Poodle Forum banner
1941 - 1960 of 2029 Posts

·
Administrator
14,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,941 ·
Oh Peggy. You give me such starry eyed hope. I love my girl, but it’ll be dreamy to spend time like that. Two more years to go 😂
I get it! There have been so many times we almost gave up on enjoying these outings with her. And we still have to be very careful if there are other dogs around, which means never 100% letting down our guard.

But yesterday we saw a huge leap forward in her ability to interact politely with exciting strangers. The one time she started to lose control, I saw her stop and give herself a good stress-busting shake. And then she was able to resume the interaction with all four paws on the ground. That’s the sort of impulse control that comes with maturity and consistent positive reinforcement, I think, neither of which can really be rushed.

Even the dog situation was okay yesterday, because everyone was being so respectful and maintaining reasonable distance. The parents of the toddler, on the other hand.... :rolleyes: That was the only situation that made me almost cut our time there short. They kept letting their very little guy run up to Peggy, and they didn’t so much as make eye contact with me to make sure it was okay. I just fed Peggy treats and spoke calmly to her, keeping her back to him.

·
Administrator
14,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,942 ·
Not too many Peggy pics lately, but here’s a quick one from bed yesterday, when she took a break from her nursing gig to give my husband a hug:

Dog Carnivore Door Dog breed Eyewear

I’ve been dislocating all over the place. Not sure if it’s a post-covid inflammation thing or what, but I’ve spent most of the past few days in bed or propped up in a chair with a bunch of pillows like a very sad princess. Luckily, Peggy knows when and how to lighten the mood.

·
Administrator
14,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,949 ·
Peggy met a bunch of my husband’s side of the family today—including three of our nieces—and she was a rockstar. :love: We congregated on a patio downtown and she just lounged in the middle of the action, smiling her big poodle smile and occasionally making the rounds for pets and kisses and to show off her tricks. I was so proud of her! I can’t believe I didn’t get any photos. But here’s one of her relaxing, post-fun:

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Wood

·
Administrator
14,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,953 ·
Today Peggy stayed home alone for a few hours while we did some sightseeing with more out-of-state visitors. This was our second time leaving her out of the crate, and she didn’t look too happy on our Ring camera. She pretty much just watched the door. :cry:

But....then it was over to the park for a big family picnic. A dozen adoring fans, a kid to throw sticks, AND sub sandwiches? Peggy says that more than made up for the day’s earlier woes.

Water Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog

·
Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
1,102 Posts
Today Peggy stayed home alone for a few hours while we did some sightseeing with more out-of-state visitors. This was our second time leaving her out of the crate, and she didn’t look too happy on our Ring camera. She pretty much just watched the door. :cry:

But....then it was over to the park for a big family picnic. A dozen adoring fans, a kid to throw sticks, AND sub sandwiches? Peggy says that more than made up for the day’s earlier woes.

View attachment 496300
Those cameras can be a curse. I stopped using ours to monitor Happy because I was checking on her every five minutes and feeling bad seeing her planted on the couch.

I'm sure Peggy gave you a pass for the couple hours alone after being invited to the big picnic.

·
Administrator
14,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,955 ·
Those cameras can be a curse. I stopped using ours to monitor Happy, because I was checking on her every five minutes and feeling bad seeing her planted on the couch.

I'm sure Peggy gave you a pass for the couple hours alone after being invited to the big picnic.
It’s really so hard on the heart! Once I see her settled on the couch or a bed, I think I’ll be more comfortable not checking in. In the crate, she would sleep so soundly until we got home, no watchfulness or anxiety at all. I am hoping this is just a transitional period and not the start of separation anxiety.

1941 - 1960 of 2029 Posts