.

I just emailed our trainer. Thank you. She's such an awesome person, I know she's going to take this seriously and try to get to the bottom of it.

One dog actually wasn't in class this week because she had such bad diarrhea after last class and our trainer gave her work to do at home instead. Really not feeling like a coincidence. :(

Another thing I thought of: We've been doing part of our class outside on a nearby laneway and a long stretch of sad-looking grass. So no fertilizers or herbicides, I don't think. But it's in an industrial park and there's lots of manufacturing nearby. I suppose someone could be dumping chemicals.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Could even be both. My guess would be something she is swallowing, though, especially if she is not the only dog suffering. Poppy's tum was always made worse by stress, but it usually only lasted around 24 hours. Since she's been on a strictly controlled diet episodes have been fewer - but of course her life has been less stressful through lock down. I hope you find out the cause soon.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are any other dogs in the class showing the same symptoms?
Yep! Just mentioned that in response to Raindrops before I saw your question. One dog missed yesterday's class because she had such bad diarrhea after last week's class. Our trainer thought it might have been too much stress for her (another under-socialized covid puppy) so she told her to stay home and just do homework this week.

The previous week, a sweet poodle got sick the day after class and hasn't recovered. He hasn't been back. But Peggy was fine after the class he was in, so that might just be a coincidence. Maybe?

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could even be both. My guess would be something she is swallowing, though, especially if she is not the only dog suffering. Poppy's tum was always made worse by stress, but it usually only lasted around 24 hours. Since she's been on a strictly controlled diet episodes have been fewer - but of course her life has been less stressful through lock down. I hope you find out the cause soon.
That's what I was thinking, that stress upset would be fairly immediate and short lived. And Peggy was such a stressed puppy but never had diarrhea.

Sigh. She's such a stinky snoozing bundle right now. Breaks my heart.

I know how much you've felt this with Poppy. :( Sending hugs.

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
Poor you and poor Peggy. Cleaner could be a possibility. Suddenly eating a bunch of treats, as one does in training, is also a possibility. I know you said Peggy has a strong digestive system, but these things can change. Standard poodles are a bit more prone to allergies and autoimmune disorders than many other breeds.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Poor you and poor Peggy. Cleaner could be a possibility. Suddenly eating a bunch of treats, as one does in training, is also a possibility. I know you said Peggy has a strong digestive system, but these things can change. Standard poodles are a bit more prone to allergies and autoimmune disorders than many other breeds.
I definitely considered the training treats, but we've been pretty lazy with them lately, and she hasn't gotten anything special in class. But you're right - the volume is definitely higher. So maybe?

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I hope she's feeling better soon. Poor you and poor Peggy Sue.

It does sound like a chemical - I know that both my training clubs had huge discussions about which products would be safe to use around dogs.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry Peggy isn't feeling well. It sounds like it's chemicals. I wouldn't take Peggy back until it's been solved.
Our trainer said she hasn't been using any on the floor, but she did notice a dead patch of weeds where we've been walking. She's going to ask the groundskeeper if they were sprayed, and she asked if we'd get a fecal specimen from Peggy over to our vet. She wants to cover the cost.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) Peggy seems to be done for now, and my husband hosed down the yard this morning.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope she's feeling better soon. Poor you and poor Peggy Sue.

It does sound like a chemical - I know that both my training clubs had huge discussions about which products would be safe to use around dogs.
Our trainer thought maybe we put treats down on a table she disinfected right before class. We did use the table, but only for our treat bags. I can't imagine enough would transfer to our hands to make Peggy sick. Especially since that stuff dries so fast.

Someone also disinfected a clicker for us. But that was just at this week's class. Wouldn't explain last week.

She hasn't been disinfecting the floor.

I'm leaning towards something on the grounds. I wouldn't be surprised if someone sprayed and didn't put a sign up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The last time Fluffy had the poops like poor Peggy, one of our walking paths had just been sprayed with pesticides. It took me a bit to piece together our situation, as we haven’t had to deal with this before. I’d wager that’s what Peggy’s issue is.

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Aaww -poor Peggy. I hope that they get to the bottom of this soon. I'd ski\p classes until this is resolved.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The last time Fluffy had the poops like poor Peggy, one of our walking paths had just been sprayed with pesticides. It took me a bit to piece together our situation, as we haven’t had to deal with this before. I’d wager that’s what Peggy’s issue is.
Grrrrrr. That makes me SO MAD. And sad.

I wonder how many animals get treated needlessly each year for all sorts of possible ailments, possibly doing even more harm to their poor bodies, when it's actually pesticide exposure.

Glad Fluffy was okay.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts