Poodle Forum banner
1741 - 1760 of 1770 Posts

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,742 ·
This should really be an ad for wedge pillows:
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Comfort

Just had a lovely walk featuring squirrels overhead (very interesting!) and a yipping little Pomeranian (less interesting). We also made some more big progress with the elevator: Not only did Peggy take treats, she also sniffed around with interest! She didn’t even brace herself. And when she plopped down into a sit, it wasn’t that weird hunched sit. It was a can-I-have-some-cheese-please? sit. Hooray for Peggy!

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,743 ·
Thought your parents would be with you longer. Sure Peggy will miss them. Do get Princess Peggy her own wedge.
We sure wish they’d stuck around longer! But I’m glad we overlapped a little. And so grateful for this wonderful little home of theirs they’ve so generously offered to us in their absence.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,747 ·
This expert lounger is officially an elevator pro. Gives me hope for some of the reactivity stuff, seeing her realize that a VERY SCARY THING isn’t so scary after all.

Dog breed Felidae Dog Carnivore Comfort

In other news, we brought some dryer balls with us, as I figured they’d be quieter than regular toys. I’m very aware of having someone living below us here! Every little woof and hop and skitter makes me cringe.
Dog Carnivore Water dog Dog breed Collar

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,749 ·
The door slams are loud and frequent today. They literally rattle the walls and are generally followed by stomps down the hall and an elevator ding. Half the time this noise elicit a sharp bark, a quarter of the time just a closed-mouth boof, and the rest she either sleeps through or ignores.

Felidae Ear Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats Toy

What absolutely makes it worse is getting angry or even uttering a stern NO. What makes it better is playing games with her and keeping the mood light.

Do we always have the energy for the latter? Nope. So most of the time we strive for some sort of middle ground, just gritting our teeth and staying calm, even when she jangles our nerves.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,750 ·
When the world is a bit too much....

Comfort Textile Sleeve Gesture Grey

Actually, Peggy was quite impressive tonight. My husband was taking her down for her bedtime potty walk, which is always a little daunting as every other dog in the building also needs to go for their bedtime potty walk.

As the elevator descended—uh oh—the doors slid open a couple of floors before the lobby, and there stood a woman with her dog.

o_O

My husband, fully expecting Peggy to lose her mind, quickly stepped off the elevator and told the woman they could have it to themselves. But instead of reacting, Peggy stole a small, relaxed sniff as they walked past, and happily followed my husband to the stairwell.

¯\(ツ)

They encountered the same duo on their way back up, and, again, all was fine. What an enigma our poodle is.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,753 ·
(For anyone reading this who may wish to attempt travelling with their reactive dog: I can’t stress enough how important it is to facilitate ample rest time/processing time/decompression time. And it’s not always easy, especially if you have loads of things you’d like to see and do on your trip. Do you have the time and energy to acclimate your dog to their new nap place? If not, they may be better off in the comfort of their own home with a dogsitter.)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,755 ·
We spent the evening at the beach:

Water Sky Ecoregion People in nature Natural environment

Cloud Sky People in nature Freezing Tree

Cloud Sky Water People in nature Tree
Sky Cloud Dog Carnivore Dog breed

Most of the dogs there were off-leash, and they were all around us, just doing their own thing. We were able to recall Peggy twice when a lab playing fetch caught her eye. After that, we decided not to push our luck and brought her in close to enjoy the peacefulness:
Dog Water Azure Sky Dog breed
Water Sky Water resources Cloud Mountain
Water Gesture Asphalt Road surface Tints and shades

The biggest challenge was explaining to Peggy that a girl tossing sticks into the water wasn’t tossing them for her. (How rude! -Peggy.)

Water Sky Dog Carnivore Dog breed

After all that sandy fun, Peggy wolfed down dinner and crashed hard on the couch. But when it was time for bed, she didn’t settle as usual in her crate so my husband let her out. Urrrggghhh. I came out from brushing my teeth and there she was, just lounging on the bed like that’s where she’d decided to sleep tonight.

I got her a scoop of kibble and repeated her bedtime crate routine. So far, so good.🤞

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I’m so jealous! We need to move somewhere cooler… if only we could convince the family to move! I’m almost 40 and still can’t leave my momma.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,760 ·
I’m so jealous! We need to move somewhere cooler… if only we could convince the family to move! I’m almost 40 and still can’t leave my momma.
I get it! I hate being so far from family. I am very lucky that my parents ended up moving out here, but it took close to 8 years. Now they feel as strongly as I do: No more extreme temperatures!

We originally ended up here because my Wisconsin-bred husband can’t stand the snow. But we quickly realized it’s the mild summers that make it so perfect for us (minus the horrific wildfire smoke we’ve occasionally endured).

1741 - 1760 of 1770 Posts