Poodle Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1078 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Can someone explain to Peggy why it was rude to leave a piece of chicken in my slipper?
I had no success explaining to a greyhound that under my pillow was not the place to store the sweet rolls she stole. So I doubt Peggy will agree that your slipper is not a good place to store chicken.

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
I hate that we can’t protect her from all the unpredictability around here.
Many of the encounters you describe would take even unflappable dogs aback. Try not to be so hard on yourself for not doing the impossible :).

she was peeing and an unleashed dog came running out of nowhere and started barking in her face.
my husband opened the door to the lobby and they came face-to-face with two huge barking dogs
The important thing is that she seems to be reacting less to the individual incidents and dogs, and is reclaiming her calm after the incident.

It's only just over a week for her, for this barrage of new and not always pleasant experiences. I think she's doing really well.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,044 ·
Many of the encounters you describe would take even unflappable dogs aback. Try not to be so hard on yourself for not doing the impossible :).

The important thing is that she seems to be reacting less to the individual incidents and dogs, and is reclaiming her calm after the incident.

It's only just over a week for her, for this barrage of new and not always pleasant experiences. I think she's doing really well.
Love your reminders, Rose. Thank you. I shared this post with my husband, to help him keep things in perspective.

No question, this trip is going a thousand times better than we hoped.

·
Premium Member
14,178 Posts
Peggy is doing so amazingly well on this trip. It would be impressive in any dog her age, but is especially so in a dog that has had Covid restrictions in place through so many of her formative months. You've done a wonderful job, all three of you!

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,050 ·
Eight years ago, my husband bought a little Kong pig for Gracie in Morro Bay, California. She was never very interested in it, so we donated it to her “brother” (my parents’ dog) Tucker. Tucker eventually passed away and the pig got tucked away in a cupboard.

Last night, Peggy found it.

It was love at first sight. :)

Dog Dog breed Dog supply Toy Carnivore

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,051 · (Edited)
Peggy had a wonderful afternoon at the park. There were dogs—both leashed and off-leash—coming from alllllll directions, and her social skills were top notch. She even had a play session with a doodle. There was no growling. No frantic barking. No reactivity at all. Just a very happy poodle. And she had no trouble chilling out quietly while we enjoyed a picnic lunch.

Water Cloud Sky Plant Lake

Water Sky Dog Plant Carnivore

Food Tableware Table Furniture Sharing

Then it was back to my parents’ trailer to warm up with some coffee and pie.

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Water dog Mammal

Photograph Table Fashion Textile Wood

The neatest part of today was how she showed off all the skills we worked on in her puppy and adolescent classes, and in her weekly play group. When she saw a dog she desperately wanted to meet, she plopped into a sit. We had no trouble recalling her from play. It’s like everything just clicked.

Amazing what she’s capable of when her brain isn’t fried with cortisol.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
No one could ask for better than this, and clearly, sweet Peggy is enjoying her holiday 😄😀😊💞💓🤩!!! Could I please ask what are those delicious looking things you all were eating during your picnic today?

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,053 ·
No one could ask for better than this, and clearly, sweet Peggy is enjoying her holiday 😄😀😊💞💓🤩!!! Could I please ask what are those delicious looking things you all were eating during your picnic today?
Caribbean Roti! My absolute favourite. :love: And I agree, Peggy really is enjoying her holiday now. I’m prepared for more setbacks, but I can tell she loves being part of a bigger pack.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
Thank you 😊! I had to look up Caribbean Roti, and now I need some 😋!

It's great how at ease Peggy is with another pup around.
I had sooooo many roti options in the Toronto area. It’s one of the things I miss most. Indian roti is also incredible. Sadly, my favourite Caribbean and Indian roti shops have closed down in the years since I moved away. I like to think they’re still there waiting for me. :cry:

And yes, it really is great! I loved watching her play so joyously with that doodle yesterday. And she seems to really like sitting with my parents’ little dog, Molly, even if she doesn’t understand why Molly won’t play with her.

We’ve been so focused on managing her reactivity around the apartment building, we almost forgot how dog social she is. That’s something we invested a lot of time into as she was growing up.

1041 - 1060 of 1078 Posts