Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh.

Two weekends ago a family friend brought their dog for a play date. They came in the front door and we went straight to the yard through the basement, but in the sixty seconds the dog was in the house it peed on the carpet in our basement.

馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が

I cleaned it immediately and multiple times afterwards with enzyme cleaner and then carpet cleaner and I can鈥檛 smell anything but I鈥檓 clearly not a poodle. Ben has now peed on the same spot twice, both times in the middle of the night (his only peeing in the house since he joined us in June).

After Ben鈥檚 first pee I pulled out an old baby gate and blocked the stairs. Problem solved by management(!!) that is until a teenager leaves the gate open after I go to bed. Sure enough, gate got left open last night and another accident was discovered this morning.

When he鈥檚 been down there since, with supervision, he has shown no interest in the area, does not go near it. So there鈥檚 been no opportunity to coach him in the inappropriateness of his choices.

I have no problems with leaving the baby gate up all the time. But there are going to be occasions when it gets left open. It鈥檚 just life.

Am I doomed to have an accident every time he gets downstairs unsupervised?

Is it worth getting the carpet deep cleaned or after 3 big dog pees has the mess permeated through to the underlay and there鈥檚 no point?

Should I put ripping out the carpet on my to-do list and put down something easier to clean?

Should I sell the kids (joking!!)?

Super Moderator
Argh. That's an annoying one.

It may be a little inconvenient and/or an eyesore, but if it's one very specific spot, can you just put something over it for a few weeks? That might give him time to chill out.

Some dogs mark after another dog visits, even if the visitor doesn't leave his own mark behind. A few weeks will let the memory fade.

Then, if that doesn't work, I say rip up the carpet if that's really an option. High-quality laminate is so durable and such a breeze to clean. We used Kilz Primer/Sealer on the sub-floor before laying ours.

(The previous homeowner was ill and clearly stopped letting her dachshund out to potty. Ripping up her carpet was our #1 priority before moving in.)

Registered
From experience, it鈥檚 really hard to keep a dog from peeing (or pooping) in an area once it鈥檚 been peed on. I would try using a one-to-one mixture of vinegar and water and let it sit for a while, then rinse it clean. If that doesn鈥檛 work, then maybe ripping the carpet is the best solution. Unless it鈥檚 a pricey carpet, then I would try professional cleaners before ripping it.

Carpets in the house are not ideal when you have a dog.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

It is super annoying. I鈥檝e been so careful. We had made it 4 months, no accidents and he was/is starting to let us know when he needs to go out.

I really hope this is just a temporary setback.

My poor partner. Is not going to be happy when I announce my next project haha. I want to start ripping it out now!

Registered
I like the put something on top of it idea.

I once saw an enzyme cleaner designed for carpets that said you should use the same volume of enzyme cleaner as the pee. Basically pour a couple cups on, to get into ALL the same places the original pee, and any subsequent pee went. Worth a try before you start talking about carpet removal!!!!
Maybe enzyme clean with a whole bunch, then keep the room closed off for a few weeks while he forgets

Registered
I agree I would try a deep soak with enzyme cleaner or vinegar for a few hours. Then maybe apply some citrus oil to the area to try make it an unpleasant area for him to visit.

Premium Member
I have no other advise on how to handle the stinky spot, but I do think you can lick this problem with good management, most especially through preventing access to that particular area.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
This problem could be 100% prevented by management. I totally agree, which is part of my annoyance/frustration.

Unfortunately, there are several teens and a partner also living with the dog and I who are not at all diligent with this sort of stuff. In fact attention to detail would not appear on any of their top 150 strengths lists. It鈥檚 my #2 strength but also a curse living with this bunch as I could easily go crazy, luckily my #1 strength is patience!

I鈥檓 going to try to rig up an automatic baby gate closer. And put a whole bottle of enzyme cleaner down. And start scheming on floor options, it was a part of our 3 year plan but the priority list may get shuffled!

As always I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and insight!

Super Moderator
I understand that frustration. It can be so hard getting the entire household on the same page.

From a management perspective, I actually think putting something bulky over top of the spot might be more effective than gating off the area entirely.

It's one of those things I can't really back up with hard facts. More of a gut feeling.

Otherwise Ben might feel even more compelled to mark once he's granted access again.

Registered
This problem could be 100% prevented by management. I totally agree, which is part of my annoyance/frustration.

Unfortunately, there are several teens and a partner also living with the dog and I who are not at all diligent with this sort of stuff. In fact attention to detail would not appear on any of their top 150 strengths lists. It鈥檚 my #2 strength but also a curse living with this bunch as I could easily go crazy, luckily my #1 strength is patience!

I鈥檓 going to try to rig up an automatic baby gate closer. And put a whole bottle of enzyme cleaner down. And start scheming on floor options, it was a part of our 3 year plan but the priority list may get shuffled!

As always I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and insight!
Unkind of me, but in my house growing up it would have been " you let the dog in there, you can clean up the mess". Not wanting to clean up dog pee is a strong motivator to not be forgetful :D (and I say this as someone for whom attention to detail would be far from in my top 150 strengths)

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Oh the teen did clean today, twice. And if it happens again, the culprit will be on the hook.

I just want to prevent the dog from practicing this any more than he already has. He鈥檚 already a big boy, just turned 3. I didn鈥檛 think about the possibility of him lifting a leg on a smell that鈥檚 hidden, so far it鈥檚 been the two pees right in the middle of the floor. As far as I know he doesn鈥檛 know that lifting a leg in the house is a possibility and he cannot learn that it is possible.

Plan going forward is. Solid cleaning, supervised time in the basement only. Eventually get new flooring!

Registered
That鈥檚 a tough one. I would see if covering it with something may help? Or blocking off access so he can鈥檛 rehearse the behaviour. But he may as well go when you let him back in.

My old girl in her last few weeks made a lot of accidents in the basement where there was carpet. My spoo immediately gravitated towards those spots as a puppy. We cleaned the spots when my old girl made accidents with enzyme cleaner and scrubbed with oxy to remove the stains and did a deep carpet cleaning so didn鈥檛 think anything of it until we brought home my spoo. We ended up ripping the carpet, pouring concrete and doing new flooring in the entire basement because I didn鈥檛 want her having the chance to rehearse the accident making behaviour (and hey, the perfect excuse to get rid of the carpet that I hated 馃槀)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts