Poodle Forum banner
1701 - 1720 of 1770 Posts

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,858 Posts
I was sitting on the couch, talking to my husband, when something caught his eye. “Do you want to know what’s doing on directly behind you right now?” he asked. And then he aimed his phone just past me and snapped me this photo.

View attachment 493456
There's one of them three legged poodles again!

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,714 ·
Waiting in line for the ferry and our already exhausted Peggy is being MEGA dog reactive, lunging and barking, even from a distance. With people she’s doing fine, thank goodness. Just hope we can keep our distance from any canines on the crossing. Then it’s on to our heavily dog-populated accommodations... o_O
Dog Car Dog breed Carnivore Grey
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grey Companion dog

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,716 ·
There were a lot of dogs on the ferry, but we did okay. Better than okay, really. Even when there was a major traffic jam returning to the car deck, and we were squished in tight amongst dozens of strangers and a Great Pyrenees, shuffling slowly down an enclosed staircase, while a parent let their toddler take each of the gazillion stairs one....painstaking.....step.......at......a........time......... :LOL:

Dog Sky Blue Cloud Collar

Dog Blue Carnivore Collar Dog breed

I’m still slightly baffled by how well she does on the big rumbly ferry. I’ve seen dogs petrified on that boat, but she acts like it’s the most normal thing in the world.

We spent most of our time just lounging (note the crossed paws!) but she also met a ton of people and went through her evening training routine a few times on the deck. One thing I didn’t fully appreciate in the moment was just how focused she was on me while we went through her familiar paces in such an unfamiliar environment. So many strange sensations, sounds, smells, and sights.

Had some company out there on the water:
Cloud Water Sky Boat Blue

Arriving in Canada:
Cloud Sky Boat Dog Watercraft

Customs is drive-thru style, and I think Peggy was a little disappointed the border agent didn’t have a puppuccino for her. Then it was over to my parents’ campsite to say hi (Peggy was thrilled to see her friends!), and on to our temporary home:

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grey Companion dog

Unlike the last time we stayed at my parents’ condo, Peggy went straight into her crate after evening toilet time. Our first visit, it took her at least three nights to get comfortable enough to do that evening routine.

I served her her usual quarter cup of bedtime Honest Kitchen, draped a blanket over the crate, and then held my breath, waiting for that familiar crunch, knowing she wouldn’t eat if she was stressed.

Nothing.

:(

So my husband got into bed and made some familiar night sounds: Fluffed the pillow. Stretched out. Yawned a bit. Rolled over, creaking the bed.

And from the crate....

Crunch, crunch, crunch.”

All was right in Peggy’s world. :)

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,717 ·
Learning to look—but not speak—at the many, many passersby:

Dog Sky Tree Carnivore Window

My last dog was born and raised in the bustle of a big city. Peggy is a country girl, through and through. I will say that it’s much easier to introduce a city dog to the country than vice versa. But Peggy does seem to be relaxing a little more quickly this second time around. As I type this, she’s curling up for her morning nap, albeit with one eye still on the street below.

1701 - 1720 of 1770 Posts