Poodle Forum banner
1721 - 1740 of 1770 Posts

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,721 ·
I'm glad the core group of humans is the same even if the environment is different. She's not trying to process new people in her personal space along with a new personal space.
Yes, that definitely helps. And seeing her so happy with my parents is alleviating my guilt a little. I think some dogs can really enjoy travelling. Peggy’s just not one of them.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,723 ·
Visited a couple of parks and then parked ourselves on the patio at A&W for some hamburgers.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Road surface

Peggy made friends with the cashier who showered her with a new delicacy: Milk Bones. I’m usually a little pickier about what strangers feed her, but given the circumstances, I felt the potential digestive upset was worth all the happy attention. Plus, Peggy loved them. ¯\(ツ)/¯ And the cashier loved how soft she was.

Now we rest.

Military camouflage Dog breed Carnivore Thigh Grey

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Oliver actually does really great with his teeny peanut butter flavored Milkbones. They are an occasional treat and do not bother his tummy.

Wishing the same success for you!

So glad you have traveled home. I really need a getaway, but again this year will enjoy one vicariously. So thank you 😊 💓.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,726 ·
Peggy is such a good girl ! I hope you have nice weather in Vancouver. In my area we’ve been having tornados and flooding lately. Stay safe and have a good time with your family !
The weather out east sure does look wild! Stay safe, Dechi. I think I’d really be struggling with my migraines if I were still in Ontario.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,727 ·
A very full day for a Peggy!

We met my parents for a picnic and had dogs and children coming at us in all directions. Some dogs upset Peggy. Others she desperately wanted to play with. And still others she ignored. I’ve been trying to figure out the common denominators, but it’s tricky. She definitely doesn’t seem to like dogs who just stand and stare. (Frankly, I don’t either. They give me the creeps!) The yapping pair of Jack Russells, on the other hand, she couldn’t have cared less about. And the fluffy spitzy guy, who was getting his paws wiped in the parking lot, had her in full play mode.

We helped her burn off a little of that energy:

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion People in nature

Cloud Sky Plant People in nature Natural landscape

Until she settled down, exhausted, with my dad:

Dog Dog breed Water dog Carnivore Shorts

A few hours—and a dozen activities later—we made our way back to our temporary home. I put a crackling fire on the TV, cranked up the AC, and within minutes....

Dog Carnivore Collar Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Grey

Goodnight, Peggy. Good job today.

P.S. Our progress with the elevator has been slow but steady. She willingly walks into it, plops down into a sit, and doesn’t budge again until the doors open. I’m not sure why she started sitting, but I’m happy to let her do whatever makes her feel better. She still won’t take treats in there, so that’s our goal for this trip.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was going to ask you if Peggy was handling the elevator better this trip, so thanks for posting the update. I'm hoping that before the end or your visit, Peggy will feel comfortable enough to take treats while in the elevator.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,729 ·
I was going to ask you if Peggy was handling the elevator better this trip, so thanks for posting the update. I'm hoping that before the end or your visit, Peggy will feel comfortable enough to take treats while in the elevator.
Thank you. :) I was worried she’d think,”Oh no! Not this again!” and refuse to go in at all. But she was quite stoic about it, marching in solemnly and then plunking into that strange sit (despite never having been asked to sit in there).

There’s only one elevator in the building, so we can’t really monopolize it for practising. And we’re always on somewhat high alert, in case the doors slide open and there’s a dog standing there. But I’m going to start carrying a special treat that is produced only on the elevator.

If she doesn’t eat it, oh well. It can go away until next time. What I won’t do is start rewarding her for getting off. The last thing I want is her rushing the doors.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My husband was just taking Peggy out for a walk and stuck his head back in the door to say, “Oh, by the way, she took a treat in the elevator last night.

Just a boring old piece of Tylee’s chicken jerky!

Guess we need a new goal. :)

Here’s a photo from their walk:

View attachment 493687
Hurray!!! Way to go Peggy! What's next?!

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,734 ·
Well that didn't take long! So happy that Peggy seems a lot calmer this visit than the first time you went to Vancouver.
I’m happy, too. I wasn’t sure if we’d be building on our last trip’s progress, starting from scratch, or worse.

She’s still extremely reactive to most dogs we encounter (thanks to being attacked multiple times as an adolescent), and while that’s not really specific to travel, it certainly complicates things.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,736 ·
We did our best to help Peggy catch up on her sleep today:
Hand Arm Glove Comfort Human body

And then it was off to my parents’ campsite to celebrate Father’s Day and bid them farewell for the summer. They’re headed to Ontario to visit with family, while we continue to enjoy their home on Vancouver Island.

Peggy was thrilled with her new Kong tennis balls:
Wheel Tire Dog Collar Carnivore

She’s going to be looking for my parents for a while, I think. So I’ll have to keep the fun stuff coming.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,738 ·
Peggy absolutely loves this wedge pillow! I’ve got it tucked into the corner of the couch right now, and she alternates between using it as a pillow and using it as a bed. If I’m ever rude enough to be using it when she’s in the mood to relax, she gently places a paw on it and stares at me. I might have to get her one for Christmas.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Grey

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Grey

1721 - 1740 of 1770 Posts