Poodle Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1270 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Nice job! Annie's topknot looks far worse right now. I think blended topknots are a lot easier to scissor than the rounded helmet type. Let me know if you ever figure then out - I haven't.

As for tail - that's the fastest thing to scissor IMO. Comb tail fur to the end of the tail. Hold onto the end of the tail with your hand, like squeezing a bike handle, with the end of the tail itself inside your hand, protected to flatten the fur. Clip the fur straight across at the edge of your hand 'guard'.

Then comb the fur backwards to the shaved area, flatten it again with one hand about half an inch past the end of the shaved part. Using straights, cut a line around the edge of the tail, at the edge of your hand guard. Fluff tail up again, then use curves on anything obviously weird that you missed.

Voila! Shortened tail that's a nice round ball. Every time I try to do it by eyeballing, it just gets weirder and weirder looking.

·
Administrator
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,224 ·
How's Peggy managing the cold?
The fluff has definitely helped. No curling up in a tight ball inside, not even when we had snow, record lows, AND a broken furnace in December.

Now we’re back to more normal winter temperatures for this region (high 40s/low 50s) so maybe she doesn’t need quite so much hair. Her ears especially don’t need to be so heavy. They look adorable like that, but I worry about air flow.

·
Administrator
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,225 ·
Nice job! Annie's topknot looks far worse right now. I think blended topknots are a lot easier to scissor than the rounded helmet type. Let me know if you ever figure then out - I haven't.

As for tail - that's the fastest thing to scissor IMO. Comb tail fur to the end of the tail. Hold onto the end of the tail with your hand, like squeezing a bike handle, with the end of the tail itself inside your hand, protected to flatten the fur. Clip the fur straight across at the edge of your hand 'guard'.

Then comb the fur backwards to the shaved area, flatten it again with one hand about half an inch past the end of the shaved part. Using straights, cut a line around the edge of the tail, at the edge of your hand guard. Fluff tail up again, then use curves on anything obviously weird that you missed.

Voila! Shortened tail that's a nice round ball. Every time I try to do it by eyeballing, it just gets weirder and weirder looking.
THIS IS SO HELPFUL. Thank you!! Bookmarked. :)

I was honestly shocked at how much hair she had at the end of her tail. I lopped it right off.....and then realized our groomer probably left it like that for balance, because Peggy’s dock is too short. Oops. I will need to prepare an apology ahead of our January 29th appointment.

·
Administrator
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,238 ·
Peggy fell madly in love with a spoon today. It was sitting on a low table next to me and she stared at it for ages. I could see the conflict. She knew she wasn’t supposed to take it, but it was right at nose level. And although it looked clean, it smelled tantalizingly of my lunch.

She sniffed the air around it and then leaned in for a lick before stopping herself at the last second. She did the same thing from another angle. She looked at me. She looked back at the spoon. Abruptly she stood up and disappeared around the corner.

Moments later, I heard rustling from the bedroom, followed by a rapid trot down the hall. She reappeared with the book I’ve been reading, held oh-so-carefully in her soft poodle mouth.

She placed it in my hand.

Dog Water dog Dog breed Publication Carnivore

What’s a human to do??? I let her lick the dang spoon. :LOL:

Hair Dog breed Black Water dog Carnivore

1221 - 1240 of 1270 Posts