Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this?

Her heat hormones are making her crazy, and she chewed at her diaper the other day while trying to lick herself. But tonight while I was making dinner she actually ate a good chunk of it, trying to reach her swollen vulva.

She ate dinner normally after. Had a normal amount of water. Played. Pooped fine.

She's been panting for the last hour and acting a little restless, which isn't especially worrisome on its own, since she's in heat. But we don't have an emergency vet here, so I get extremely on edge when something like this happens.

It was the back of one of these, so not especially bulky:

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No helpful advice to give. Just hoping it passes through fine! She is good at eating inedibles...
And yet so particular about them! Stuffing, scrunchies, and paper napkins are her idea of fine dining. And clumps of mowed grass for dessert. Lol. Everything else gets a big "meh."

She drank double her normal bedtime water, but so far seems fine. Fingers crossed. It's the absorbent stuff that worries me.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I just did a quick search for "poodle ate diaper" on a couple of sites I think have good info. What I've seen so far suggests that the absorbent part isn't toxic (so yay).

How much of it did she manage? A couple of square inches? The amount of absorbent material is your primary concern.

I know you'll be on the phone to your vet in the AM.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
At the risk of TMI ... one of Mia's favorite snacks is human sanitary items. Obviously we do everything possible to keep her out of the bathroom garbage, but mistakes have happened over the years. She passes them just fine. In fact, if you can have a sense of humor about this, it's a bit funny how the tampons, which she eats whole, come out totally clean. The power of the digestive tract of a carnivore is such that it absorbs the blood right out of the tampon, then passes the tampon perfectly clean (and slightly compressed), as if ready for re-use.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
The problem with human diapers is they are made to retain fluids and they bulk up to do so. I would be afraid the little piece would become a bigger piece once inside the stomach, where there are fluids.

Have you though about using doggy protection instead of diapers ? The one Beckie wore were really nice, with a hole for the tail, discreet, and you could add a sanitary napkin to it to contain the blood. If she wanted to, Peggy would have access to licking through the sides, she wouldn’t have to destroy it. And it would prevent the mess.

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
Generally when Lily has (many times) eaten these sorts of inappropriate things our vet has advised more frequent small meals and as much water as possible to move things along. I hope it all works its way along with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did a quick search for "poodle ate diaper" on a couple of sites I think have good info. What I've seen so far suggests that the absorbent part isn't toxic (so yay).

How much of it did she manage? A couple of square inches? The amount of absorbent material is your primary concern.

I know you'll be on the phone to your vet in the AM.
She ate the bulk of the absorbent material, but just shredded the plasticky part.

I made the mistake of googling it last night, which led me to a scary article about a dog eating a diaper, vomiting, and dying while the owners slept. So I slept on the couch by her crate to be safe.

She's fine this morning, which is good because we have no weekend vet here. Can't believe no one's stepped up to fill that need!

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Generally when Lily has (many times) eaten these sorts of inappropriate things our vet has advised more frequent small meals and as much water as possible to move things along. I hope it all works its way along with no problems.
That's helpful. Thank you! She was definitely drinking a lot last night. Things seem to be moving along okay.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem with human diapers is they are made to retain fluids and they bulk up to do so. I would be afraid the little piece would become a bigger piece once inside the stomach, where there are fluids.

Have you though about using doggy protection instead of diapers ? The one Beckie wore were really nice, with a hole for the tail, discreet, and you could add a sanitary napkin to it to contain the blood. If she wanted to, Peggy would have access to licking through the sides, she wouldn’t have to destroy it. And it would prevent the mess.
That was my concern, too. But these are nighttime pull-ups for older children, and don't seem to have as much absorbent material. More like the equivalent of a bulky sanitary pad.

I've tried reusable doggy diapers, but the tail hole didn't come close to lining up.

I'm going to be more diligent about only letting her wear one while supervised. I was much more careful the first time around, but she never showed any interest in chewing it so I think I got a little too relaxed.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At the risk of TMI ... one of Mia's favorite snacks is human sanitary items. Obviously we do everything possible to keep her out of the bathroom garbage, but mistakes have happened over the years. She passes them just fine. In fact, if you can have a sense of humor about this, it's a bit funny how the tampons, which she eats whole, come out totally clean. The power of the digestive tract of a carnivore is such that it absorbs the blood right out of the tampon, then passes the tampon perfectly clean (and slightly compressed), as if ready for re-use.
My last girl had a thing for tampons. I've so far managed to keep them out of Peggy's reach, but I suspect she'd consider them the perfect snack. Uggghhhhh. Dogs really are spectacularly icky.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Watch out for dry heaves. That's how I could tell I was going to spend another holiday evening at the emergency vet with my insane plastic obsessed Maine Coon cat. Yay for barium imaging. :rolleyes:
Thanks, cowpony. For such intelligent creatures, these animals of ours sure do make some questionable choices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bo ate a white handkerchief unbeknown to us. He threw it up and I thought it was his intestine. Rolled 1/2 inch, 10 inches long and covered with slime! He didn't even choke. I know how lucky we were it didn't twist inside.
20200820_143154.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts