Poodle Forum banner
1921 - 1940 of 1956 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,179 Posts
It's good to know that Peggy copes so well with travel and settles into a new place quickly - here's to many more, Covid-free, trips in the future!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Administrator
14,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,923 ·
It's good to know that Peggy copes so well with travel and settles into a new place quickly - here's to many more, Covid-free, trips in the future!
Thanks, @fjm! Overall, I’m very happy. Travelling sure does pose some big challenges with a reactive dog. But we problem solved and adapted, and instead of getting progressively more stressed, Peggy got more and more comfortable. So did we.

I learned a lot about reactivity by watching her on the balcony. Sometimes she could lounge and watch the world pass by right under us—dogs, bikes, kids, no problem. Other times she would alert to a pedestrian a block away! I always thought proximity was the decider, but there are so many more factors, and a lot of it comes down to her state of mind. I feel like I can read her a lot better now.

·
Administrator
14,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,925 ·
Packing up while feeling miserable was a challenge, but by the time we got to the ferry dock (for the 90-minute wait in the customs holding area!) my adrenaline kicked in and the rest of the day was—ha ha—smooth sailing.

Our very sleepy Peggy was an absolute joy:
Sky Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Vision care Eyewear Carnivore Dog breed

Sky Hood Azure Automotive tire Automotive design

Sky Dog Dog breed Vehicle door Carnivore

When we arrived home, we went straight to the backyard to see if my watering system had kept the garden alive through two heat waves. (Tomatoes and herbs, YES. Peas, sadly no.) Peggy disappeared into the darkness and went straight to her toy bucket, emerging moments later with a tennis ball. :LOL:

Pretty sure she was actually sleep-walking at that point, because as soon as we stepped inside and set her bed down in the chaos, she was out like a light:

Dog Black Comfort Carnivore Luggage and bags

Today the sleep continues:

Picture frame Dog Comfort Black Textile

I seriously can’t believe how quiet it is here. We acclimated to condo life more quickly and completely than I realized.

Welcome home, Peggy!

·
Administrator
14,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,929 ·
I don’t expect her hesitation will persist once we return home, but who knows. We’d planned to retire the crate a long time ago, but she just never wanted to give it up. Maybe this will be the end of an era. My last dog didn’t sleep in the crate as an adult.
After 6 weeks of sleeping in the human bed, Peggy decided tonight was the night to return to her old routine. After bedtime potty, she raced down the hall and disappeared into the darkness. We found her stretched out inside her crate, patiently waiting for her bedtime snack. :)

I guess we won’t be retiring it just yet.

·
Administrator
14,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,932 ·
Seeing Peggy cope so beautifully is inspiring because we know how hard you and your husband have worked to get her there. Good going to all of you!
Thanks, @Dianaleez :) Oddly enough, being in a building with so many other reactive dogs actually helped, I think. We were able to get over the shame and just focus on helping Peggy through each encounter.

·
Administrator
14,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,939 ·
My in-laws are here for a visit. After just one day, Peggy is POOPED.

Grey Snout Wool Close-up Font

She has matured so much since their last visit, a year ago, and was really such a pleasure to have around. We were able to spend hours catching up on a coffee shop patio, while Peggy alternated between lounging in the sun and showering besotted passers-by with love. One exclaimed, “She feels just like a carpet!

·
Registered
567 Posts
My in-laws are here for a visit. After just one day, Peggy is POOPED.

View attachment 496023

She has matured so much since their last visit, a year ago, and was really such a pleasure to have around. We were able to spend hours catching up on a coffee shop patio, while Peggy alternated between lounging in the sun and showering besotted passers-by with love. One exclaimed, “She feels just like a carpet!
Oh Peggy. You give me such starry eyed hope. I love my girl, but it’ll be dreamy to spend time like that. Two more years to go 😂

1921 - 1940 of 1956 Posts