Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pedey, our little deformed toy poodle was groomed on Saturday.

We've only had him for 6 months and this is the 2nd time we've had him professionally groomed.

Because of his back leg deformities, it's difficult to do anything fancy, so he just gets the basics.

I've never owned a Poodle before. I'm finding this grooming thing a lot of fun. I love how he is transformed into a different dog after a hair-cut!

I do have a question for everyone though. Pedey is black and after he was groomed he has very dry skin and tons of flakes and static. Did they use too harsh of a shampoo or is there a leave on conditioner that would tone down the static (mostly his ears) and eliminate the flakes? I've started giving all my dogs ground flax seed in hope of combating the dry skin from the inside, but I just started that today.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh - He is just adorable! I don't know much about the shampoos, or conditioners... just that we have a really mild oatmeal shampoo used on our dogs... There are professional groomers on here though that will have lots of good advice!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
What a swwetheart. Does his deformity impede his ability to walk? Bless you for loving him and being his guardian angel!!

I would say keep up with the flax, and maybe add a bit of olive oil to their food. A good, gentle shampoo with regular baths (and make sure he is rinsed completely) and you should see a difference soon. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a swwetheart. Does his deformity impede his ability to walk? Bless you for loving him and being his guardian angel!!

I would say keep up with the flax, and maybe add a bit of olive oil to their food. A good, gentle shampoo with regular baths (and make sure he is rinsed completely) and you should see a difference soon. Thanks for sharing.
Yes. He has grade 4 luxating patellas in both back legs. The severity of the patellas had caused both his femurs and tibias to bow. When he walks, his legs swivel in so he curves his spine to compensate. He basically looks like he's about to take a poop all the time.
He can walks and actually run but he mostly does it with his front legs. He walks on his front legs a lot too (holding his back legs in the air).

We recently got him a cart but he's not taking to it very well. He lifts himself out of the support in the back and won't relax into cart. We're hoping that once spring comes we can get him outdoors with the cart and get him moving around and comfortable with it.

Thanks for the shampoo advice. Shampooing more won't dry his skin more?

Along with his deformities, he also has an issue where his penis comes out of it's sheath and won't retract. I'm finding it's much worse after a groom because I think it gets all dried out (the poor baby). It was like a raisin and he kept licking it so I applied some Bag Balm and gently pushed it back in.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Something is not right. I would never let a dog leave my shop with static AND flakiness. Even if the dog was totally done and I was brushing one last time, I would re-bathe and find the cause of the flakes. I would forget the flax and switch to a fish based oil. I would remove all corn,wheat and soy from his diet, no milkbone type treats and I would also have you comb the ear fur and keep checking for flakes. Flakes are NOT normal. I use Les Pooch hypo shampoo AND hypo conditioner to seal the hair shaft. These products remove build-up left behind from other products that were created usung animal by-products. YUK

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something is not right. I would never let a dog leave my shop with static AND flakiness. Even if the dog was totally done and I was brushing one last time, I would re-bathe and find the cause of the flakes. I would forget the flax and switch to a fish based oil. I would remove all corn,wheat and soy from his diet, no milkbone type treats and I would also have you comb the ear fur and keep checking for flakes. Flakes are NOT normal. I use Les Pooch hypo shampoo AND hypo conditioner to seal the hair shaft. These products remove build-up left behind from other products that were created usung animal by-products. YUK
I didn't notice the flakes or static until I got him home.
We heat with a wood stove, and even though we try to add humidity to the air, it's very dry and warm. I have 3 Boston Terriers (also black) that get flaky too it I bath them in the winter. I guess I just always thought it was normal.
He doesn't have scales or chunks of skin coming off, just tiny white flecks mostly on his back. He's like a little chunk of velcro....he picks up every piece of lint and fluff in his coat and I'm constantly picking stuff out. :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Awww. He is a sweet little guy. It sounds like you are both so fortunate to have one another.

I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts