Poodle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Yeah, I would say that my home life is pretty relaxed, I think the most exciting thing that happens is when my cats are running around. When I first got him seemed so chill, but one of my cats jumped on him while I was playing a video game and I got scared from it and screamed and she jumped on him and she did it a few more times after that when I would scream, she stopped after 3 or 4 times after that because I had to dump a glass of water on her when she did it the last time.

He didn't have any training while I was sick and it was a long time until I was okay again and ready to train him. Could this have left a negative impact on him?
A lapse in training is unfortunate, but poodles are smart and dogs are resilient. I would say that your screaming, plus a cat attacking him, plus the water glass thing might have left a bigger mark. That's a lot, especially for a poodle.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
expand...
I bet it's hard to remember sometimes that he's still growing up. When I think about the way I behaved in my late teens, I'm rather humiliated. I had moments of adultness, but also moments in which my brain absolutely turned off.

IT IS!!! That's okay, I'm rather humiliated with the way I acted when I was a kid.

In a dog that's not yet reached maturity, it really is like they react sometimes without thinking. I find it's best to focus on the progress, ignore the momentary lapses as much as possible, and calmly resume routine.

Okay😎 thank you!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A lapse in training is unfortunate, but poodles are smart and dogs are resilient. I would say that your screaming, plus a cat attacking him, plus the water glass thing might have left a bigger mark. That's a lot, especially for a poodle.
Yeah😓 it happened while he was still a Landshark (puppy) he had jumped up and ran when I screamed and got up, and that's when my cat jumped on. the water was the only thing that got her off of Sisko😓 He doesn't get scared now when I scream, but I worry about my cat jumping on him still. She just doesn't seem to like when I get upset or excited. I think it's because it reminds her of when our Aussie passed away.

Sisko has always barked and got excited and jumped when my family and I play fight or the cats are playing.

I'm sorry, I hijacked your thread for a little bit😳

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Ha! I don't mind at all. I'm always here for a chat. :)

The way you describe your anxiety around Sisko's behaviour actually reminds me a lot of how I felt in those early days with Peggy. And it can still occasionally flare up. I wonder if it's partly to do with the grief of losing our past dogs. It's very hard to go from a dog that you know inside out—who knows you so well, too—to a furry little stranger. And both of us are new to spoos. There's definitely a learning curve.

One thing I consistently notice in our classes is people asking the trainer, "Is this normal? Is this normal? What about this? Normal?"

We're definitely not alone with these feelings! But it seems like you don't always have your family's support when it comes to training, socializing, and just generally loving Sisko. That can be really hard. So good thing you've got Poodle Forum. :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ha! I don't mind at all. I'm always here for a chat. :)

The way you describe your anxiety around Sisko's behaviour actually reminds me a lot of how I felt in those early days with Peggy. And it can still occasionally flare up. I wonder if it's partly to do with the grief of losing our past dogs. It's very hard to go from a dog that you know inside out—who knows you so well, too—to a furry little stranger. And both of us are new to spoos. There's definitely a learning curve.

One thing I consistently notice in our classes is people asking the trainer, "Is this normal? Is this normal? What about this? Normal?"

We're definitely not alone with these feelings! But it seems like you don't always have your family's support when it comes to training, socializing, and just generally loving Sisko. That can be really hard. So good thing you've got Poodle Forum. :)
Thank you😭 so much😭!!!!!

Yeah! I think it does have something partly to do with grief of loosing our past dogs. Yes, it is!!!!! It's very hard!!!

Okay, I need to stop doing that!!!

I'm so glad we're not the only ones!! No, I don't and that hurts more than I can say. When we first got him, he was supposed to be a family dog, and I tried to get everyone on board with training, and they were like: okay that's nice and pretty much ignored it, and thought (maybe that it was foolish, but Sisko and I did great) It shouldn't have been like that at all. This is one of the most disappointing letdowns I have ever had happen. They really could have trained him while I was sick. Dax would have be disappointed too. I have to say, thank you, so much!! You guys have been so kind to me and I'm very happy to be a member of PF. It's funny, but my youngest brother helps with Sisko a good bit. My mom has been doing a bit more with him too.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
It's funny, but my youngest brother helps with Sisko a good bit. My mom has been doing a bit more with him too.
This is wonderful news. 💛

With Gracie, it was just me and her for 8 years until I met my husband. While it was challenging not having any backup, it was overall much easier being her sole trainer and companion. Our bond was fierce and she benefitted from the consistency.

It's definitely important that the whole household be on the same page...but not always possible. Just keep doing your best and I hope to hear some more good news from you soon!

101 - 120 of 133 Posts