Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my spoo Princess has had trouble with peeing. Few nights ago she got off my bed and left a large pee stain. I thought maybe I’d missed a signal from her to go out. But today I noticed a couple small spots on the carpet and then on the couch. I think this is occurring during sleep and maybe she’s not noticing it. I’m very concerned and wondered what you thought. She’s 9 years old , her weight is stable at 53 lbs and has been for a long time. She eats well and her poo looks good. When she pees though, sometimes she takes awhile to finish. She also drinks a lot of water and has for years. Please let me know.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was November of 2019. Nothing unusual at that time. I thought UTI also. I started her on Flagyl this afternoon. I’m going to get her into see the vet

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was November of 2019. Nothing unusual at that time. I thought UTI also. I started her on Flagyl this afternoon. I’m going to get her into see the vet. I think this has been going unnoticed by me for too long

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
Cushings leaps to mind here, too - I would certainly want blood tests to rule it out.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
She doesn't need flaygl. That would help with diarrhea not urinary incontinence. You should take her to see the vet as it could simply be a uti or she could possible just have urinary incontinence if it continues. They do have a medication, "proin" which will help if it is incontinence. We once had a older cairn terrier rescue and we had to have her on it, it only would happen when she slept.

·
Premium Member
23,790 Posts
Take her to the vet. This is not normal and you shouldn't be medicating her without really knowing what is happening. Mufar is correct flagyl would not do anything for a UTI. It is for GI parasites.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
372 Posts
Let us know what you find out. Diabetes comes to mind for me as our last dog Moose was diagnosed with it and sudden urinary incontinence was why we brought him to the vet. Hopefully, it’s just an easily treatable UTI.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m just hoping the vet figures something out. She’s seeing the vet this morning. Unfortunately I can’t be there when he examines her given the COVID-19 protocols. If it is a UTI I’m guessing a urinalysis would be necessary? I’m also concerned about her kidney function. Maybe a full blood panel would also be appropriate? What other tests would be recommended given her issues?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Urinary incontinence after sleeping is common in elderly spayed dogs, but honestly it could be anything from a UTI to canine dementia. I think they would likely do a urinalysis if they suspected a UTI. I would go ahead with the bloodwork, since she’s almost due for another one anyways. Hopefully it’s a quick fix.

·
Super Moderator
7,105 Posts
I think we've discussed before that I feel an x-ray and full bloodwork are warranted, given the symptoms you've shared in recent months. I seem to recall you didn't have much faith in your vet, though. Hoping you've been able to find one who's a little more thorough.

Finding good support for our senior pets is important. The sooner the better.

Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. It really stinks not being able to go in with them. In another thread, some members mentioned that they type out a list of questions/concerns and send it in with their poodle.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Urinary incontinence after sleeping is common in elderly spayed dogs, but honestly it could be anything from a UTI to canine dementia. I think they would likely do a urinalysis if they suspected a UTI. I would go ahead with the bloodwork, since she’s almost due for another one anyways. Hopefully it’s a quick fix.
Just got back from the vet and the news is good. They did a urinalysis, results were excellent. And a ultrasound which showed no issues. So no UTI or kidney issues. The vet felt she needed hormone replacement therapy for her urinary incontinence. So he prescribed DES 1mg (synthetic hormone) and will follow up in 2 weeks. She also had a small mass removed from her left eyelid. So we’ll see how the hormone therapy goes. I’m relieved it isn’t more serious.
Poor girl is zonked

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to mention the vet felt the blood work wasn’t necessary at this time

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to mention the vet felt the blood work wasn’t necessary at this time
Also want to add,
Princess has remained very groggy for almost a full day which had me concerned. I just couldn’t understand how a urinalysis (Centesis) via ultrasound could affect her so much. Add that to the local anesthetic for removal of a small benign mass on her left eyelid. She’s improved today but still very tired. I spoke to the vet this morning and he said her reaction was fairly normal. I will pamper her and keep a close watch.
Thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My girl Princess has improved but I’m still concerned there is more going on. I’ve been reading about cushings and want to have some tests to figure out more. I read this:
The two most common tests to detect Cushing’s disease are the ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) stimulation test and the LDDS (low-dose dexamethasone suppression) test. Im curious what you think about thes tests? Are they accurate and a reliable way to diagnose cushings? Will her hormone therapy affect those tests?
I realize these are questions for her vet but I’m trying to figure out appropriate questions. I’m trying to advocate for her by at least learning more about potential issues. Which I believe is my vets responsibility but I’m uncertain her vet is focused enough on her. I need to find another vet which will mean traveling out of my area. I don’t look forward to additional COVID exposure but am resigned to this to assuage my doubts. I sincerely hope you and your families are safe. My best to this wonderful group

·
Super Moderator
7,105 Posts
We did the low dose on Gracie, but only after her regular bloodwork was showing clear signs of Cushing's in combination with her physical symptoms. For her, it was a very unpleasant test. By then she had an insatiable appetite, and fasting plus multiple visits to the vet in one day for bloodwork was stressful. By the last visit, she was shaking like a leaf.

That said, her experience with the disease may have been better if we'd caught it sooner. She was borderline for a few years.

In retrospect, during that time, we could have possibly staved off full-blown Cushing's with holistic changes. Our vet didn't believe in this, though. And I didn't advocate well enough for Gracie. I let the vet make me feel silly for asking so many questions.

When she wanted to do further testing, I said no. I felt Gracie was too weak, too sick, and had had enough. But this is where faith in your vet really comes into play—when it's time to make those tough decisions. Much better to catch disease in its early stages.

I know covid complicates things. I'm sorry. :( But if you do have a vet you trust, it may be worth the trip.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ask everyone I know who they take their pets to. I’m amazed at how many just take them to the same clinic I do and don’t seem to interact with the vet much if at all. A holistic vet is a good idea. I believe she may have cushings but it’s just beginning so I’m hopeful I can find a vet who will be able and willing to diagnose her properly.
Peggy,
Do you think the DES hormone could create more problems given she have cushings? I have the next few days off so I’ll be able to research that more
Take care

·
Super Moderator
7,105 Posts
I ask everyone I know who they take their pets to. I’m amazed at how many just take them to the same clinic I do and don’t seem to interact with the vet much if at all. A holistic vet is a good idea. I believe she may have cushings but it’s just beginning so I’m hopeful I can find a vet who will be able and willing to diagnose her properly.
Peggy,
Do you think the DES hormone could create more problems given she have cushings? I have the next few days off so I’ll be able to research that more
Take care
I wish I knew. I'm sorry. :( I'm going to be crossing my fingers you find a vet who takes a real interest in helping you get to the bottom of this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts