Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi--
We've had Harley for about 5 months. He is 2 yo spoo. He is so loving and sweet and we are crazy about him. He came to us house trained and he had never had an accident in the house unless he was sick. Last week he started peeing on the couch...and I don't mean on the legs, he apparently got up on the couch and peed on the cushions. This has happened 3 different times. I'm not sure he hasn't completely ruined our relatively new couch. What in the world would make him do this all of a sudden? Any body else ever experience this?

Thanks in advance-
DL

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Sounds like he's marking. They start to do that around that age and it can be a real problem. Is he neutered?

Oops, reread and realized he's 2 years old and not 5 months! Hmm, if this behaviour has just started, you might want to get him checked out by your vet. It's good to rule out a urinary infection or something.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree, it could be a urinary problem, that is the first thing I would check. If it is not, then he may be stressed over something, this could be his way of dealing with something that is bothering him. The problem would be to figure out what that could be.

You say you have had him for 5 months now. Is he allowed to roam freely all the time or is he crated when you are not home/not able to watch him? Even though he was already house broken, when dogs go to new homes they can revert due to everything in life being different for them. If he has not/is not being crated when you are not home or at night, it is always best, even if they were previously house broken, to crate a new dog for some time. This allows the dog to become accustomed to your schedule and the way of your household without making "mistakes" due to stress or uncertainty. If you are crating him, then you may need to keep him leashed in the same room as you during the day till he gets the idea that he needs to be clean in the house.

Another thought, do you have another dog, one that lays on the couch? If so, he may be marking it to show his place in the home?? Just some thoughts on possibilities.

I feel your frustration, I would be so upset if my dog ruined a fairly new, good couch, those are not cheap. Best of luck finding out what the cause is and then fixing the problem.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My first question is : "Is he fixed" ??? If not - you have to do it ASAP. He might be marking !!! If he had infection he would be peeing all over the place, not just sofa :rolffleyes:.IMO

If he is fixed and has no urinary problems, than he is developing some behavioral problems and sooner you deal with them and correct them, easier it will be. I never had a dog with that problem or know anybody , so I am sorry that I can not offer more insight. I would ask a trainer for advice if I were you :rolffleyes:

I wish you best of luck !

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Wow that's an odd habit. I'd have to call the vet and tell them but it sounds like he's acting out for some reason. Is he allowed on the couch when you are around? If so maybe keeping him off the couch would help. If you aren't there maybe you should crate him or keep him in a gated off area?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sounds like an unneutered male that is around a female dog that is in heat, marking his territory to me. I guess it could be a urinary tract infection, but like wishpoo said, seems like if this were the case, why is he just peeing on the sofa? Has there been any females on the sofa, especially any that may be coming into heat? If you find out that it is not an infection, you might want to try a male belly band which you can buy from just about any pet store. Try it for a while and if your boy pees he will not like it, because he will pee on himself and it should break him of this habit pretty quick. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the good insight. He is neutered. We did have a female dog before him (she died so is gone) but she was spayed. Neither she nor he are allowed on the furniture. However, she would get on the couch occassionally when we were gone so he could be smelling her. He was allowed to sit on the couch at his last home and is not allowed to here. It seems strange to me that all of a sudden after 5 months he's just now starting this. Maybe he thought we were temporary and now he knows he's here to stay and is unhappy about not being able to be on the couch. (We usually put aluminum foil on it when we are gone so he won't get on the couch. The times he has peed have been when we leave the foil off. We have a 4 year old boy, so we may leave thinking the couch has foil on it but realize that he may have removed it without us knowing.)

He actually does seem a little down to me...not following me as much as usual. He is very playful, too though. It seems like a behavioral issue to me but I suppose he could have a urinary infection. He has peed no other place than the couch.

He is now starting to chew up more things, too. He chewed a shoe today. In the past he has mostly only chewed toys, but I don't think it's a good sign that he's branching out to chew new things. Would love some advice with that, too.

I think we're going to need to start crating him at night and when we're not here to keep him out of trouble. He was originally crate trained but they moved on to letting him be free in the house. He occassionally chewed something of theirs, but they didn't have the issues we're beginning to have.

Thanks again--
DL

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think we're going to need to start crating him at night and when we're not here to keep him out of trouble. He was originally crate trained but they moved on to letting him be free in the house. He occassionally chewed something of theirs, but they didn't have the issues we're beginning to have.
That's probably your best bet. If he's reverting to puppy like behaviour, best to treat him as you would a puppy. At the very least it will save your couch from further damage!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Could it be that he is starting to show dominance and thinks he can do whatever pleases him ? Hmmmm... At the beginning he was unsure of his place and was cautious and "followed the leader " (you), and than now is "not following" ???

If I were you, I would check his health and if he is perfectly healthy, I would start using the crate again and do some training with obedience during the day. Also, make sure he has a lot of exercise during the day - he might be bored and asking for attention by doing silly stuff !!!! Poodles are very emotional creatures , almost human-like in intelligence and you can try to observe him as you would your 4-year old ; ))) ! Many same rules would apply - including " Go to your room NOW " !!!! LOL

I wish you best of luck and I think that he is just testing his boundaries ; ) .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts