Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Jasper is now just under 12 weeks old. He does not pee in his crate (which he can stay in for about 2-3 hours at a time) but he has gone out and pottied and been confined in the kitchen and peed 15 minutes after he's been out to potty. The thing is that unless I keep him crated most of the day off and on, he will have accidents even in the kitchen. I've caught him and scolded him and he knows where he's supposed to potty because as soon as he's out of his crate and I say let's go potty he goes to the back door. He does NOT need to get in the habit of peeing every 15 mins. He can and does hold it for 2 hours at a time. I don't understand this behavior because Harry was the easiest dog I've ever owned to housebreak. He had one accident in the house after we got him (14 weeks) and I caught him and scolded him and he never had another one. We never even had to crate Harry we just kept him confined to the kitchen until we were sure we could trust him in the rest of the house.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
He either needs to be tethered to you or he needs a smaller space than the whole kitchen.

I start my puppies out in a small Xpen. When they show me that they will keep it clean, I increase the space making the Xpen larger and then using it to cordon off space in my kitchen. When they are house trained to these smaller areas, they eventually get the whole kitchen. Using this method we ultimately work up to the whole house.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He either needs to be tethered to you or he needs a smaller space than the whole kitchen.

I start my puppies out in a small Xpen. When they show me that they will keep it clean, I increase the space making the Xpen larger and then using it to cordon off space in my kitchen. When they are house trained to these smaller areas, they eventually get the whole kitchen. Using this method we ultimately work up to the whole house.
Well, we don't have an xpen so can I just keep using the crate? I guess I can have him tethered to me during the time he's out.

How long in the xpen were they in there before the accident became your fault and not theirs? If they kept it clean for 2 hours they were allowed a bigger space?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know exactly what you're going through... and I'll tell you why!!

I agree that he needs a smaller area or next to you at all times. Lucy was 9 weeks when we got her and she was the same way. She wouldn't have an accident in her crate or the kitchen but the minute we gave her a little more freedom, she would pee even though she'd just been outside. I've never had a dog that wasn't trained within a week so I was convinced she had an infection so I had a urinalysis done. And that was negative. The vet gave the same advice - crate or small areas and if necessary take her out every 15 minutes. This was still going on and when I was talking to the trainer, she said to ask for a sterile urinalysis done so that's what I did. By this time I thought something really bad was wrong with her kidney's. Well, the day after I had this test done she has never had another accident since. It was like a switch flipped. Of course when the vet called yesterday, everything was negative. So I spent $200 and now know that her kidney's are healthy!
It took 2 1/2 months to get to this point.

Another thing we did was take her out on a leash to potty before she'd start playing and not give any attention until she was done to avoid distracting her. Hang in there!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Desmond's got this same problem, but he's 7 months old... He had it really bad when he was younger, he would ring the bell to go out every 20 minutes or so, and would refuse to completely "empty the tank" when we were outside. This would result in a very confused me when he would tinkle on the floor 20 minutes after being outside. He still will surprise me with a little "extra" dribble and it's a very tough behavior to understand, because I already take him out more often than I should need to at this age. I scold him every single time I catch him peeing inside, praise him when he goes outside, and he understands that he goes outside (as he does the same thing yours does when I say "C'mon let's go potty", runs up to the door). I had Desmond checked for a UTI and nothing, so it has to be some strange behavioral thing for him...
I would recommend getting your pup checked out too if this behavior continues. Not having control of the bladder and dribbling and such is a sign of a UTI, so watch out for it. However, your puppy is still young, and you can probably train this out of him if it's behavioral.

What we seemed to have noticed is that Desmond has accidents a lot when he is very excited or stressed. He is very sensitive, we know that, but I'm not the best with handling my frustrations and will often fuss at the computer or what-have-you for not working right, and I think it upsets him a lot. It seems like when I'm having a bad day, so is he in terms of accidents because I fuss at things and he may think I'm yelling at him. Maybe your pup has a similar situation?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Well, we don't have an xpen so can I just keep using the crate? I guess I can have him tethered to me during the time he's out.

How long in the xpen were they in there before the accident became your fault and not theirs? If they kept it clean for 2 hours they were allowed a bigger space?
Tethering works well because a puppy usually won't urinate right on your feet and if they do, hopefully you can catch them right in the act. :)

I'm trying to remember how this goes. Really, having a puppy is like child birth. You tend to forget all of the unpleasant parts pretty quickly.

Two hours dry in an Xpen would be great for a 12 week old puppy. But even if they can do this, they won't necessarily understand that the whole kitchen is off limits. The trick is to increase space very slowing.

I think my routine at that age was like: out of the crate... pottty.... good for 20-30 minutes directly supervised in the house (tethered or playing directly with me). The outside again.... if no potty then back into the crate or small Xpen for up to an hour and then outside for potty. If you go then great you can have more time loose in a small area... if not then back into the crate/Xpen.

I also use baby gates to cordon off small sections of my kitchen and office. These work great if you don't have an Xpen.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
We're still dealing with this issue at 15 weeks :eek:hwell: It's good to get reminders on how to deal with it!
Last night, we were tucking the baby into her crib, and Rogan literally starting peeing RIGHT THERE beside her bed... my hubby felt it splashing against his leg (I know, GROSS!) and was able to "catch him in the act and reprimand him" which was good, maybe he'll realise what we're expecting from him! He's done this alot lately! He had just been outside too!! ARGH!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could understand their thinking on this. At the age of 15 weeks they should know better than to just stand and pee where they are. I think some grasp this better than others because my Harry just never had this problem.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I wish I could understand their thinking on this. At the age of 15 weeks they should know better than to just stand and pee where they are. I think some grasp this better than others because my Harry just never had this problem.

