Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to laugh.

My 14 week old mini was getting a bit long haired on the head. So a few days ago I scissored the hair on her head. It looked so out of proportion to her fluffy body. I immediately went ahead with the curved scissors and trimmed her whole body because she is so NOT ready for a full trim with the clippers. She’s too freaked out by it. Boy, I went to town with that haircut. It’s SHORT. Oops.

I knew bad haircuts were going to be a part of her life for awhile as I learn to groom her myself. I can tell she’s self conscious from the hack job (pics will be posted eventually. Maybe in her 52 week thread?) and she’s also a bit chilled because it’s getting cold where I live.
She barely would eat the first day after I did it.
So I thought I’d let her sleep in bed with me tonight. Normally I don’t let my dogs sleep with me but I felt so guilty about her haircut that I wanted her to be extra warm next to me and know she’s still loved. She normally sleeps in a crate with a dog bed in it on the main floor and does great there.

She did great in my bed last night. No problems all night. Then this morning I made the mistake of waking up and hanging out in bed for about 20 minutes instead of taking her out to pee right away. She apparently wasn’t able to wait for me to take her out anymore, so she walked to the corner of the king size bed, squatted And emptied about 80% of her bladder before I picked her up and took her out. She doesn’t yet let me know she has to potty, just gets taken outside immediately after waking up regularly during the day. That’s what I get!

I’m hoping the Nature’s Miracle cleaner will be enough to clean the mattress. :noidea:

·
Registered
125 Posts
One of our late poodles had his first seizure (the bladder almost always empties during a grand mal seizure) while lying on our bed. I'm allergic to dust mites, so
I keep a washable. waterproof mattress cover on my bed. I was never happier about that then when the dog seized! I highly recommend one, even if you don't have asthma.

Try putting your pup up on the grooming table every day for a few minutes and giving her treats. Start with the clippers just lying on the table, then in your hand, then touching her while turned off, then touching her while running, etc. Treat, treat, treat. Just keep working up to full clipping slowly.

I clipped one shy puppy at home until she was a year old. Big, big mistake. Even if you plan on home grooming now, you may find in the future that you want to use a pro occasionally and it will be easier, if you get Puppy of to a good start when she's young. Our current pup had a body clip twice at home and face/tail/paws three times at home plus daily puppy-fluff brushing in the six weeks before he was fully vaccinated. He went to the pro groomer the same week as his final vaccine. I know that sounds like overkill, but when he went to the pros, they were really impressed by how cooperative he was for his very first big boy grooming. Now he thinks they're good friends and wants to stop in for a visit whenever we walk past the shop.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Well, at least you’ve learned your puppy needs to go as soon as she opens her eyes... For your mattress, unfortunately pee is very hard to get rid of. Maybe call a specialized company ?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My girl sleeping in the bed cant be a daily thing for a few reasons. But not because she peed. That was totally my fault! I will definitely look into getting a waterproof mattress cover for those special occasions. It does seem like a good thing to use for anyone though.

I’m hoping my mattress isn’t ruined and that the nature’s miracle cleaner did the trick.

Also, how scary it would be to see your dog have a major seizure. Awww.

As far as the training with grooming, we are definitely going slowly in steps like you described since she came home at 8 weeks. I don’t think what you did for your pup at home is overkill at all!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, at least you’ve learned your puppy needs to go as soon as she opens her eyes... For your mattress, unfortunately pee is very hard to get rid of. Maybe call a specialized company ?
I’m used to letting her out of the crate and taking her outside to pee first thing in the morning (even before I get to pee)! My brain glitched since I had her in the bed with me instead. I totally know that she needs to go out to pee right away. Whoops! If the nature’s miracle doesn’t work then I learned an expensive lesson.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’m used to letting her out of the crate and taking her outside to pee first thing in the morning (even before I get to pee)! My brain glitched since I had her in the bed with me instead. I totally know that she needs to go out to pee right away. Whoops! If the nature’s miracle doesn’t work then I learned an expensive lesson.
With not a moment to spare. Take the time to put your puppy on the ground, while you're putting your jacket on, and bam, he's pee'ed on the floor. From reading around, and logically, he's used to peeing on mats.

14 weeks? Too soon to be on a bed, you found out the hard way.

How much water are you giving her? AKC website says 1 ounce for every pound during the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts