Poodle Forum banner

481 - 500 of 509 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,718 Posts
I read a thread on adolescence before seeing these pics, and the combo reminded me that Mia had a falling out with her childhood BFF beginning around age 2-3. They had been fast friends since Mia was about 5 or 7 months old (Gabi was 2 months older), but their relationship changed in the later stages of puberty. Gabi took on a very submissive personality (I don't like using the S word, but it's a familiar expression) and Mia became a more typically selective female with eyes for Gabi's hunky older brother (alas, there would be no porti-poos). I bring this up because I know you're concerned about Peggy's spay, and if she and her friends go through similar changes, you might mistakenly attribute the results to the spay instead of maturation.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What did the trainer say about the offleash dog situation? Or am I confused about who you where going to ask?..

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
What did the trainer say about the offleash dog situation? Or am I confused about who you where going to ask?..
Yes, we chatted with Peggy’s trainer and she was super helpful. She has personal experience with those dogs and was able to provide some good insight. I’m not going to share it publicly, out of respect for her. But thankfully Peggy is so far doing okay. Yesterday’s playdate was very chill. She’s been on edge lately, but I think that’s hormonal. About 8 weeks after each heat, she seems to get a little weird. Like, she barked at a horse she’s seen a million times before.

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
I read a thread on adolescence before seeing these pics, and the combo reminded me that Mia had a falling out with her childhood BFF beginning around age 2-3. They had been fast friends since Mia was about 5 or 7 months old (Gabi was 2 months older), but their relationship changed in the later stages of puberty. Gabi took on a very submissive personality (I don't like using the S word, but it's a familiar expression) and Mia became a more typically selective female with eyes for Gabi's hunky older brother (alas, there would be no porti-poos). I bring this up because I know you're concerned about Peggy's spay, and if she and her friends go through similar changes, you might mistakenly attribute the results to the spay instead of maturation.
Since the early days of their friendship, our trainer has been warning us this may eventually happen. I so hope it doesn’t! They do usually have some handsome gentlemen playing with them, too, and lately the Briard seems a little more interested in one of them. Peggy’s first heartbreak. Lol.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,718 Posts
I found that as they aged, they got along better during more directed fun. We put an end to the free-for-alls in the yard in favor of pack walks and trips to the beach.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
8-9 weeks = pseudo-puppies due. Sophy has been very clingy, and slightly off colour - she is at about the same stage and is now lactating. Fortunately it doesn't last long with her, and plenty of good walks and exercise seem to be the best treatment.

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
8-9 weeks = pseudo-puppies due. Sophy has been very clingy, and slightly off colour - she is at about the same stage and is now lactating. Fortunately it doesn't last long with her, and plenty of good walks and exercise seem to be the best treatment.
I’ve yet to notice any lactating. Does that happen every time with Sophy?

I’m glad we keep daily notes, as I was able to flip back to 8 weeks after her last heat and connect the dots. Otherwise I’d have thought she was losing her mind! Last time it was a stuffed toy causing her anxiety. Today she was actually tucking her tennis ball in under her belly mid-play session. She then moved on to a sock, carrying it around so delicately and anxiously nudging it into my hand. If I touched it she instantly dropped it, rather than engaging in her usual game of tug. She did the same thing 6 months ago with a stuffed toy. And she has no appetite at all.

It got really weird during her bedtime potty stroll. She kept looking up suddenly and then flinching, as though she was seeing terrifying things in the darkness. I hurried her straight to bed after so she could be in the comforting safety of her crate. Haven’t heard a peep since, thank goodness. Can’t imagine what she must be feeling like.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Yes, Sophy has quite realistic phantom pregnancies, including milk every time. I watch her very carefully for pyo or mastitis, but the worst that has happened so far is dried milk making uncomfortable clots in her fur, which is easily sorted with a sponge and warm water. I hope Peggy gets over her phantom puppies and night time scaries quickly.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
I love lounging in the sun with a poodle. Today she learned that a closed mouth “woofwoof” is okay when people walk by our fence, but a hysterical “ROOFROOFROOF” is not. She’ll probably have to learn this again tomorrow. And the day after that....

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
Today I played “sock puppet” for the first time with Peggy, and her response was so cute. She seemed very serious about wanting the sock off my hand, but she didn’t want to hurt me. So she gave it tiny little corn-cob nibbles, trying as hard as she could not to pinch my flesh through the fabric:

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
The new screeching in my ear got me up and out of bed early this morning. (Someone. Please. Find a cure for tinnitus.) A hug from my husband helped, but seeing this spotted joy come galloping down the hall towards me split my face into the hugest grin as tears streamed down my cheeks. She gave me her patented morning hug, letting me have a moment longer than usual, and then okay, shake it off! Let’s go outside and greet the day!

3701AC3B-F41D-46D5-B705-52A25A8017EE.jpeg

As I type this she’s curled tight into my back, full of breakfast and snoring like the past hour was all just a dream. If I decide to go back to bed, she’ll come with me. If I choose adventure instead, she’ll be right there at my side. Thank God for poodles.

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
We were blown away by how relaxed Peggy was this morning while we enjoyed pastry and coffee at a picnic table in the sunshine. But don’t worry. Moments later, she barked at three people in a row, and then a dog. All is right in the universe.

Falling asleep:

Haha just kidding:

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
459 Posts
It sure looks like they had fun! Was getting into the kiddie pool their own idea, or did they get coaxed in? And I love that last picture of them relaxing together under the magnolia tree!

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
It sure looks like they had fun! Was getting into the kiddie pool their own idea, or did they get coaxed in? And I love that last picture of them relaxing together under the magnolia tree!
100% their idea. I had to keep emptying and refilling it because they would play in the mucky grass and then go for a refreshing dip.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
459 Posts
I think I may need a kiddie pool. I don't know where I'd put it though where it wouldn't kill some grass or flowers. I do have a stone patio where the gas grill is. I'll find a place.

481 - 500 of 509 Posts