But think like a dog. Dogs don't urinate in their "homes", but for a 15 week old puppy the idea of "home" extends to their crate and maybe the kitchen or laundry room depending on where they have been kept.

A 15 week old puppy clearly doesn't see the difference between front lawn and baby's room. How could it? Why should it?

Also, putting a puppy outside to potty is the kiss of death when it comes to potty training, IMHO. Now that I am on my 4th puppy, I can see very clear differences in the bathroom habits of my dogs based on how I handled them. Sabrina (8 yrs) and Delilah (8 mths) were ALWAYS taken out on leash and given a potty command. Both house trained very quickly with few accidents. I trust them completely Izze (almost 3) and Flash (a puppy from my 1st litter that was eventually placed) were both just sort of kicked outside to do their business. Both took a long time to house train and to this day, Izze has issues with certain parts of our house (she is NOT allowed in the basement alone!).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
IA with cbrand...
I had already been thinking that maybe it's time to start taking Rogan out on a leash so I can reward each pee & poop that he does on the grass and make a huge big deal out of it :cheer2: ... lately, he's just going outside and hanging out while I do other things inside. He barks when he wants to come in. I'm pretty sure that's the problem... like Cesar always says, it takes discipline to train a dog ... really, to train the people is more accurate!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I always go out with Jasper even in the backyard. I want to see him go and always say good potty for him after he's gone. I also know when the pooping needs to happen and after a few accidents I have been better able to gauge the pooping so that accidents aren't more likely to happen.

I tend to feel guilty if he doesn't have more opportunity to venture into other parts of the house but honestly I don't want to clean up pee on the carpet. It's already stained in the girls' room because of a pooping accident and I used the steam cleaner so I'd like it to stay unpeed on if I can help it.

For now I guess we'll have to keep an eye on him while he's not in his crate and gating off in the kitchen and going about my business isn't keeping an eye on him.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Thanks cbrand for your suggestions.

Zulee is still working on her potty training too. She knows how to use the doggy door, but I know she doesn't always know when it's time to go. I either keep her on the couch with me, in her crate, or we are outside. Her favorite treat is cheese. I tell her that if she goes Potty that I will give her CHEESE!

I wouldn't say this makes her go any faster, but she definitely knows she is a good girl as she will run to the refrigerator after demonstrating she did the deed. Regardless, there are still times I slip and think "OH, it will just take a minute for me to do this (and she just went 10 minutes ago)." I turn to find a piddle.

Thankfully we have wood floors, and I started using an enzyme cleaner to make sure it gets rid of the smell. Using products with Ammonia will entice them to go.

I'm sure it won't be much longer and all of our pups will be know what we want.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm so glad you made this post. Cash has the same problem, for the most part. I know it is really my problem, because we're the ones who determine his "loose area" in the house. What he usually does though is he'll go to the door, but nobody realizes it and then he pee's right in front of the door. It's usually me who steps in it and then I tell myself what a naughty person to not have been paying attention! lol. One of these day's I'm going to teach him to ring a bell. Maybe that will give me a chance to get him out in time!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I understand your frustration. Fonzie, at almost 5 months, will urinate in his own bed in his crate! He came from a puppy mill, so I don't think he understands keeping his personal area clean. Any suggestions? I'm considering taking his bed out during the day - I'm tired of washing it everday.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
NOW IM WORRIED! Olie - is peeing in the house. He has not caught on like my 2 Poms. And Poms are known for being smart but difficut to potty train. Olie on the other hand will come inside and pop a squat!! He doesnt even show signs of going to the door yet. (3 weeks with is) he is still young and I am trying to be patient but the smell of stale piss ugh I hate it. Sorry it had to be said lol!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Oh sorry, he is crate trained, does well there. And we do confine his space its the only way it worked with aoki and coco.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
NOW IM WORRIED! Olie - is peeing in the house. He has not caught on like my 2 Poms. And Poms are known for being smart but difficut to potty train. Olie on the other hand will come inside and pop a squat!! He doesnt even show signs of going to the door yet. (3 weeks with is) he is still young and I am trying to be patient but the smell of stale piss ugh I hate it. Sorry it had to be said lol!
Are you taking Olie outside on a leash or are you just letting him outside? If you just let him out then there is no guarantee that he is actually eliminating. Puppies can't really tell the difference between inside and outside for a long time.

House training is like any other skill. Set the dog up for success. Give the command, wait for the result, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I understand your frustration. Fonzie, at almost 5 months, will urinate in his own bed in his crate! He came from a puppy mill, so I don't think he understands keeping his personal area clean. Any suggestions? I'm considering taking his bed out during the day - I'm tired of washing it everday.
Take all bedding out of his crate. Make it impossibly small... only big enough to stand up and make a tight turn.

You are fighting an uphill battle because many puppy mill dogs live their whole lives in crates. They eat, sleep, breed and potty all in the same small area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
India is doing well with the house trainning but she has yet to do a poo outside i have had her for 4 days. does anyone have any tips or suggestions? she is 10 weeks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts